IGNORED

...why i'm glad i'm an old aphex-twin-jockriding curmudgeon

sinicalypse

so on sunday night i got to see one of the last "techno gods" i've yet to see in my day, thee venerable richie hawtin, aka plastikman. for those of you who don't know, i was ingratiated into the world of electronic music by aphex twin in late 1994 (i heard cuckoo off of ab4, prior to then my favorite stuff was by the KLF, go figure) and i never ever looked back, especially as the chicago "rave scene" grew to random-kids-at-highschool-wearing-giant-pants-and-spooging-over-paul-johnson between late 96 and 1998-99 / it's very very timely death, and i remember sitting in the corner @ raves bored tripping rolling you name it, the music didn't do shit for me... at one fo them there was this off little back room where a guy was spinning burningn'n tree tracks on their original spymania presses evidently (this was circa 1998-99, afterall, didnt burning'n' tree get re-released on warp in 01 i wanna say? maybe it was 98 or 99 tho) and i was like omfg and it was fun tryin'ta watch people dance whilst those of us with superior tastes in music just kind of stood there nodding our heads getting the fill of intelligent/going-places music that we knew we wouldn't hear elsewhere in the building.

so yeah there i was at the smartbar in chicago in a rather packed room and i heard... techno. so primitive and boring, i had almost forgot just how much i despised it as i started getting mental images of socks in a dryer, masturbating unicorns (the best dance move ever cuz you end up banging yourself in the head to the beat) rectally-impaled string beans, and of course the random club kids half-shirtless in sunglasses with a fedora tryin'ta look too cool for school. i laughed when people would applaud a new track "dropping" cuz for the last 4-5 minutes they heard THE SAME FUCKING SOUND BEING CUTOFFED RESONATED DSP'D WHATEVERED it's the same same same same same same same same sound... i gained more appreciation for drum and bass, a genre of music that so-non-coincidentally just so happens to rhyme with "run in place" but like, at least if you're trying to dance drum and bass takes chances, and a good dj cuts out a good deal of the mandatory 1:30buildup to the drop, the ostentatious breakdown to near-ambience, and then teh pointless super-reiteration of the semi-modified hooks near the end, the result is that you actually get something tangible and interesting and dynamic and fast and badass, whereas techno is like fixating on one repetitive broken sound over and over and over and over and it's slow and it's so fucking retarded, i mean, it reminds me why i fell in love with aphex twin's permutations of the techno formats: HE TOOK THE MUSIC PLACES. as did/does squarepusher. the tracks have emotion to them, not monotonous robots marching/dancing to monotonous crap, it's like, there's actual song structure and typically an ace aphex/sp/disciples cut will reward your investment with creshendos and dots of variance so brilliant detractors can only hope to call it random seeing as they're technically right but then a philosophical argument ensues over the essence of what is truly random.

you get none of that with techno. you get doot doot doot doot doot doot dit doot doot doot dit doot doot doot dit dit dit dit (crowd applauds maniacially, people step up their dance moves)

thank god the girl i was with was actually cool so when we both got horrendously bored with hawtin's set after an hour and a half on the dancefloor, we both wished aloud we were at least at a jungle night and went to my long-favorite pastime of raves/techno-nights/whatever: making fun of white people dancing. all of the red stripe in the world couldn't help them.

so yeah, after i dropped her off (it was 4am and she had to work at 9. that's keeping it real, esp when i found out she has a disdain for techno like i do yet *had* to see richie hawtin once. i can respect that) i happened to have the helston flora remix of baby ford's normal handy and all of a sudden my ears and brain were concurrently assaulted by dynamic evolving variant patterns that built up to a climix not too unlike good sex, but in convenient "bugging the shit out of drunken hipsters on ashland ave at 4am" format.

god bless aphex twin and all he's done to gentrify my musical tastes and habits since late 1994. can i get an amen?!@

I'm installing a mod for the board that distills your post down to it's essential parts for those who can't stomach your long-winded posts. Here's a test of the output:

I went to see Ritchie Hawtin. He's not as good as Aphex, but you all know that already. A girl and I got bored and left, and went to a rave to watch white people dance as bad as we do. I didn't get to have sex with her.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I'm installing a mod for the board that distills your post down to it's essential parts for those who can't stomach your long-winded posts. Here's a test of the output:

