Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest viscosity

The Isle 9/10 for cinematography and those neat little house boats

fish hook scenes were :wtf:

All About Lily Chou Chou-9/10

really hit home for some reason. beautiful landscapes, very poetic in its direction...nostalgic too. and the soundtrack was top notch!

Godfathers I and II. I saw the first one in 1991 but never the second, someone mentioned them again in this thread so I figured I'd watch them both back to back. Not sure what to say about them really. Second one has the best acting from Pacino I've seen. The set design/cinematography/lighting are flat out stunning; the shots of early-1900s New York were better than I've seen in any other film. Second film was much denser than the first, and I found my attention wandering more. While the flashbacks were handled pretty flawlessly I don't really like that method of storytelling as it breaks continuity. Both films are more films I respect more than love. I find something like the Sopranos more emotionally engaging (though it probably romanticizes the mob more).

Godfathers I and II. I saw the first one in 1991 but never the second, someone mentioned them again in this thread so I figured I'd watch them both back to back. Not sure what to say about them really. Second one has the best acting from Pacino I've seen. The set design/cinematography/lighting are flat out stunning; the shots of early-1900s New York were better than I've seen in any other film. Second film was much denser than the first, and I found my attention wandering more. While the flashbacks were handled pretty flawlessly I don't really like that method of storytelling as it breaks continuity. Both films are more films I respect more than love. I find something like the Sopranos more emotionally engaging (though it probably romanticizes the mob more).

well put! i too just watched Godfather II last night (for the first time), and i watched part I for the first time about a month ago. amazing films!

Guest Alex C

Why only 3/10 for The Road?

Trees Lounge 7/10

Enjoyed Steve Buscemi being the miserable drunk with nothing to live for.

The Godfather films I have never liked, not that they're badly made or anything, I've just always found the whole mafia thing to be excruciantingly boring viewing material.

Why only 3/10 for The Road?

Trees Lounge 7/10

Enjoyed Steve Buscemi being the miserable drunk with nothing to live for.

Trees Lounge is brilliant yes, we don't see enough of Buscemi these days

may be spoilers

The Road, there was some nice scenery and acting was not bad at all. It was just the whole pacing of scenes, so many good possiblities with the maruading cannibals but we never saw much of anything! Just as you get excited and start rooting for them to escape the cannibals the scene ends and they just trudge on. Alot of the scenes felt like they should/could have been longer but got cut short of themselves. I know it's not supposed to be an action flick per say, but still. And the ending just seemed very random to me.

Alice in Wonderland - 2/10

No dramatic tension. Not nearly crazy enough. Everything was very straightforward and boring. The CG left a lot to be desired.

I won't bother with spoiler tags as no one should go see this movie: the mad hatter and alice (to a lesser degree) do this sort of awkward breakdance type thing at the end that really put the nail in the coffin.

No Country For Old Men

liked it, good vibe, great scenes, a bit anticlimatic tho

also liked the minimal soundtrack approach

8/10

this movie should seriously be recognized as one of the best of all time.

dunno if anyone else here shares that sentiment though...its def on my top 10.

i do for sure, for the sound design alone the movie deserves a 10. I can't listen to normal gun shot sounds in movies now, its distracting, no country for old men set the bar way too high

No Country For Old Men

liked it, good vibe, great scenes, a bit anticlimatic tho

also liked the minimal soundtrack approach

8/10

this movie should seriously be recognized as one of the best of all time.

dunno if anyone else here shares that sentiment though...its def on my top 10.

Absolutely stunning film. Especially in the cinema, some of the wide lens shots were pure eye candy

omfg 'Duel' by Steven Spielberg 10/10 - just saw Jaws for the first time ( i know im a fucking idiot!) and i loved it and figured that early Spielberg is worth checking out. Boy was i surprised. I remember seeing parts of Duel when i was a kid and being pretty creeped out by it. It was an intriguing movie for me , but seeing it at 28 was a whole different experience. I was shocked at how well executed it was. It's one of the most suspenseful movies ive ever seen. Still haven't seen Sugarland express, goldie hawn as the main character is kind of a turn off for me but im definitely going to check it out. Close encounters of the 3rd kind is the only other movie he's made that reminds me of this minimalist,natural style fromt his era.

Guest futuregirlfriend

I downloaded that recently too. I wasn't expecting much as I'd read it was made for TV and was his first picture, but it was surprisingly good. Watching it you can tell he's a talented guy. You can't see it from the screen captures there but that is one intimidating truck :ohmy:

Guest pulsewarrior

zombieland - 4/10. the only good part of this movie may have been bill murray. short on zombies, long on weak humor, paper thin plot points and cliches (intentional or not). yeah yeah, i know it's supposed to be a silly fun little romp but really it was just shit. and what was with the trashing of the native american gift shop ? bad bad form.

Archived