IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, I haven't. I normally hate Woody Allen so that's actually the only reason why I haven't watched it. And why do I hate Woody Allen you ask? Watch Vicky Cristina Barcelona and that ought to explain why.

But I must say that I really enjoyed Match Point so maybe I should give this one a chance. I loved how it went from being a typical romantic movie to making the audience uneasy when all of a sudden

the ghosts starts appearing

Nope, I haven't. I normally hate Woody Allen so that's actually the only reason why I haven't watched it. And why do I hate Woody Allen you ask? Watch Vicky Cristina Barcelona and that ought to explain why.

Do you even hate the classics or just his later work like I do? Though I have not given Match Point or Cassandra's Dream a try, so I'm probably being premature. Whatever you do, DO NOT watch Whatever Works.

Do you even hate the classics or just his later work like I do? Though I have not given Match Point or Cassandra's Dream a try, so I'm probably being premature. Whatever you do, DO NOT watch Whatever Works.

I just pretty much hate all Woody Allen movies that starres...well, Woody Allen. His character is always the same neurotic weirdo who walks around talking like Porky Pig. Also, I hated Vicky Cristina Barcelona because at first I thought the narrator was Woody Allen himself and then some of the characters reminded me of people I know.

Haha strange, my consensus, the contrary... I find all the films Allen doesn't star in are flops, though I enjoy his character. So you don't find the films bad per se, you just can't relate or disdain the characters he uses?

i hated Allen for a while because the only movies i'd seen of his were Sleeper and that one about Gene Wilder fucking the sheep. I thought both of them were terribly dated and unfunny but i changed my mind on him someone convinced me to watch Annie Hall and Deconstructing Harry.

Das Weisse Band (2009) This is really really good. A varied set of rich characters, supported by a superb cast, made me experience rural German society and mentality while keeping me at the edge of my seat. 5/5

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

A Serious Man - 9/10 - An eminently watchable film, Larry.

nice!, glad to see someone else in here saw this. Kind of crazy how only 3 people in the whole forum talked about the new Coen bros. Seemed like everyone here saw Burn after reading and had an opinion on it.

I will probably see it again before it leaves the theatre

it played just down the road from me for a week and i couldnt convince myself to wander down there. its not appealing at all. but its back again in a double feature (with 'maid' which looks really low budget and shite) so i got a second chance . can i make i this time? i've got until thursday probably.

Das Weisse Band (2009) This is really really good. A varied set of rich characters, supported by a superb cast, made me experience rural German society and mentality while keeping me at the edge of my seat. 5/5

god damn, i knew it! i missed it at the festival.

Guest Al Hounos

Audition - This one carried a bit of extra weight for me as I'm surrounded by lovely, demure girls here in Korea...

Excellent film, some really sickly funny moments and a story that is more interesting and detailed than it one might guess after reading a plot synopsis.

8/10

Hardware - Awful, awful film. Started off with some awesome post-apocalyptic imagery only to descend into some sort of slasher film where the killer is a crap Johnny-5 replica. Zero character development, bollocks nonsensical ending. On the plus side, Lemmy from Motorhead had a cameo.

god damn, i knew it! i missed it at the festival.

Didn't you know it was a Haneke film? Or it just so happened to be the one you didn't research before watching?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

A Serious Man - 9/10 - An eminently watchable film, Larry.

nice!, glad to see someone else in here saw this. Kind of crazy how only 3 people in the whole forum talked about the new Coen bros. Seemed like everyone here saw Burn after reading and had an opinion on it.

I will probably see it again before it leaves the theatre

it played just down the road from me for a week and i couldnt convince myself to wander down there. its not appealing at all. but its back again in a double feature (with 'maid' which looks really low budget and shite) so i got a second chance . can i make i this time? i've got until thursday probably.

went last night. by myself again. only the 3rd film i've ever seen that way. at first it really was just me but then about 5 people came in. i enjoyed it.

the main point seemed to be "don't worry about the small things (like debt) as bigger problems are coming (like a tornado or whatever was revealed on the xray)". took me a few minutes to work out what they were tryig to say with that last scene (the kid and tornado) but that makes most sense to me as when he sees the tornado he pockets the $20. same with larry, hes been worrying about everything the whole film but he should have been enjoying life as hes about to realize.

the stoned bar mitzvah was great. lots of great scenes. overall an 8/10.

if it had had brad pitt and george clooney then it would have failed like burn after reading. i think burn could have worked with less expectation set by a lesser known cast.

i'm gonna go read about serious on the imdbmb

Suram Fortress.. visually very impressive at times, especially the attention to color and the wide, spacious shots. i didn't care much for the rest and ended up turning off the sound & skipping thru it. which is what happens every time i try to sit down for a paradjanov film. such a contrived, theatrical style.

Shotgun Stories... pretty good, a bleak shakespearian tale in bass ackwards Arkansahhh. shitty music (where's a bluegrass banjopickin soundtrack when you need one). but a great michael shannon.

going to watch Kin-Dza-Dza tonight

nice! looking forward to it for tomorrow, hopefully.

Just got MBM - 2005 Travelogue DVD which is a lot better than even hoped for. It's all about the presentation.

shock and awe. i was shocked that a filmmaker would have the balls to delve this far into some kind of fetishistic adolescent fantasy. if he spent 300 million dollars on this, it's probably the most ridiculous use of that much money i've ever seen on screen. it felt like a cliche machine wrote the script. probably some of the most horrendous dialogue i've ever heard, in terms of generic script writing. but then, of course, it was beautiful. i can't complain about the special effects, or uncanny valley, or anything like that. the 3d was used perfectly, added depth of field without ever being gimmicky. for a movie with this much cgi, i was impressed how real the environments and lighting looked. in the end, it's a great movie if you're ten years old, but for a cynical guy in his twenties who grew up on james cameron, it's a major disappointment. maybe battle angel alita will be more interesting, if not more adult.

Archived