IGNORED

Rustie - Glass Swords

jhonny

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got around to buying this yesterday. It's pretty great, though the tracks aren't nearly as long as I expected. Totally could have been a single LP, it does sound pretty damn amazing on vinyl though.

I'm also very glad it doesn't sound much like the new Pselodux material, thank fuck!

the modern trance synths, the grime tracks, big USA rap anthems, his chav looks, the scratching.. and then he drops aphexian melodies and tight surprising transitions everywhere

unlikely, but it works

• 2 weeks later...

the modern trance synths, the grime tracks, big USA rap anthems, his chav looks, the scratching.. and then he drops aphexian melodies and tight surprising transitions everywhere

unlikely, but it works

it works on a temporary basis for me, but after i listen to it i have almost no desire to return to it. I don't know i still feel like Rustie would have been better off going his own direction instead of chasing Butter's tail

I love the album and I have not stopped loving it, but I do limit my listens to it, because it is like candy and I know that if I consume too much of it, I will make myself sick (of it.)

That aside, it is one of my favorite albums of the year, if not my favorite. I loved Butter and I loved Sunburst, and yet, for some reason I was not super excited for Glass Swords. When it leaked, I downloaded it to give it a shot, and it sat on my hard drive unlistened until the actual release date, where I decided to actually give it a listen and see what I thought. It pretty much blew me away, and I danced harder than I had since I first heard "Alright!"

I think the reason a lot of WATMM doesn't like it is because a lot of WATMM is over 30. Like, I am not one to normally discriminate against age, and I don't think that you have to be in your 20s to enjoy it by any means, but it was kind of made for a specific generation. The ridiculous 90s cheesiness and brightness, the unashamed modern hip-hop influence, the overall video game feel, etc. etc.

Rustie clearly sought out to make a hit for the people who grew up in the 90s, and god dammit, I am a sucker for it.

(I will admit that I have to skip all nite to maintain my sanity though. just too poppy for me)

Also, an evolution of Jagz the Smack would probably been just as good, and been a bit more timeless. I am still happy with what we got though.

the modern trance synths, the grime tracks, big USA rap anthems, his chav looks, the scratching.. and then he drops aphexian melodies and tight surprising transitions everywhere unlikely, but it works
it works on a temporary basis for me, but after i listen to it i have almost no desire to return to it. I don't know i still feel like Rustie would have been better off going his own direction instead of chasing Butter's tail

i dunno, but i sure am gonna watch how the glaswegians gonna do--live that, is. butter is way different from this sht, btw.

Archived