IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Pusher - 6/10. good acting! i like how human the story is - this genre is usually so caricatured and anti-human. definitely watch this if you are a fan of "gritty street drugs" movies - i am not, but i think this is really nice work in that area. really impressive camera work - it looked to be about 60% long steadicam shots. the music was mixed too loud.

Protagonist - 6/10. interesting doc about four men who tried to take control over their lives in different ways - one with martial arts, one with christianity, one by robbing banks, and another by left-wing terrorism. it's modeled after a greek tragedy even though the stories are quite the opposite, and i'm still not sure how i feel about the division of the story into its themes or the puppets. definitely worth watching.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the dreamers

i sat down thinking this would be a hot movie with some incestuous threesome action but it ended up being self indulgent and somehow made watching eva green prance around naked tedious. most of the sexual stuff was creepy rather than sexy and seemed like a pervert's attempt to get out some product and pretend it's art (ooooh there's a revolution and it's all about film see they're talking about french movies who gives a shit). i'd rather watch an episode of bangbus.

1/10

Guest Deep Fried Everything

ronin - 6/10 - meh. certainly the car chase scenes were cool and all and would've been thrilling to participate in, but overall this just fell flat. there was no real intrigue to the plot and it wasn't at all clear that gregor (dude who lifted the case during the original heist) was screwing them over until it was literally explained. well directed and it kept my attention until the blonde chick and her other irish friend got the case back and at that point i was no longer intrigued enough to stay awake.

forgetting sarah marshall - 5/10 - full of awkward moments, mila kunis is hot, people really like judd apatow's flicks huh? because really, it was just full of awkward moments. yeah, chock full of them. a few funny moments with paul rudd and the rock star was funny in parts as well though.

ronin - 6/10 - meh. certainly the car chase scenes were cool and all ....

Those car chases are awfully good though. It's an older film and they still stand up...some of the best chases on film...

The Krays - never saw this before, didn't know it was the source of the sample "we had a dream last night - we had the same dream" used in that Biosphere track. Strange film, veering between spoof and drama seemingly without a clear sense of direction. Camera angles were also a bit self conscious; overall it seemed like the work of an inexperienced director. Some decent acting, and it was interesting to see an English gangster flick, if nothing else. Could have been a lot better though. 7/10.

i just saw Ichi the Killer

What'd you think of it?

The Men Who Stare at Goats 7/10 - This was a little better than I expected but my expectations were pretty low. The most entertaining parts of the film were learning about anything to do with the "Jedi Squad". Also, Ewan McGregor's American accent wavered quite a bit.

i remember being stunned by ichi when it first came out, but i just watched it recently and it wasnt as good as i remembered it being. all style no substance. a bit lame in parts and overall kind of meh. maybe im jaded

What'd you think of it?

The Men Who Stare at Goats 7/10 - This was a little better than I expected but my expectations were pretty low. The most entertaining parts of the film were learning about anything to do with the "Jedi Squad". Also, Ewan McGregor's American accent wavered quite a bit.

have you seen the original BBC(or maybe Tvone) specials that this is based on?

that's weird Ewan McGregor would have been played as an American character since the guy he's based on is british

What'd you think of it?

have you seen the original BBC(or maybe Tvone) specials that this is based on?

that's weird Ewan McGregor would have been played as an American character since the guy he's based on is british

No I haven't. I saw it was based on a book but didn't know there was a doc about it. I'll have to check that out.

Story of a Three Day Pass (1968) 7.5/10 - This is the first film Melvin Van Peebles directed. Some of the dialogue came off a little awkward and a lot of the smaller roles were given to really shitty actors. But the two leads were really well cast and it felt like they actually had some chemistry. Which is something I haven't seen a lot (even nowadays) especially when the couple is interracial.

was pretty hilarious to be honest, i always end up seeing miike as a comedic director.

probably a good way to approach him, but even through that perspective hes wildly uneven. i did enjoy his 'masters of horror' episode tho.

Guest Al Hounos

My Sassy Girl (엽기적인 그녀) - A Korean *gasp* romantic comedy. Aside from a few cringe-inducing cliches, it was a very funny, sweet and entertaining movie. 8/10

Casablanca - don't really need to add my commentary on this one. 10/10

My Sassy Girl (엽기적인 그녀) - A Korean *gasp* romantic comedy. Aside from a few cringe-inducing cliches, it was a very funny, sweet and entertaining movie. 8/10

I've heard this was worth viewing but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. It's another Korean comedy that had been scheduled for an American remake. Did you ever see 'My Wife is a Gangster'?

Guest Al Hounos

yeah, actually it was already remade a little while ago - some direct-to-dvd pile of shit.

no, havent seen that, but it's on my list.

Food Inc - 8/10 one of the only hard hitting political documentaries i've seen shot in beautiful HD. Showing farmers bulldozing dead chicken piles in 1080p was pretty effective. good movie overall, a lot of stuff was common knowledge but learned some interesting stuff from it.

Fall of the Republic - 7.5/10 Wow Alex Jones, your first movie without a shot of you talking every 2 minutes! a pretty decent film not following the typical conspiracy theory style of his previous work. I feel like you could show this film to practically anyone and they wouldn't have a hard time agreeing with it.

Fall of the Republic - 7.5/10 Wow Alex Jones, your first movie without a shot of you talking every 2 minutes! a pretty decent film not following the typical conspiracy theory style of his previous work. I feel like you could show this film to practically anyone and they wouldn't have a hard time agreeing with it.

I watched this yesterday and I can honestly say that I didn't get the first half of the movie. The second half on the other hand about global warming was great. Al Gore is such an easy person to hate.

Tokyo! - 8/10 - This is a compilation film comprised by the likes of Joon-ho Bong, Leos Carax, and Michel Gondry... structured similarly to Three...Extreme's though instead tailored to human behavior. Pretty interesting in that all three directors are not Japanese film makers.

Shaking Tokyo (Joon-ho Bong) - 9/10 - Great little film... beautifully crafted and edited.Probably my favorite of the three.

Merde (Leos Carax) - 6/10 - My least favorite of the three... some interesting idea's but overall it wasnt executed very well. It produced a few belly laughs but that is about it.

Interior Design (Michel Gondry) - 8/10 - This and Shaking Tokyo were very close... I enjoyed the overall message of this film better and it's use of long shots and beautiful cinematography but it was way too long for what it was.

I then decided to revisit some of my favorite Woody Allen films... not sure what watmm's opinions are on Mr Allen but I dig him:

Annie Hall - 10/10 - Classic film... one of the best romantic comedies of all time.

Manhattan - 10/10 - Another classic... I prefer this one to Annie Hall... the black and white produced a raw ambiance that suited everything so nicely, so perfectly. The dialogue is amazing and the closing sequence so beautiful.

I watched this yesterday and I can honestly say that I didn't get the first half of the movie. The second half on the other hand about global warming was great. Al Gore is such an easy person to hate.

how did you hear about the movie ? it would probably help to be an American to understand the first half better, especially the dynamic between the republican and democrats and about how overall they work towards the same draconian goals but manage to trick the public into thinking one party is significantly more aligned with their interests than the other. but maybe if you had specific questions i can try to help answer them

Guest Coalbucket PI

Dead Snow; entertaining enough, scariest part was the pretty girl licking the fat guys finger after he'd just wiped his arse, what was that about?

Archived