I saw the original film, I'm not going to ruin that. Why does Hollywood feel so compelled to do remakes? Is it purly for the American audience needing a watered down version without the subtitles?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

longshot unimportant request: did anyone recognize the ringtone Daniel Craig's character had? it was like a futuristic sounding synth line. i only heard it once, toward the beginning of the film (or at least the first half)

Daniel Craig as an actor is just not functional . The only movie i've seen him in where he performed well was Layer Cake.

an american remake of something that came out like 2 years ago? that's gotta be a new low.

its really not though, we remade Let the right one in no more than 2 years after it's original release. Same with REC, the american version 'quarantine' came out not too long after. Ju-on / The grudge Ringu/ The Ring. I could go on for a much longer post but i wont

Guest RadarJammer

I saw the original film, I'm not going to ruin that. Why does Hollywood feel so compelled to do remakes? Is it purly for the American audience needing a watered down version without the subtitles?

As a serious foreign movie addict who can't get enough of subtitled movies I am always super happy/excited to see an American remake of a foreign film that I like. I don't normally like to watch the same version of a movie twice so when a remake appears it gives me a chance to experience the story again with a different perspective.

There will sometimes be a really crappy remake (Dinner for Schmucks) that I'l wish I hadn't seen but not because it will ruin the original for me in any way.

occasionally there will be an awesome remake like the Thing by John Carpenter or Innerspace. I even thought the Coen brothers Ladykillers was really good. those are exceptions rather than the rule though

Yeah, I seriously doubt that this new girl will be even remotely equal to Noomi Rapace.

I'm looking forward to Prometheus way more than this pointle$$ remake.

And as it turns out, I was wrong. Rooney Mara was the best thing about the remake.

As much as I like David Fincher and Rooney Mara and what a great job they did, I can't condone this shamelss remake bullshit. We have talented people here, use them for something original.

But Fincher will be making 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea next... hmmm.... hmmm...

because the book is insanely popular in the states at the moment. So Fincher wanted to capitalize on that, I don't think it was a remake just a different adaptation of the same book.

Also americans are spoiled by native language movies so they are less likely going to watch one with subtitles. There is still a market of remakes of foreign films.

I don't think it was different enough from the Swedish version to have its own voice or justify its existence. I still like David Fincher, but I hope he's making money for some kind of awesome vanity project that studios don't trust anyone with.

Roony Mara, though.

Daniel Craig as an actor is just not functional . The only movie i've seen him in where he performed well was Layer Cake.

best I saw him in was that Tom Hanks gangster movie. Whatever it was called. The one directed by the guy who did American Beauty and got divorced from Kate Winslet. Sam Mendes...right...

• 4 weeks later...

watched it. the music was really good.

the movie was a bit too disjointed though. daniel craig is boring. goth chick was cool, i wish they had spent more time examining her life instead of boring swedish journalist. also, the ending was stupid.

they introduce all this shit about nazism and weird religious symbols. so, that's pretty solid. then, it turns out the killer is just sexually aroused by murdering people? wtf. what was the point of all the investigating daniel craig was doing if almost none of it was relevant to solving the mystery? he could've broken into the guy's house in the first fucking act and it would've had the same resolution. well, i guess they wouldn't have discovered all of the other murders, but they don't even focus on that in the conclusion iirc. they're just like, "welp, this guy exploded. let's reunite the missing chick with her pa and go home and have sex and ruin this other dude's life for reasons that the audience doesn't really understand because the exposition in the beginning was rushed and obscured by shitty swedish accents."

also, if lisbeth is so fucking good at hacking bank accounts, why did she need to suck dick for food??

the end is also very abrupt. should've ended earlier imo because it seemed to taper off into boringness. who gives a fuck about daniel craig and his editor skank and leather jackets?? I WANT LISBETH BEING A BAD ASS.

The ending kinda sucked imo too, they're clearly trying to make her more emotionally attached to him than in the first book, probably to help with their plans for adopting the next movie. Also the whole exploitation situation is explained a lot better in the book. She can't employ her skills because she's one legal offense away from being sent back to a mental hospital, where she was brutally institutionalized. Movie kind glazed over why she's a ward of the state, only really hinting at it later.

This version, as much as I hate to admit it trumped the original. More of the plot line is included, the direction was grittier, and the soundtrack was pretty awesome. Respect to Reznor, I was seriously expecting to hate this one.

The rape scene was really, really well done (pay attention to the background noise to see what I mean).

American remakes are for the most part sad and pathetic, yeah, but we actually have made a few superior versions, the American remake of Ringu off the top of my head was miles better than that other boring schlock.

also, in response to Hoodie about the killer's motive:

red herrings. simple as that.

the American remake of Ringu off the top of my head was miles better than that other boring schlock.

wait what??

is this sarcasm? please tell me it is..

what made ring so good was the subtlety. It wasn't laid out in front of you to brainlessly gawp at, but almost unspoken. Proper psychological thriller style. It draws you in, makes your eyes scan every inch of the frame and your ears strain to pick up all the little hints. Original was an absolute master class, the American remake was unsubtle, mindless dross.

haven't watched the 2011 Girl with the dragon tattoo yet. I saw the older version a little while back and found it mediocre. I found the characters interesting enough, and developed quite nicely, but the plot sucked a big one. It was like miss marple with butt rape. in that regard I would've rather watched Poitroit.

