IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

What I watched of 127 Hours was OK.. I think I have a soft spot for James Franco. But then again, I didn't finish it, so I suppose that speaks more to what I thought about it than any thing.

The only survival movies that were worth making were real life accounts like "Alone in the Wild" self made documentary, or....

RAMBO.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Treacle Jnr - 5.5/10

La Moustache - 7/10

Gummo - 8.5/10

Chronicle - 7/10

Fear Eats the Soul - 8/10

Dead Man's Shoes - 7.5/10

Guest HokusPoker

I couldn't watch Chronicle. these kids where too boring to wait for the mediocre FX stuff. I always asked myself the whole time: " why should I care?"

I thought the effects were amazing simply for the fact that they were so unimpressive. They seemed way too unspectacular to be fake, if you understand what I mean. The scene where they find out how to fly… that's how it always looked like in my dreams, clumsily floating.

That may not have been true with ALL the effects but with enough of them for me to enjoy that imagination.

Story is not what I watched it for (may have been the first film I simply watched for the effects).

Then again I haven't watched it a second time which of course is always advisable.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Ughhh... The CGI in Chronicle was horribly unconvincing at many points.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Predator - 7.6/10.

Predator 2 - 6.9/10. had all the right ingredients to be the best, but it lost my attention around the middle:(

Predators - 7/10

predator 3 was called predators? that's confusing. think I only saw the first

Guest RadarJammer

For example?

I watched it on a 10.1" netbook and it looked really nice. A small screen is definitely a big plus for some movies.

Guest HokusPoker

lol :popcorns:

Don't get too excited, I'm not gonna start a flamewar about a second or third class movie I don't care about.

I'm just wondering what he was seeing.

For example?

When they were moving things around in the air. Didn't look very good.

funny thing is I think some of the "didn't look very good" people are reacting to is wire removal, not 3d. For example, when the guys are first hovering around, and I believe when they move the first car, and when the leaf blower blows up the girl's skirt (though that last one could be cg, but felt like wire removal). Legos was probably 3d but could have been wire removal. Second car was definitely cgi. And of course flying in the clouds was cgi.

All told I think they did a pretty good job with the effects, for a limited budget. Some of the time it was completely convincing (mostly towards the end), sometimes it was almost convincing, and only rarely was it distractingly mediocre. Imo.

Just now finished watching God Bless America. I picked it up at Blockbuster, and was surprised to see most of them rented out. Then again, the people who rented it not knowing what to expect might be in for an unpleasant surprise. I enjoyed it, however.

Lost in Translation - Murray drinking whisky and smoking cigars/10

Not usually my sort of film but I quite enjoyed it. Could imagine that it's not far off him in reality, with the travelling and partying that he's doing at the moment.

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Brick - 7/10

Might have been higher had I not had to strain to understand all of the dialogue. I liked the idea of the modern high school detective noir though. The 'Pin was very funny.

You Can Count on Me - 9/10

Brasseye - 10/10

Oslo, August 31st - 8/10

I empathised with the central character to begin with, however by the end he was starting to annoy me and almost made me feel bitter for my earlier feelings. Could have been a 9... going to watch Reprise when I get chance. I've been told it's brilliant.

Guest RadarJammer

All the Lost in Translation talk in here got me to check it out. 6.5/10 I was fully charmed and interested but then I suddenly decided to shut it off about 2/3rds of the way through as that overly disposable indie slice of life feeling started to creep up and bore me to death.

Archived