IGNORED

corc

blos

It's really good.

I've been listening to corc for 13 years but I was just struck by how incredible the sounds are. Actually I think LP5 is greatly underrated, it's rarely mentioned here compared to your Confields and Chiastics and Quaristices - yet it's got corc, rae, fold4,wrap5, arch carrier - stone classics all and some of my favourite Ae things ever.

Yes, LP5 is an incredible album. It was voted Autechre's second greatest album in the Ultimate Ae Album Poll.

The thing is, this album stands out as an extremely difficult item to get hold of. CD copies sell for upwards of £40 ($80) on eBay, and vinyl copies are even more scarce. It can no longer be bought first-hand from music outlets, not even from bleep.com

LP5 sits permanently in my top 3 of Ae albums. The other 2 albums always change between moods but LP5 always remains.

It always used to be easy to find, in fact my local hmv always had a good stock of Autechre and at the 9 pound mark. Got Amber, Chiastic Slide, LP5 all cheap from there.

I think Tri Rep was my first Autechre listening experience, but LP5 was the first thing I actually bought. Remember going in to the listening station at Gaslight Records in Melbourne (RIP) and they had it as one of the options, got about 30 seconds into 777 and headed for the counter with my wallet. Amazing it's hard to find such a short time later.

(edit) if anyone is looking for it there are a few copies offered on Discogs.com starting at $15.

Yes, LP5 is an incredible album. It was voted Autechre's second greatest album in the Ultimate Ae Album Poll.

The thing is, this album stands out as an extremely difficult item to get hold of. CD copies sell for upwards of () on eBay, and vinyl copies are even more scarce. It can no longer be bought first-hand from music outlets, not even from bleep.com

Wow. I just learned i disagree with a lot of people in Ae favorites.

Confield the best album? Piezo the best track on Amber? Surripere the best track on Draft 7.30?.... WTF :shrug:

I think LP5 is great, but for me it is one of their hardest albums to listen to. I find it much harder than later Ae albums that are called hard. I don't mean 'hard' as in it's challenging: more like, there's something about the way the album is structured, the overall sound of all its tracks, its repetitiveness in places (though I know it's not really repeating) and the linear structure of individual tracks which makes it a little bit difficult to endure at times.

Now, something like Confield, EP7, Draft 7.30 or Granz Graf might seem more whacked out at first - but I find these extreme releases easier to immerse myself in. They wash over more easily, even if you don't quite understand what is always going on.

I think LP5 is great, but for me it is one of their hardest albums to listen to. I find it much harder than later Ae albums that are called hard. I don't mean 'hard' as in it's challenging: more like, there's something about the way the album is structured, the overall sound of all its tracks, its repetitiveness in places (though I know it's not really repeating) and the linear structure of individual tracks which makes it a little bit difficult to endure at times.

Now, something like Confield, EP7, Draft 7.30 or Granz Graf might seem more whacked out at first - but I find these extreme releases easier to immerse myself in. They wash over more easily, even if you don't quite understand what is always going on.

Good point that - maybe that's why I personally have underrated it, you just don't reach for it as an absorbing listen. But I would have to rate Rae as one of my all-time favourite Ae tracks, maybe #1, so it's surprising the rest of the album is a little offputting. I think it's the cleanest, most clinical and most digital of their catalogue, aside from Rae there's not much to connect with emotionally. Even if it sounds fantastic.

I think it's the cleanest, most clinical and most digital of their catalogue, aside from Rae there's not much to connect with emotionally. Even if it sounds fantastic.

i agree with this entirely. that aspect of it has almost dated it to the point that i haven't listened to it straight through in probably years, despite the fact that so many of the tracks are quite good on their own.

But it's only recently i have been really listening and liking Untilted (love it now btw).. Maybe i will learn to love Confield some day.

Same. Last summer I got into Untilted and then Confield clicked with me not long after.

I think LP5 sounds much less dated than Confield, and has much more feeling than anything that came after. I think it has the perfect balance between emotion and mindfuckability. I really think it's their best and most cohesive album.

That's Autechre for ya. Dividing fans and whatnot.

Good album. Perfect flow up to and including fold4wrap5. After that the flow gets interrupted somewhat. Really gotta be in a specific mood to enjoy under BOAC. And arch carrier...shares a melody with Gangsta's Paradise.

Corc is great, one of their happy tracks. Bounces along so merrily. I feel it's somehow related to Pir.

Drane2...again perfection.

vinyl copies are even more scarce.

Really? I bought the vinyl last year for $20 on Discogs. I've been obsessively hunting down all the AE vinyl and LP5 was (by comparison) not very difficult to get.

lp5 was my favorite for a long time until confield took its place.

to me lp5 is one of their most emotional albums. from that starving robot child synth which starts off acroyear to the gorgeous and affirming finish of drane2. 777 and caliper remote are the only tracks without really direct melodies.

vose in is underrated imo, its probably my favorite track on the album right now. the slickest.

I think LP5 sounds much less dated than Confield, and has much more feeling than anything that came after. I think it has the perfect balance between emotion and mindfuckability. I really think it's their best and most cohesive album.

pretty much, although I rate Chiastic a bit higher. I certainly don't understand the claim that it's less emotional than their other albums. I think it's possibly their most emotional album (but also a pretty dark one).

lp5 was my favorite for a long time until confield took its place.

to me lp5 is one of their most emotional albums. from that starving robot child synth which starts off acroyear to the gorgeous and affirming finish of drane2. 777 and caliper remote are the only tracks without really direct melodies.

vose in is underrated imo, its probably my favorite track on the album right now. the slickest.

pretty much, although I rate Chiastic a bit higher. I certainly don't understand the claim that it's less emotional than their other albums. I think it's possibly their most emotional album (but also a pretty dark one).

Yeah, LP5 is my favorite Autechre album, brutally emotional (and cohesive, as Candiru said). Corc especially, something about it manages to tear my insides apart every time I hear it. And for as much as I love it it's one of those albums I can only bring myself to listen to maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to me too and say that I think it's a cracking album too. Mildly distressed to hear that it's rare these days.. think I got mines a year or two after release and never gave it much thought. Now I'll be too paranoid to listen to it in the car for fear of crazy mental car thiefs breaking in and stealing it.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow. I just learned i disagree with a lot of people in Ae favorites.

Confield the best album? Piezo the best track on Amber? Surripere the best track on Draft 7.30?.... WTF :shrug:

same here. Confield as best album pleasantly surprises me, but the Piezo kinds of votes made me wonder, and LP5 is actually my least favourite of them all. Surripere is obvious though, isn't it? It's the longest and possibly the most intense. I still voted for IV VV IV VV VII.

Archived