IGNORED

Dear America

kakapo

Guest Sprigg

I was thinking about this particular phrase the other day, actually, and how silly it sounded when we say 'I could care less,' meaning 'I don't give a shit.'

"How do you think the Queen feels about the wanton abuse of her English?"

who?

-from an american

Under common law, the English language, and in particular the written word, is the property of the monarch, and is 'leased' to her subjects. Hence the phrase 'The Queen's English'. To this day, the 'civil list', money raised through taxation by the UK state to support the royal household, is directly linked to the amount of books, newspapers etc. that are published in the UK each year. For every 10p's worth of photocopying done each year, 1p goes directly to the queen. However, this was the last technical innovation that the law has accounted for. The Conservative's plan to extend revenue raising to the internet and other multimedia sources was dropped after opposition from their coalition partners the LibDems.

As an aside, it is estimated that former colonies such as the States and Canada (although not Australia who are exempt by Royal decree) currently owe over 4.5 trillion dollars to the British crown. Churchill had originally wanted this taken into consideration for 'lend lease' during the Second World War, but unfortunately Roosevelt held all the cards at the time.

"How do you think the Queen feels about the wanton abuse of her English?"

who?

-from an american

Under common law, the English language, and in particular the written word, is the property of the monarch, and is 'leased' to her subjects. Hence the phrase 'The Queen's English'. To this day, the 'civil list', money raised through taxation by the UK state to support the royal household, is directly linked to the amount of books, newspapers etc. that are published in the UK each year. For every 10p's worth of photocopying done each year, 1p goes directly to the queen. However, this was the last technical innovation that the law has accounted for. The Conservative's plan to extend revenue raising to the internet and other multimedia sources was dropped after opposition from their coalition partners the LibDems.

As an aside, it is estimated that former colonies such as the States and Canada (although not Australia who are exempt by Royal decree) currently owe over 4.5 trillion dollars to the British crown. Churchill had originally wanted this taken into consideration for 'lend lease' during the Second World War, but unfortunately Roosevelt held all the cards at the time.

innit

ps: lol @ monarchies

Guest taxman

that phrase has bothered me since i was a little kid. i don't say either version though, as far as i can remember. i usually say something like "i don't care".

4.5 trillion dollars owed for use of the english language eh? sounds reasonable. then again the queen of england has no jurisdiction here so i am forced to keep my money to invest in british petroleum and their science project of combining black stuff with blue stuff in the gulf of mexico :facepalm:

Archived