What irritated me most of all was the pacing of the thing though. it kinda remind me of when you try to write something big on a piece of paper and midway through realise you've been trying to write too big. The last few letters end up all scrunched up and illegible. The film seemed to spend a lot of time at the start trying to establish the narrative, characters and so forth and spent way too long doing so. By the time the conclusion was due it felt super rushed trying to tie everything up all tidily.

Tempted to check out the remake, just to see if it's any better. As I said, I quite liked the characters, would be interesting to see a different approach to them.

BTW, haven't read the books, not really the type of thing I like to read.

..also, not sure if it's only in the 2009 film but..

did anyone else think straight away that the whole thing about the old dudes theory of the flower pictures being sent by the murderer to send him crazy completely laughable, and instead immediately reach the conclusion that the girl had just ran off?

I did, 3 hours later... OMG wat a supriz, she did totally run awaiys!!!

Fucking weak..

it wasn't done effectively though.

well, they never really are. Its like admitting you fell for it, know what i mean? but yeah, it could have been expanded upon a bit.

the American remake of Ringu off the top of my head was miles better than that other boring schlock.

wait what??

is this sarcasm? please tell me it is..

what made ring so good was the subtlety. It wasn't laid out in front of you to brainlessly gawp at, but almost unspoken. Proper psychological thriller style. It draws you in, makes your eyes scan every inch of the frame and your ears strain to pick up all the little hints. Original was an absolute master class, the American remake was unsubtle, mindless dross.

haven't watched the 2011 Girl with the dragon tattoo yet. I saw the older version a little while back and found it mediocre. I found the characters interesting enough, and developed quite nicely, but the plot sucked a big one. It was like miss marple with butt rape. in that regard I would've rather watched Poitroit.

What irritated me most of all was the pacing of the thing though. it kinda remind me of when you try to write something big on a piece of paper and midway through realise you've been trying to write too big. The last few letters end up all scrunched up and illegible. The film seemed to spend a lot of time at the start trying to establish the narrative, characters and so forth and spent way too long doing so. By the time the conclusion was due it felt super rushed trying to tie everything up all tidily.

Tempted to check out the remake, just to see if it's any better. As I said, I quite liked the characters, would be interesting to see a different approach to them.

BTW, haven't read the books, not really the type of thing I like to read.

sorry, i figured someone would disagree with me, but im sticking to the American version. Much more immersive soundtrack, the video was very well done and didn't look like a poverty stricken wannabe art-student montage involving hot towels, the visual coloring set a better tone, Brian Cox FFS, the girl at the end in the original looked completely ridiculous and cheesy.

I judge a horror movie thus: if it seriously disturbs me. I laughed more at the Japanese version than the American, and it was the first version I saw, because I tend to abide by the rule that remakes are usually subpar. I watched the American version and was legitimately unnerved quite a few times (a lot of the imagery reminded me of so many of my nightmares). Im stickin with the American one.

Maybe to bump up my credit though, I thought Ju-on was miles better than the American remake.

oh also, the fucking squeaky chair sound in the American remake...cmon, you gotta at least give it up for that sound. unnerving as all hell even still.

And the Ring 2 was fucking godawful. Can't say I've seen the Japanese version, though Im gonna go out on a limb now and say a sequel to that story is completely unnecessary in either case.

it wasn't done effectively though.

well, they never really are. Its like admitting you fell for it, know what i mean? but yeah, it could have been expanded upon a bit.

watch some hitchcock to see the red herring done right.

omg, you are totally misunderstanding me. you said that red herrings are never really effective and i suggested that, yes, they can be done right, watch some hitchcock. plenty of other directors have used it effectively as a plot device too--hitchcock just sprung to mind first.

david lynch is pretty good at it too (see: twin peaks). idk, do you want a list of people who are not hitchcock but simultaneously know how to use red herrings as a plot device?

the list wouldn't include david fincher.

yeah ill take a list. i never said they weren't effective, im saying not everyone sees an RH the same way, due to their sense of inherent dissatisfaction at being "had", or whether it was worth the time, etc. etc. a ton of Sherlock Holmes RH's sucked ass and were only there to expand the story for more than sixty pages, but its still a good read.

i dunno. we aren't going to see eye to eye on this. just assume I'm a stupid fat American that only likes American burgers and American Sega Genesis.

yeah ill take a list. i never said they weren't effective, im saying not everyone sees an RH the same way, due to their sense of inherent dissatisfaction at being "had", or whether it was worth the time, etc. etc. a ton of Sherlock Holmes RH's sucked ass and were only there to expand the story for more than sixty pages, but its still a good read.

i dunno. we aren't going to see eye to eye on this. just assume I'm a stupid fat American that only likes American burgers and American Sega Genesis.

2bad, you ain't gonna get a list :diablo:

Archived