IGNORED

WATMM to cover Squarepusher

chassis

Does it matter if people cover the same tune?

Umm seems quite avoidable with Jenkinson's huge catalog of songs. The goal is to make a really good community compilation of covers (not remixes) that is quite listenable, interesting, front to back, NO SKIPPERS, all killer no filler, right?

Seems kind of redundant to have two covers of the same song on an album. If we were doing dramatically differently structured remixes it would be a different story.

In the way I understand "cover" there is just as much room for doing something original/different as there is in "dramatically differently structured remixes".

Personally, I'd rather hear people covering just the song they wanna do in the first place, than someone's cover of a song they had to choose because the 10 other favourite songs were taken. And I think there's even more of an incentive to be good and different if someone else is covering the same song as you. Or an incentive to choose another song because you wanna stick out.

If someone has a good idea for whatever song, let them do it! I bet half the people that have already called dibs won't even contribute a track in the end.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adjective

Does it matter if people cover the same tune?

Umm seems quite avoidable with Jenkinson's huge catalog of songs. The goal is to make a really good community compilation of covers (not remixes) that is quite listenable, interesting, front to back, NO SKIPPERS, all killer no filler, right?

Seems kind of redundant to have two covers of the same song on an album. If we were doing dramatically differently structured remixes it would be a different story.

In the way I understand "cover" there is just as much room for doing something original/different as there is in "dramatically differently structured remixes".

Personally, I'd rather hear people covering just the song they wanna do in the first place, than someone's cover of a song they had to choose because the 10 other favourite songs were taken. And I think there's even more of an incentive to be good and different if someone else is covering the same song as you. Or an incentive to choose another song because you wanna stick out.

If someone has a good idea for whatever song, let them do it! I bet half the people that have already called dibs won't even contribute a track in the end.

i agree with psn.

whatever song compels you to cover it would be the best choice, even if someone claimed it already. otherwise you're gonna be trying to force inspiration.

bonneville occident is calling me and i'm afraid, but giving it a shot.

I'd like to do "Do You Know Squarepusher".

I'm also looking for help in deciphering the lyrics.

That was my first choice, but I honestly wouldn't do that track justice. Good luck!

As if there wasn't enough pressure already :P. I'll do my best.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

What does cover mean in electronic music? I feel my version will not be a cover. :unsure:

Same thing it means in non-electronic music. Your interpretation of a song without any sampling, retaining as much of the originals ideas as possible, while giving it a new digital cool sound.

My first instinct is to do Hello Meow but i'm not for certain on that.

Let me know if you change, 'cause I might want "Hello Meow" if you do.

And since Billov's got "Tommib Help Buss", I think I'm gonna try "The Glass Road". Brace for guitarin'.

After giving it a bit more thought, if I do one I'm probably gonna do something off Shobaleader, so take it. :flower:

After giving it a bit more thought, if I do one I'm probably gonna do something off Shobaleader, so take it. :flower:

Sweeeet.

Oh phew, I don't have to be nice about it then. It's really unoriginal, horribly mastered, and extremely repetitive. Honestly it has some good aspects IMO, but yeah. It takes the pressure off me some quality wise.

hahaha knowing Beneboi he probably made that in like 35 minutes dude, it was nothing serious. I was being completely sarcastic and hadn't listened to it yet. If the drums weren't being compressed above the synths so hard that quick, demo cover would have been way super groovy.

What do we do when we're done?

Typically the protocol for community compilations is to email, or in this case, PM the original poster, or organizer , a link to download your finished track, and to not post it publicly until said compilation comes out. In addition to that, when posting your track, after the release of the compilation, it is usually in "good taste" to link to the entire compilation or say "hey check out my track on this compilation" in order to help promote the entire effort.

:cisfor:

Typically the protocol for community compilations is to email, or in this case, PM the original poster, or organizer , a link to download your finished track, and to not post it publicly until said compilation comes out. In addition to that, when posting your track, after the release of the compilation, it is usually in "good taste" to link to the entire compilation or say "hey check out my track on this compilation" in order to help promote the entire effort.

You should not have posted that already sheatheman. It's really nice but you could push it farther. As Brandi_B said this about the whole COMPILATION together as a conglomerate piece.

The deadline is March 6th

It's best (especially in this case) to sit on a first draft of music and reflect on it, then later decide how you could make it the best it possibly could be.

You should not have posted that already sheatheman. It's really nice but you could push it farther. As Brandi_B said this about the whole COMPILATION together as a conglomerate piece.

The deadline is March 6th

It's best (especially in this case) to sit on a first draft of music and reflect on it, then later decide how you could make it the best it possibly could be.

de-posted

Dibs on planetarium

you bastard

Noooooooooooooooo!!

I was so psyched up to do this one and had many ideas already worked out in my head for it! :sad:

Of course, that's what I get for just hearing about an SP compilation without actually checking the thread first. I might be able to use the same ideas for a different track, but that one would be perfect. I think having a couple covers of one song should be alright since chances are they will be drastically different versions anyway.

Archived