IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

Hey guyz English isn’t my native language, And there are a lot of songs that I sing in the yogourts style, without knowing any meanings of the lyrics, and I’d like to know if this song from 1989 is about child abuse, or on the incest. I know it sounds strange but it’s an old track I love and I just recently Bumped into the lyrics, and couldn’t figure it out before it was about abused children, and from the POV of a pedophile.

It appears to me those lyrics And the theme (child abuse, and POV of the abuser) are special for an 80s thrash metal band...

• Like 1

I'm gonna go ahead and post Abba in the pop thread again.

The riffs/solos throughout this entire album are ridiculous.  Listened again for the first time in a while.  Interesting how rarely Megadeth ever incorporated choruses into their early work.  Even Slayer had choruses in most (all?) of their tunes.  Megadeth did a full 180 on their followup, which was all about big hooky choruses.  Metallica followed that same trajectory between Justice and Black album.  Was Dave consciously following their lead?  The timeline certainly works out for that to be the case.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Interesting how rarely Megadeth ever incorporated choruses into their early work.  .

Rust is an awesome album!

But there are plenty choruses on their first three albums, apart from the cover tunes and instrumentals? 

Killing is my Business / The Skull Beneath the Skin / Rattlehead / Looking Down the Cross / Wake Up Dead / Peace Sells / Devil's Island / Black Friday / Mary Jane / 502 / Liar / Hook In Mouth

Edited by psn

There are some choruses here and there, but I just listened to So Far So Good and Rust in Peace, and was struck by how often songs had no chorus, or if there was something that sounded like a chorus it would happen once and never again.  Very unusual.  I noticed the same thing with Nile, but that's a whole other category of metal.  Anyway, i know from Countdown onward the choruses became almost poppy (which I don't think is a bad thing, necessarily).  Going to go through the rest of their discog.  i'm really unfamiliar with most of what they did after Countdown.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

On 4/20/2020 at 1:01 AM, psn said:

Yeah, they definitely got more poppy from Countdown. That's where they lost me. ?

Listening to Youthanasia now... I am bored af.  Countdown's actually really solid.  The hooks on that one sound somehow more appropriate... less like "okay, now we need a hook to go here."  On Youthanasia it just sounds forced.  Also, these trebly guitar tones are so unflattering/hard to listen to.  I'm hopeful that the discog gets better after this.  They certainly never slowed down.

*ugh, and Mustaine's voice is just so whiny... really irritating album haha.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

The System has Failed is the only one I care for after Rust in Peace. They brought back a thrashier, more classic sound - with Chris Poland returning on the lead guitar and on Vinnie Colaiuta on session drums, incredibly enough... 

• Like 1

I still play Rust In Peace maybe three times a year, which doesn't sound a lot but I did play it massive amount back in the day and it's 30 years old. Still blows me away, such an incredible set of tunes. Peace Sell But Who's Buying is my second favourite. Hated 90% of Countdown To Extinction (maybe a couple of tunes were okay) and recent visit hasn't changed my mind.

I've added the new Oranssi Pazuzu album to my Spotify list. I'm so out of the loop with metal nowadays my 20 year old self would be shocked and probably pour a glass of beer over my head and wrestle me to the ground!

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 1