IGNORED

favourite sounds

oscillik

the synth brass at the end of David Bowie's Ashes To Ashes (during "my momma says..").

the time-stretched and pitched sample of a woodblock used for the melody at the end of Nine Inch Nails' Terrible Lie (just after the "my head is filled with disease, my skin is begging you please" tirade). this one really blows my head, i still think it's fucking genius and so simple at the same time.

the arpeggiated synth bass that comes in at the beginning of Nine Inch Nails' Somewhat Damaged during the intro, just before the first verse.

the bouncy synth bass during the chorus of Skinny Puppy's Worlock, even though this track was made in 1988/1989 it still sounds so fucking fresh to me.

the reverse-drum loop in Boards of Canada's Rue The Whirl - you know which bit i'm talking about

"i love you" and the immediate boom directly after it from Boards of Canada's An Eagle In Your Mind - in fact this whole track is just an eargasm for me.

the sample of the cat purring at around 0:29-0:30 of Bibio's Dwrcan, i just think it's a very cleverly placed sample and totally fits his sound.

when the drums kick in on Autechre's SURRIPERE - no more words needed on this one.

the strings on Autechre's Arch Carrier

the arpeggiated bass in Age Of Love's self titled track, another track that is just full of awesome.

i'm gonna add more to this thread when i think of them.

please do contribute

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest margaret thatcher

the intro guitar feedback on dead leaves and the dirty ground by the white stripes

lou reed's slight laugh on heroin by the velvet underground

all of damo suzuki on halleluwah by can

king crimson - 21st century schizoid man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6y6qPLh8s

1:52 - 4:36: fucking incredible midsection. those free jazz horns and fripps atonal, incredibly ahead of its time solo...

and then

4:36 - 5:19 the most incredible mastery of time signatures this side of acceptable prog

shit. pretty much this track, all of it.

the bouncy synth bass during the chorus of Skinny Puppy's Worlock, even though this track was made in 1988/1989 it still sounds so fucking fresh to me.

Oh god...this song makes my brain melt. Scratch that, my entire body. Probably because I did a lot of acid back in the day and always listened to Skinny Puppy. :emotawesomepm9: Warlock was one of the best for such occasions.

1:52 - 4:36: fucking incredible midsection. those free jazz horns and fripps atonal, incredibly ahead of its time solo...

and then

4:36 - 5:19 the most incredible mastery of time signatures this side of acceptable prog

i really liked that. i'm gonna have to look up more stuff, thanks.

and then

i really liked that. i'm gonna have to look up more stuff, thanks.

they're a very interesting band because they've had four or five incarnations, with fripp as pretty much the only constant

my other favourite crimsoid moments are in red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58v0mRUWJo

the atonal bits in the riff and the fucking cello (which is actually processed chapman stick). oh my

Guest margaret thatcher

yeah, i remember when i first raided my dad's record collection, and found that lp. wow. it's all solid. possibly the greatest first lp of any band ever.

i dunno, 'i talk to the wind' is kinda gay. and crimson only made the odd track here and there that interested me after that up until 'larks tongues in aspic'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1rubzF48OQ

this track is basically "NO! TOOL FANS! THEY'RE NOT THE MOST ORIGINAL BAND EVER!" writ large

but red, i think red is a flawless album.

that brutal digital backspin effect that richie seemed to be very fond of around this time...

totally agreed, this is up there with some of my favourite stuff RDJ has done.

some of these are more "moments" than sounds I suppose

that's cool, that's what i mean also...should really edit the thread title if i can figure out how

edit: nope, i don't know how to edit the title.

any time Eric Dolphy makes his instrument sound like it's talking. also the epic parts on "feathers" where the song climaxes

the head from 'straight up and down'! it's fucking ridiculous!

instant LOL WHAT KEY IS THIS IN

the synth (or guitar through EMS-1, i still dunno) tone on here come the warm jets

....and then ohhhh shit! when the drums come in they're stupid

they go in and out of tempo with the rest of the track and it is so very fucking awesome.

and then some mumbled lyrics and everything is basically like 10000% the sum of its parts

Guest Rabid

contour regard.

A few more from come to daddy. Little lord faulteroy ("oooooo yooooou"), bucephalus...

Windowlicker. All of it, especially the end.

Here's some from my youtube favorites

0:50 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCSevzJQ2-Y and the end

1:03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HoF3rgmfEE

Glitchy drums here

This intro gets me nostalgic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFlomKbPuGE

off the top of my head, the very end of chaos a.d. "psultan (part 1)" with the sh-101 while the song's fading out. wish the song would keep going every time it ends. it's also notorious for staying in my head for days upon days

and somebody mentioned something eno earlier, which brings to mind basically all of the small nestled sounds in"dunwich beach, autumn 1960" on ambient 4

my favorite sounds are the ones that morph into other sounds or seem like they are morphing into other sounds and you have no idea how they did it

when all the instruments seem to mesh into some wonderful meta-instrument. i love it.

i.e. latter half of this

my favorite sounds are the ones that morph into other sounds or seem like they are morphing into other sounds and you have no idea how they did it

Yeah...when things melt together and make you go woah. That's the shit.

Guest JohnTqs

the melody at the very beginning of Wouldn't It Be Nice? by The Beach Boys

when the bass comes in on God Only Knows by The Beach Boys

the funk guitars and dirty ass beat in Jealous Of Roses by Bibio

Lauryn Hill's voice

1:09 in Board Of Canada's '84 Pontiac Dream

"take my hand..."

frog pocket's fiddle

the intro guitar in Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On

D'ANGELO'S VOICE

the beat in 99 Problems by Jay-Z

that backwards piano in All Caps by Madvillain

the shaker in Mowgli by Nino Nardini. the entire album is gold

1:40 into Goodbye Rute by The Tuss. heart fucking melting

Madlib - Two Timer (The Pimp) when the bass kicks in about :30 seconds into the song

Luke Vibert - ComfyCozy the piano sample repeated throughout the song

Public Enemy - Shut Em Down (Pete Rock Mixx) the horn sample, I could listen to this beat all day

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. when Albarn starts singing the "windmill windmill for the land..." part

Prince - Dirty Mind about 1:29 seconds into the song, the way Prince says "look here"

Free the Robots - Lonely Traveler the melody in this song, I think it's played on an electric piano

The Roots - Can't Stop This whole track moves me but at about 6:24 seconds the orchestra comes in then it goes into a crazy Dilla-ish beat

The Roots - Act Too (The Love of My Life) the whole song is bananas but really takes off about 3:13 seconds in when the orchestra kicks in

The Roots - Without A Doubt the instrumental breakdown that starts at 3:09 seconds and goes until the end of the song, could listen to it all day

Erykah Badu - Twinkle about 4:09 seconds in the song changes and turns into this weird ambient-ish track, Erykah should do a whole album like this

Radiohead - Just the melodic guitar bit the comes in a little over 2 minutes into the song

Squarepusher - A Journey to Reedham (7am Mix) the melodic acid you first hear about 1:34 seconds into the song

Aphex Twin - Actium the bass is this song is so good, can't not shake my ass to this

piano sample in shook ones pt 2 by mobb deep

oud sample in antistar by massive attack

cowbell in special cases by massive attack

the spacious piano/rhodes thing in eurochild by massive attack

wobble in gecko by datsik

wobble in examination of time by babylon system & noah d

organ in interstellar overdrive by pink floyd

organ/mellotron thing in lucy in the sky with diamonds by the beatles

weird rolling bass sample in nature of the threat by ras kass

bongzilla's guitar sound

Kyuss's detuned bass

trumpets in kalasjnikov by goran bregovic