IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Tank Girl - it's off to a rough start when it tries to establish this super cool mood, but once it blews up into over the top ridiculessness it's fucking great. some of the stuff is so bad it's good, like blatantly 90s pop culture references. in a movie that's suppose to take place in 2033!

i also saw The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, which i loved surprisingly, but weidly have zero thoughts about it aside from murray looking for the whole movie like his older brother.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished Night of the Living Dead... great movie, though the ending was a bit depressing.

The original or the remake? I love the 1990 remake by Tom Savini. Both endings are fucked up.

Just finished Night of the Living Dead... great movie, though the ending was a bit depressing.

The original or the remake? I love the 1990 remake by Tom Savini. Both endings are fucked up.

The original. The black guy was definitely the coolest/smartest character in the film. I remember reading or hearing something about the film being about the Civil Rights movement or something to that affect. I'm guessing the ending where they shoot and kill him without much consideration is a statement on the attitude rural white farmers had towards blacks.

i don't like romero's living dead series that much. the way he's always hitting you over the head with the message annoys me. and his points are always so simple that he could as well just put an ad in a newspaper with a short write up. would be cheaper.

i don't like romero's living dead series that much. the way he's always hitting you over the head with the message annoys me. and his points are always so simple that he could as well just put an ad in a newspaper with a short write up. would be cheaper.

I thought it was pretty subtle? Apparently the black actor didn't even realize until later that he was casted because he was black. Plus can you really be that critical when Romero basically created the genre?

so what, he's a holy cow? i'm not denying his importance, it's just that i'm 25yo male living in 2012 and all this seems a tad silly to me, no matter how revolutionary that was back in the day.

so what, he's a holy cow? i'm not denying his importance, it's just that i'm 25yo male living in 2012 and all this seems a tad silly to me, no matter how revolutionary that was back in the day.

I still don't get your point about the message not being subtle... to most people Night of the Living Dead is just about some people in a farmhouse trying to survive. And I understand the sentiment that so much time has passed, something revolutionary back then isn't nearly as special as it is today, but without it, there probably wouldn't be the newer iterations that you enjoy today.

there, i said it...

?

but without it, there probably wouldn't be the newer iterations that you enjoy today.

allow me to disagree... i believe it is fair to say that whoever invented the chair, if he hadn't, we wouldn't be all sitting on the floor would we???

there, i said it...

i was just putting myself in the role of kinski, because i get his point...

but without it, there probably wouldn't be the newer iterations that you enjoy today.

allow me to disagree... i believe it is fair to say that whoever invented the chair, if he hadn't, we wouldn't all be sitting on the floor would we???

there, i said it...

i was just putting myself in the role of kinski, because i get his point...

Its all subjective, but to compare the Zombie genre to a functional invention like the chair is a bit ridiculous. There's all sorts of nuances and ideas that have been overdone now, but back then it was pretty unique and terrifying.

Guest Mirezzi

The conflation of zombies and rednecks with rifles was half the point of Romero making NOLD in the first place. While it may not be nearly as relevant to a 2012 audience, the sad reality is that very little contemporary sci-fi / fantasy filmmaking is relevant, period, to any generation. Fortunately, there was Battlestar Galactica. Now, whether you found its politics agreeable or didactic is another matter entirely.

Its all subjective, but to compare the Zombie genre to a functional invention like the chair is a bit ridiculous. There's all sorts of nuances and ideas that have been overdone now, but back then it was pretty unique.

yes it is, after all, i'm talking to myself, i think it's a bit ridiculous to engage in a discussion about the importance and whatnot of a zombie flick...

Its all subjective, but to compare the Zombie genre to a functional invention like the chair is a bit ridiculous. There's all sorts of nuances and ideas that have been overdone now, but back then it was pretty unique.

yes it is, after all, i'm talking to myself, i think it's a bit ridiculous to engage in a discussion about the importance and whatnot of a zombie flick...

You confuse me lol. This is hardly a discussion about the importance of anything. I simply said I enjoyed the film and didn't think the message was hitting me over the head. Perhaps back then when there were very few black leading roles in films, it was more obvious.

Guest Mirezzi

Well, NOLD was a lot more important than you seem to realize. Step for even half a moment into fundamental media theory and you'll discuss NOLD.

If there's interest, I'll upload an excellent bit of structuralist scholarship from Richard Dyer about NOLD in particular. That film still carries considerable resonance within generic definitions of zombie movies and a critical view of whiteness and masculinity in mainstream films.

The conflation of zombies and rednecks with rifles was half the point of Romero making NOLD in the first place. While it may not be nearly as relevant to a 2012 audience, the sad reality is that very little contemporary sci-fi / fantasy filmmaking is relevant, period, to any generation. Fortunately, there was Battlestar Galactica. Now, whether you found its politics agreeable or didactic is another matter entirely.

What do you mean contemporary sci-fi isn't relevant? I've never seen Battlestar Galatica, so I can't comment on it. I can't figure out what you mean entirely though in regards to NOLD. Did you find it to be overt with its message?

I'd be interested in reading whatver you got on NOLD btw.

Guest Mirezzi

What do you mean contemporary sci-fi isn't relevant?

= Most of it is irrelevant beyond basal physical response. You cough up your $10, then you give up your sweat, tears, vomit, cum, whatever. Hence, a lot of debate among WATMMers about whether films should just be for enjoyment aka. "Leave my movies alone. I'm 'batin!"

NOLD contained both - the overt and the liminal. After all, Dyer's essay wasn't written until 30 years after its release.

Fortunately, there was Battlestar Galactica. Now, whether you found its politics agreeable or didactic is another matter entirely.

Oh no, if BSG is the future we're screwed :wink: . I found its politics and "spirituality" not didactic exactly, more completely facile, shallow, and determined by a vague amalgamation of contemporary hot-button issues like abortion, cloning, and Jeebus. I did like Edward James Olmos' pores, though.

Archived