I went to see Ritchie Hawtin. He's not as good as Aphex, but you all know that already. A girl and I got bored and left, and went to a rave to watch white people dance as bad as we do. I didn't get to have sex with her.

does this mean I'll be able to take sini off my ignore list?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

lol pwn.

except self-pwn i read jims entire ramble first bah

the chicago "rave scene" grew to random-kids-at-highschool-wearing-giant-pants-and-spooging-over- paul-johnson between late 96 and 1998-99 / it's very very timely death, and i remember sitting in the corner @ raves bored tripping rolling you name it, the music didn't do shit for me.

bored while tripping or rolling? :confused:

srsly i could be entertained by staring at a board of wood on acid. U should have just left the rave and gone outside, plenty of entertaining things out there. Have a rave in your head! I always hear music in my head on both of these drugs, certainly don't need a rave. But i would think that would improve the situation yah? No?

:blink:

Guest 277: 930-933

Richie got boring, he used to be great.

But then again, I really really like tecno.

But it's hard to do right, especially with the giant heeps of boring shit so called 'minimal' coming out these days.

Every fucking release sounds the same, every single last one of them, and I'm not even referring just to composition here, it actually sounds like these guys are all sharing the same laptop with the same soundcard using the same eq/compression/effect presets on the same VSTs running in the same environment.

'Hey let's do some K and spend 4 hours playing with Live and find some other scarf wearing K head to release it!'

BTW this is coming from someone who enjoys listening to dronezone, adores just about every plastikman release, I love ´boring´ music.

Guest narkeworld

so on sunday night i got to see one of the last "techno gods" i've yet to see in my day, thee venerable richie hawtin, aka plastikman. for those of you who don't know, i was ingratiated into the world of electronic music by aphex twin in late 1994 (i heard cuckoo off of ab4, prior to then my favorite stuff was by the KLF, go figure) and i never ever looked back, especially as the chicago "rave scene" grew to random-kids-at-highschool-wearing-giant-pants-and-spooging-over-paul-johnson between late 96 and 1998-99 / it's very very timely death, and i remember sitting in the corner @ raves bored tripping rolling you name it, the music didn't do shit for me... at one fo them there was this off little back room where a guy was spinning burningn'n tree tracks on their original spymania presses evidently (this was circa 1998-99, afterall, didnt burning'n' tree get re-released on warp in 01 i wanna say? maybe it was 98 or 99 tho) and i was like omfg and it was fun tryin'ta watch people dance whilst those of us with superior tastes in music just kind of stood there nodding our heads getting the fill of intelligent/going-places music that we knew we wouldn't hear elsewhere in the building.

so yeah there i was at the smartbar in chicago in a rather packed room and i heard... techno. so primitive and boring, i had almost forgot just how much i despised it as i started getting mental images of socks in a dryer, masturbating unicorns (the best dance move ever cuz you end up banging yourself in the head to the beat) rectally-impaled string beans, and of course the random club kids half-shirtless in sunglasses with a fedora tryin'ta look too cool for school. i laughed when people would applaud a new track "dropping" cuz for the last 4-5 minutes they heard THE SAME FUCKING SOUND BEING CUTOFFED RESONATED DSP'D WHATEVERED it's the same same same same same same same same sound... i gained more appreciation for drum and bass, a genre of music that so-non-coincidentally just so happens to rhyme with "run in place" but like, at least if you're trying to dance drum and bass takes chances, and a good dj cuts out a good deal of the mandatory 1:30buildup to the drop, the ostentatious breakdown to near-ambience, and then teh pointless super-reiteration of the semi-modified hooks near the end, the result is that you actually get something tangible and interesting and dynamic and fast and badass, whereas techno is like fixating on one repetitive broken sound over and over and over and over and it's slow and it's so fucking retarded, i mean, it reminds me why i fell in love with aphex twin's permutations of the techno formats: HE TOOK THE MUSIC PLACES. as did/does squarepusher. the tracks have emotion to them, not monotonous robots marching/dancing to monotonous crap, it's like, there's actual song structure and typically an ace aphex/sp/disciples cut will reward your investment with creshendos and dots of variance so brilliant detractors can only hope to call it random seeing as they're technically right but then a philosophical argument ensues over the essence of what is truly random.

