IGNORED

i'm sick of electronic music

brian trageskin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually i'm sick of most musics at the moment. it's like nothing can impress me anymore and i don't even want to be impressed, i don't feel the need to. the last autechre turns out to be shit in the end IMHO, cylob is dead, afx does nothing, electro and techno artists stick to what they know which is getting awfully boring, and so on... the only music i can listen to at the moment is my own, along with burzum and emperor. a little darkthrone too.

one thing that bores me to death is that most music nowadays is made for masses, or some kind of so-called underground elites. some people try to be original and they fail (imo), for the reason that they try to be original.

i don't want to listen to hip-hop, i don't want to listen to jazz, or shitty metal, or faggy pop-rock, or this or that and i'm sick and tired of electronic music. i'm having an overdose. i could listen to classical music though, and i definitely want to listen to more old black metal (recommendations are welcome btw) or death metal. the general consensus is fucking boring and this world is depressing me more and more each day (yeah that's my state of mind at the moment). what more can i say

I've wanted to make a post just like this for a few weeks but was worried no one on watmm would give a crap. The only thing I'm into is the music I make, which leads me to believe that being obsessed about my own shit makes me picky and uninterested in other things. And it isn't just a matter of boredom, but also that most music actually really frustrates/annoys me. I don't like listening to most electronic/pop/rock music and hearing repetetive, restrained drumming. I just want it to break out and do something funky, and usually when I listen I'm spending all my energy imagining my own patterns in my head over the ones in the song. It's like I can't enjoy the song itself because I want it to keep doing something else.

I'm also a little bored of the recent Ae album too. The opener is killer but the rest of the album hasn't pulled me in yet.

I've been trying to just put down all of my music for a while and open my ears to shit I haven't listened to in ages, but going through my library, listening to Opeth and shit just hasn't gotten me interested. Sometimes it depresses me that music I used to love just makes me bored now. So I think maybe it's time for me to move on to "mature" shit like Coltrane and Bach but I still have no ear for most of it and I'm too hooked on electronic production to be arsed to listen to all-acoustic stuff lately.

My advice is to wash your palette with videogame binges and other media and ignore music for a while, but that hasn't worked for me yet either.

jacques loussier was kind of an opener to bach for me as its the perfect transition from breakbeat music to classical stuff

hell no, i cant take of that italo shit anymore

fuck contemporary music. i don't need something complex and gay at the moment

Dr. Pete say: It's interesting that your only two responses to your thread have been these ... focussing on the negatives of what you don't want instead of the positive suggestions of what you would like to try. It may be that music of any kind is not the problem here, more on where your head-space is at the moment (as you mentioned in your first post). Try a more active role like mixing or creating tracks (or whatever) rather than passively dismissing the music you're listening to. (and lay off the narcotics for a while if that's your particular medicine ...)

Guest eichel

know that too. if you dont want to stop listening to music at all, listen to non-complex music with "heart" you can sing along with, like becks "sea change" or bonnie prince billy, asian/arabian stuff (you already mentioned that), or pre-80ies stuff. helped for me, especially singing :emotawesomepm9:

hell no, i cant take of that italo shit anymore

fuck contemporary music. i don't need something complex and gay at the moment

Dr. Pete say: It's interesting that your only two responses to your thread have been these ... focussing on the negatives of what you don't want instead of the positive suggestions of what you would like to try. It may be that music of any kind is not the problem here, more on where your head-space is at the moment (as you mentioned in your first post). Try a more active role like mixing or creating tracks (or whatever) rather than passively dismissing the music you're listening to. (and lay off the narcotics for a while if that's your particular medicine ...)

good point. i take no drugs btw, and i'm reducing my tobacco use (this might play a role). i haven't been able to create lately, only mixing and editing my stuff. i'm going through some kind of crisis it seems, but i think i need this. we all need a state of crisis at moments in our lives anyway, that's part of the fun

we all need a state of crisis at moments in our lives anyway, that's part of the fun

We sure do, I had a mini one last month (women eh, what can you do ?!) but you always feel a hell of a better person when you come out the other side ... In the philosophical words of the Ridge Racer man - "It's the last stretch, keep going", erm yeah.

I get sick of music all the time, really. I'm really obsessed with it day in and day out. I spend as much time at work researching and talking about music as I do actual work. And when I get home, work is removed from the equation! I really feel it would do me good to take a break from music and focus on life for a bit. I mean I do go out once or twice a week, it's not like I sit at home 24/7, but I don't pay attention to growing as a person or any long-term life/career/personal goals. I just care about music. And that kind of sucks.

Anyway if I get sick of a particular type of music, I play something else. It's pretty simple really. I've gone through many musical phases in my life, as I assume we all do, and for the past 5-8 years it's more like I have the appreciation for all the stuff I've ever listened to...without being in a specific phase. So I can switch between genres quite easily, even if electronic dominates a bit right now. But it's true that sometimes I pull out an old classic, no matter the genre, and I'm bored with it right away. You just need a break, stop playing music so much, go out and do something I guess. Bump it down in your list of priorities. That's what I need to do.

I'm sick of "IDM" but electronic music is still very swell to me. As is non electronic music, although 79% of my listening is electronic music.

Music.

When I say IDM, I don't mean anyone good. I mean like flahbulb n shit.

Ever heard this

little ditty? Lyrics sound pretty pissed off (a bit like you). This track blew my mind the first time I heard it and stil does to this day. Not a keyboard in sight.

Don't watch the video it's shit. Just use those ears.

I mean like flahbulb n shit.

I tend to associate IDM with simplistic beats and modal noodling myself. A good deal of the pioneering artists in 'idm' hate the term and a good deal of 'idm' artists are people who couldn't get past the heavier experimentation that started in the mid 90's and recreate their favorite works from that era. and hence a 'genre' gets established

Funny, I think i heard the flashbulb a couple weeks ago at a friend's house. whatever i heard, it sounded like a mid 90's aphex twin cover band to the point i could specify which tracks. It was entertaining anyway :lol:

Archived