IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

had unwanted psychedelic experience that im still reeling from. and that was on Monday. The shit bit is not having anyone to talk to about stuff like that. 97% Most people just fall in to the 'you're mad' chat, which is fine and stuff. But it was still an experience I witnessed. and now stuck with the multiple of possibles it could have been, and my scientific brain really didnt need another conundrum. :dry:

Just had a looooong discussion with someone at work about some vocals I was supposed to match up with a song. Alright, fair enough. But the reference mix, which was in a different language, they sent along had a intro that wasn't in the final mix I was supposed to match the vocals to.

Jesus fucking Christ.

So I told my colleague, and she didn't understand. At all.

Then I told her that I wouldn't be able to match the vocals to the music, unless I knew if the intro was supposed to be part of the final song or if it was something they had just accidently left in.

I ended up closing my laptop and leaving.

FUCK!

lel it seems you have been having bad days at work lately

I've been there a year now, and it struck me about 3-4 months ago how little they know about the business they're in.

I'm the only sound engineer there so I'm a one man army who tries to explain people what the fuck they're working with. For instance, I've told them so many fucking times now that every now and then we need recordings made in 48kHz, 24bit.

50% of the time the recordings I receive are in 44.1kHz, 16bit.

I'm gonna make myself a website right away and then focus on doing more and more freelance stuff and then hopefully 12 months from now I'll be able to tell my boss to go fuck himself.

why do you need 48?

48kHz is the standard when it comes to commercials, movies etc. And cameras record sound at 48kHz, so if you suddenly import a 44.1kHz file into a 48kHz project you're gonne mess it all up.

Plus, it's the principle. They know absolutely nothing about sound. And I mean nothing.

Went to a random phrase generating site, partly because I'm stumped on a name for a track, partly because of that new Wilco song. Now I can't seem to pull myself away. I enjoy idiotic time wasters like this way too much.

Not posting your favourites is a bit not cricket.

I'm 34 next week :/

so young.

feel betr nao ?

Not posting your favourites is a bit not cricket.

Yeah, I read over the several that I copied down and decided they really weren't great enough to warrant sharing, even though they were the most hilarious thing in the world to me at the time.

My sample rates keep changing around on me, then switching back, for reasons I can't explain... I feel like I'm losing my mind. Also, useless, stupid, existential angst, or something... feel like getting drunk by myself. Brain is sludge. Can't write in complete sentences.

My sample rates keep changing around on me, then switching back, for reasons I can't explain... I feel like I'm losing my mind. Also, useless, stupid, existential angst, or something... feel like getting drunk by myself. Brain is sludge. Can't write in complete sentences.

That feelin'..

That feelin'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEDgRHDQhQo

'uu the phd sounds nice delish too. I can see the dilemma then. bon chance plstik

thanks! hopefully I can make up my mind this week..

Got a job offer for a job following my MSc and an offer for a PhD at a grad school.. Can't decide between the two...

Go for the PhD - working blows goats (and I like my job).

Edit: Assuming you don't have family responsibilities that is.

Yeah normally I would, but baby is on its way (due end of october) and a bigger salary would be nice... the phd salary + my wives maternity leave would be enough for 2 years, unsure though what it'll look like in the 3rd year. I could also do my Phd in industry with a better payment, but it's unclear if it'll happen at all and unlikely before October... not sure if I wanna take that risk.

damn grown-up stuff....

I always imagined a high pitched squeaky voice that was impossible to understand whenever I saw delet's old posts. As a result I had absolutely no handle on their actual tone or content.

'uu the phd sounds nice delish too. I can see the dilemma then. bon chance plstik

Got a job offer for a job following my MSc and an offer for a PhD at a grad school.. Can't decide between the two...

Yeah normally I would, but baby is on its way (due end of october) and a bigger salary would be nice... the phd salary + my wives maternity leave would be enough for 2 years, unsure though what it'll look like in the 3rd year. I could also do my Phd in industry with a better payment, but it's unclear if it'll happen at all and unlikely before October... not sure if I wanna take that risk.

damn grown-up stuff....

mind if i ask what it would be in? interested as i may face a similar choice (provided i get into a phd program)

1wp: my dad doesn't understand the difference between tasty food and edible food. he buys stuff that could be good and then ruins it.

damn grown-up stuff....

You live in germany - don't they have free day care? Wouldn't your wife go back to work after two years?

Do something you like, and forget about the money.