you get none of that with techno. you get doot doot doot doot doot doot dit doot doot doot dit doot doot doot dit dit dit dit (crowd applauds maniacially, people step up their dance moves)

thank god the girl i was with was actually cool so when we both got horrendously bored with hawtin's set after an hour and a half on the dancefloor, we both wished aloud we were at least at a jungle night and went to my long-favorite pastime of raves/techno-nights/whatever: making fun of white people dancing. all of the red stripe in the world couldn't help them.

so yeah, after i dropped her off (it was 4am and she had to work at 9. that's keeping it real, esp when i found out she has a disdain for techno like i do yet *had* to see richie hawtin once. i can respect that) i happened to have the helston flora remix of baby ford's normal handy and all of a sudden my ears and brain were concurrently assaulted by dynamic evolving variant patterns that built up to a climix not too unlike good sex, but in convenient "bugging the shit out of drunken hipsters on ashland ave at 4am" format.

god bless aphex twin and all he's done to gentrify my musical tastes and habits since late 1994. can i get an amen?!@

No.

Guest tv_party

You do not, as the technology. Utusan you utusan doot doot doot doot doot your doot doot doot your doot doot audit audit audit audit (the audience cheered maniacially, people step up dance movements)

Thank God, my girls and the actual cooling, therefore, when we are tired of painful hawtin settings, one and a half hours of dancing, we all hope that we speak, at least in the jungle at night to my favorite pastime of the long-term appreciation / technology night / No matter: make fun of white people dancing. All of the red stripes in the world can not help them.

So yes, I dropped by her (which is 4:00 minutes, on the 9th of her work. This is it true, especially when I discovered she had a contempt for technology is not yet done so, like me * * see Richie hawtin time. I can respect) I happen to have a mix of baby Helston Ford plant to facilitate the normal and suddenly my ears and the brain at the same time variation of the dynamic evolution of the attack mode, the establishment of a gender different climix not very good, but convenience, "the dog feces-tapping hipsters drink much of sub-Lan Road 4:00 in" form.

God bless all aphex double and his efforts, gentrify my music tastes and habits since late 1994. Ah I can get a? !

do you want me to stop posting?!@ just say the word...

I enjoy reading your posts, Sini. Even when mean spirited or pointless they are still more entertaining than most of the post around here. And I find most posts entertaining.

Guest theSun

after thoughtful consideration, capt. kirk is correct.

though i would like joyrex's mod for when i'm on the go.

as much as I love you Sini, this is 100% possibly post of the year material!

this is not very nice joyrex. oh my god it's sini, ya know, the guy who posts stuff that a lot of people reply to with TL;DR etc. Fuck.

Sini, being around for the Chicago rave scene, all I can say is I HEAR YA, although the demise time is about the same, I did go to a decent party in Harvey IL in early '00.

As far as the whole Ritchie H deal, I'm sure I would have reacted in similar fashion if not totally off my head on psychedelics and weed, but I find minimal techno boring as shit. I think i saw hawtin in either detroit or indy back in 98-99, and it was ace, but I was fuckED UP, and dancing HARD (horribly I'm sure).

tl:dr

as much as I love you Sini, this is 100% possibly post of the year material!

no

sneaksta have you heard Ricardo Villalobos? i have no doubt that you have, but I'm posting this anyway because it's fantastic:

actually no, I haven't. The piece you posted was not bad at all though for a while at least. Would be great in a mix but I don't see myself listening to a whole album of slow moving 7 min tracks. I'm way to ADD/desensitized for that now. Thanks for the heads up though *fires up internet theft device*

EDIT: oh shit, wasn't expecting the acidy-ness around 4:30...

EDIT 2: Isohunt, and in less than 20 sec found the album. I seriously don't know what would happen if the internet were to suddenly collapse (for some reason I could never understand) and suddenly millions of people were deprived of their instant gratification device.

i've heard it said that this is a useful track for djs

if you can find it, the whole thing is 30 minutes long

picture a breakfast food.

picture a breakfast food with the name Belgium in it.

and something im working on - a remix of ed chamberlain. who has actually been cited by mr james as someone he likes to listen to. its early stages and ive been busy but it'll come.

i <3 techfluff.

sini, your posts, though extremely long, never actually say anything. i usually read through the whole lot and am always left thinking "so what's his point?". plus you repeat the same shit about being into aphex since '94 etc in nearly everything you write on here - ok we know already! someone get this man a full time editor.

Archived