IGNORED

i'm sick of electronic music

brian trageskin

actually i'm sick of most musics at the moment. it's like nothing can impress me anymore and i don't even want to be impressed, i don't feel the need to. the last autechre turns out to be shit in the end IMHO, cylob is dead, afx does nothing, electro and techno artists stick to what they know which is getting awfully boring, and so on... the only music i can listen to at the moment is my own, along with burzum and emperor. a little darkthrone too.

one thing that bores me to death is that most music nowadays is made for masses, or some kind of so-called underground elites. some people try to be original and they fail (imo), for the reason that they try to be original.

i don't want to listen to hip-hop, i don't want to listen to jazz, or shitty metal, or faggy pop-rock, or this or that and i'm sick and tired of electronic music. i'm having an overdose. i could listen to classical music though, and i definitely want to listen to more old black metal (recommendations are welcome btw) or death metal. the general consensus is fucking boring and this world is depressing me more and more each day (yeah that's my state of mind at the moment). what more can i say

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest placidburp

untitled.mp3

edit: haha! only joking brian. I know how you feel, I have felt like this quite often, then I suddenly hear something I haven't heard for a while and proper get into it.

But yeah, for suggestions - Satie? I dunno.

Dr. Pete prescribes a combination of modern classical, ambient drone, 70s Italio disco, and 12k & Raster Noton glitch. 2 weeks, one CD before an evening meal, and this before sleep and plenty of fresh air. You'll be right as rain come April.

when i'm feeling shitty or depressed the first thing that goes is my desire to listen to abstraction. most electronic music is too restrained and puritan for those moments.. meaning it's a good time to break out some classic punk, industrial or black metal. a friend introduced me to the southern lord label last year and i'm hooked on leviathan at the moment, so that's my black metal recommendation for today. (if you haven't heard him and are curious the blind wound ep is a short to the point intro to his style..)

Really recognizable.

When I have that mood that I can only listen to raw primitive black metal and no electronics etc., I usually play things like the Satanic Blood Angel compilation by Von (crappy lo-fi old 'black metal'), and repeat it till it makes me crave for music that has more than 2 sorts of riffs per song.

Same with the band Hellhammer, Aura Noir, the Under A Funeral Moon/Transilvanian Hunger albums, some black/thrash metal compilations compiled by Fenriz, or anything by the band 'Lugubrum'. It's just balancing it out or something, and I see myself constantly changing between electronic music and 'raw black metal' lately. Also things like Khanate, Burning Witch, basically Southern Lord stuff, have been doing a good job for this as well. Also Throbbing Gristle (Second Annual Report), just ugly music.

actually i'm sick of most musics at the moment. it's like nothing can impress me anymore and i don't even want to be impressed, i don't feel the need to. the last autechre turns out to be shit in the end IMHO, cylob is dead, afx does nothing, electro and techno artists stick to what they know which is getting awfully boring, and so on... the only music i can listen to at the moment is my own, along with burzum and emperor. a little darkthrone too.

one thing that bores me to death is that most music nowadays is made for masses, or some kind of so-called underground elites. some people try to be original and they fail (imo), for the reason that they try to be original.

i don't want to listen to hip-hop, i don't want to listen to jazz, or shitty metal, or faggy pop-rock, or this or that and i'm sick and tired of electronic music. i'm having an overdose. i could listen to classical music though, and i definitely want to listen to more old black metal (recommendations are welcome btw) or death metal. the general consensus is fucking boring and this world is depressing me more and more each day (yeah that's my state of mind at the moment). what more can i say

listen to contemporary music (music that develops the western harmonics further)

all music you mention is based on pop roots and western harmonics

get rid of that and after a while you will be very happy to listen to "normal electronic music" again

you expect electronic music to develop further but you still listen to the same formula

Dr. Pete prescribes a combination of modern classical, ambient drone, 70s Italio disco, and 12k & Raster Noton glitch. 2 weeks, one CD before an evening meal, and this before sleep and plenty of fresh air. You'll be right as rain come April.

hell no, i cant take of that italo shit anymore

listen to contemporary music (music that develops the western harmonics further)

get rid of that and after a while you will be very happy to listen to "normal electronic music" again

you expect electronic music to develop further but you still listen to the same formula

fuck contemporary music. i don't need something complex and gay at the moment

i'd rather listen to indian raggas or bulgarian folk music

Guest futuregirlfriend

Rest your ears for a bit then dip into something you've never investigated before. There's probably a lot of electronic music you don't know about.

Some not electronic music: Pascal Comelade, Pierre Bastien, Frank Pahl, Maher Shalal Hash Baz, Laurence Vanay.

fuck contemporary music. i don't need something complex and gay at the moment

i'd rather listen to indian raggas or bulgarian folk music

ah ok didn't see this :emotawesomepm9:

ask fred about it

he did some similar topic half a year ago and got over it

I had the same problem when I was really into producing music + additional stress

I did only like very very limited amount of it and mostly stuff nobody else could follow anymore but it relaxed again after I stopped producing day and night

Guest iamabe

I've wanted to make a post just like this for a few weeks but was worried no one on watmm would give a crap. The only thing I'm into is the music I make, which leads me to believe that being obsessed about my own shit makes me picky and uninterested in other things. And it isn't just a matter of boredom, but also that most music actually really frustrates/annoys me. I don't like listening to most electronic/pop/rock music and hearing repetetive, restrained drumming. I just want it to break out and do something funky, and usually when I listen I'm spending all my energy imagining my own patterns in my head over the ones in the song. It's like I can't enjoy the song itself because I want it to keep doing something else.

I'm also a little bored of the recent Ae album too. The opener is killer but the rest of the album hasn't pulled me in yet.

I've been trying to just put down all of my music for a while and open my ears to shit I haven't listened to in ages, but going through my library, listening to Opeth and shit just hasn't gotten me interested. Sometimes it depresses me that music I used to love just makes me bored now. So I think maybe it's time for me to move on to "mature" shit like Coltrane and Bach but I still have no ear for most of it and I'm too hooked on electronic production to be arsed to listen to all-acoustic stuff lately.

My advice is to wash your palette with videogame binges and other media and ignore music for a while, but that hasn't worked for me yet either.

Archived