A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liquid Sky

wierd, different and awesome

LiquidSkyPoster3-786161.jpg

I saw this film a few years back, weirdly fascinating. I was thinking about it the other day but couldn't for the life of me remember the title! Cheers!

braveheart

i don't care if he's crazy, mel gibson can entertain. you know right away that this thing is going to be awesome from the music cue and the title fade in. i saw it when i was pretty young, and revisiting it now it still holds up.

Guest analogue wings

The Box 1/10

You know how Signs starts great then starts beating you around the head with retarded Chrizzo bullshit?

Well, change "great" to "meh" and then multiply the Chrizzo bullshit by about 100.

lol, who would've thought zaphod would give Braveheart a pass. The glaring homophobia and Gibson's messiah complex didn't bother you?

I like it too. Good acting all around; Patrick McGoohan is awesome.

i wouldn't say there's glaring homophobia in it. plenty of directors have a messiah complex, so what if gibson does too. i would have preferred a different actor in the lead role, someone actually scottish who doesn't constantly draw my eye away from things. but i can accept that gibson is, as i said before, crazy. the only real issue i had with this movie was the ending, which seemed drawn out and exhausting. the battle scenes all set a standard for gritty, "realistic" battles in movies and the score is one of the few by james horner that i actually like. there's also some nice nods to kurosawa. no, i don't have a problem with this movie.

Hm, no homophobia? The King's gay son is a caricature of the incompetent, effete homosexual, and you're clearly supposed to laugh when the King throws his lover out the window. But I suppose Gibson's homophobia falls under the larger category of being anti anything that is "un-macho".

By messiah complex I was talking specifically about Gibson's seeming desire to be "purged" by physical abuse in his films, in this case the Jesus-like cart ride and disemboweling. It is odd how it's a recurring theme in his films, even the ones he didn't direct.

I put on Terminator Salvation, both nicely lubed up from Newcastle and extremely great quality homegrown and I shut this off about 40 min in. From the opening credits they let us know that it was essentially, NOT a Terminator movie, so my doubts unfortunately began immediately. Then the opening scene with HBC was just off putting. It just seemed SO fucking typical. I mean, the action wasn't BAD, but it wasn't interesting either. Not much happens. Fuck this shit. Travesty. I put on some episodes of twin peaks instead. Suck my cock McG.

twin peaks is definitely a better choice than sitting through a scene of Helena bohnam carter showing us the face of skynet

I didn't even get that far man. I was buzzed and feeling pretty content, ready to watch a "popcorn" movie, but I'll be goddamned if it lost my interest after 2 minutes in. I can't believe I lasted 40. I BUSTED OUT LAUGHING the 1st time Bale opens his mouth.

Hm, no homophobia? The King's gay son is a caricature of the incompetent, effete homosexual, and you're clearly supposed to laugh when the King throws his lover out the window. But I suppose Gibson's homophobia falls under the larger category of being anti anything that is "un-macho".

By messiah complex I was talking specifically about Gibson's seeming desire to be "purged" by physical abuse in his films, in this case the Jesus-like cart ride and disemboweling. It is odd how it's a recurring theme in his films, even the ones he didn't direct.

i didn't say no homophobia, i said no glaring homophobia. there's a difference. i'm sure there's homophobic undertones and yeah, his son is a caricature, but i can find a number of films where that's the case. i can find that case for female characters in many, many great films as well.

sherlock holmes

really enjoyed this despite low expectations. a little too fast paced, maybe, but it kept me entertained and seemed to catch the spirit of sherlock holmes. some nice set pieces and costumes as well.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

public enemies was ok, every movie i've seen johny depp and christan bale in together in for the past 10 years has been practically watchable.

on netflix instant:

can't hardly wait 5/10

seth green lol. a few laughs and jerry o connel shows up at the end too. a 90s also-ran movie.

Just watched theuncut version of Cannibal Holocaust (merry Xmas). The plot seems stronger than when I watched some edited version years ago, not a great movie, but better than my memory of the film. Watching Valerie andher week of wonders today

Just watched theuncut version of Cannibal Holocaust (merry Xmas). The plot seems stronger than when I watched some edited version years ago, not a great movie, but better than my memory of the film. Watching Valerie andher week of wonders today

How do you mean the plot seems stronger? Doesn't the uncut version simply have more gore? But yeah, it's a powerful film alright.

Just watched 'Big Nothing' very nice film Big Nothing

ahh yeah, tscherkassky's instructions for a light and sound machine is one of my favorites. for more austrian avant goodness check out virgil widrich's fast film and copy shop.

why do some of you guys just list the films you've watched? At least write a few sentences to inspire others to see the good ones.

Just rewatched Stalker over 2 days while doing my exercises. Such a great film. People usually seem to compare Solaris (orig) and 2001 (probably because Tarkovsky himself felt Solaris was his answer to 2001), but I think Stalker can also go head-to-head with 2001 as most powerful philosophical Sci-fi flick. It's great because nothing really happens and yet it's arguably never boring. It's sort of a sci-fi "waiting for godot." Lovely, beautifully acted and mesmerizing film. I love the way Russians are obsessed with how faith, art, doubt, and science intersect. I must have russian blood in me somewhere. 10/10

Archived