IGNORED

Windows 7 x64 MS Paint EXE Interpereted as PCM Data

Adamovich

Saw this on reddit yesterday.. I was doing this shit when I was like 11, don't really get why people are wowed by it so much :shrug:

This only proves that no matter what shit you will upload on SC, the more comments people post on your track, the better your shit becomes.

Guest Babar

the exe is in binary so its probably just similar strings of 1s and 0s, i dont think the translation is that high level where it can interpret code

so i could obtain the same results (aka repetitive patterns) by generating random strings of bits ?

Guest ezkerraldean

Saw this on reddit yesterday.. I was doing this shit when I was like 11, don't really get why people are wowed by it so much :shrug:

me too lol

you can get some pretty funky sounds importing masses of random data raw into Audacity though. a sampler's heaven.

Guest hahathhat

the exe is in binary so its probably just similar strings of 1s and 0s, i dont think the translation is that high level where it can interpret code

so i could obtain the same results (aka repetitive patterns) by generating random strings of bits ?

many patterns show up in computer code... especially once you squash it down to a binary. how many ways are there to do a for loop? :)

but, more likely, if it doesn't have its resources elsewhere, images and text strings would also have a more repetitive sound.

Guest ezkerraldean

i remember opening some of the massive data files from one of the old Sims games in Audacity, not as PCM but as something else. came out pink-noise-ish, but had loads of mad sounds within it. amazing fun. used some of it extensively in some of my really old songs when i was 16. don't tell EA games lol

all this is basically the digital equivalent of taking a bunch of different paint and just throwing it on a wall 80s style and calling it art

Ok, maybe you're not a "fucking idiot".

See also Gescom's - R M I Corporate Id 2 (which I'm still shocked no-one has tried to convert back to the original file format - I only have a weird .ogg version which obviously will not convert back again due to the compression...)

yeah this shit is kind of old but oh well, there goes an oppourtunity for reddit karama. oh no.

recently i find a lot of databending becoming popular. the techniques are almost all too easy and yield surprising results that have that 'woah bro, that's like mega crazy' aesthetic but no one ever seems to take it any further. i think there's a lot of conceptual ground that can be covered, but right now i see the majority of it turning into a sort of novelty. if you look around the majority of it is the typical character swapping/notepad/audacity type stuff. regardless, it is fun to open a .rom in a hex editor; copy and paste random chunks and try opening the game in an emulator. some stuff to read; http://gli.tc/h/wiki/index.php/Glitch_theory

when in the form of a wav.

has anyone tried to rename the files as .exe or .jpeg or .bmp ?

this is a 3.39mb mp3 opened as an image:

6_1204---pond-life.jpg

16x13inches originally. i've done large 700mb .avis and they can get up to 280x200 inches or so which i think is interesting; the ability to provide a sort of simulated x-y scale to something that shouldn't really be definable.

you can also bring files back to their intended representation. ansel adams opened as a wav, reverb applied and brought back to an image.

17_original.jpg

17_reverb.jpg

Archived