IGNORED

Rustie - Glass Swords

jhonny

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I found interesting, particularly on Last.fm, was how people were knocking down Hudson Mohawke over this. My problem with this is that Hudson's new EP doesn't sound similar to Glass Swords at all. I can understand with Sunburst, a few years ago Hudson and Rustie did sound similar, but at this point they are starting to develop their own sounds. Not to mention it's a bit unfair to compare a LP to an EP.

Guest orbitfold

Did not enjoy it that much. I can see how his style is something that is not done a lot, but the actual tracks are pretty uninspired. I was listening to it while riding a bike and had to switch it off because it got frustratingly bad at places.

One thing I found interesting, particularly on Last.fm, was how people were knocking down Hudson Mohawke over this. My problem with this is that Hudson's new EP doesn't sound similar to Glass Swords at all. I can understand with Sunburst, a few years ago Hudson and Rustie did sound similar, but at this point they are starting to develop their own sounds. Not to mention it's a bit unfair to compare a LP to an EP.

i was actually just going to post about how the opposite is true. That Rustie before this EP did have a much more unique sound where he stuck to purely synthetic sounds most of the time, and now with this new EP he seems to be decidedly biting the Hudmo 'butter' sound by using a lot of sampled drums and similar sample treatments. I liked Rustie's earlier more 808 synth heavy centric stuff better

i was actually just going to post about how the opposite is true. That Rustie before this EP did have a much more unique sound where he stuck to purely synthetic sounds most of the time, and now with this new EP he seems to be decidedly biting the Hudmo 'butter' sound by using a lot of sampled drums and similar sample treatments. I liked Rustie's earlier more 808 synth heavy centric stuff better

Very interesting, thank you.

this guy actually uses those forbidden drum hits that go like

do.. do.. do.. do.. do do do do dodododo *start next part of song*

its like.. woah.

someone actually does that still..

God damn, I do a bit of that with my new Pselodux stuff. By the time my new album comes out, people are gonna be accusing me of ripping him off :facepalm:

i like it but i find the synths are really digital sounding and a bit harsh

I think that's the point, right?

Very interesting, thank you.

I can only underline this. I like the new Rustie album alot, but he is ripping of Hudson Mohawke all the time and Hudson Mohawke himself is actually way more innovative and on new ground with his new EP, which I also like a lot.

i like it but i find the synths are really digital sounding and a bit harsh

:facepalm:

I love his take on 'hard techno' or whatever at the beginning of "Death Mountain," but then the Rugrats sounds come in and totally lame out the song. In a lot of cases, I feel like melodies that don't get developed and sounds that are deliberately obtrusive and goofy-sounding ruin the vibe I was hoping for, given the sound of my favorite tracks on this album.

Also, as far as the Hudson Mohawke comparisons -- I find (1) the horn-like synth in After Light is just like the horn-like synth line of "Thunder Bay"; (2) the varying hi-hat speeds on the (crappy) hip-hop takeoff "City Star" works just like Cbat (which I think is equally crappy), and both tracks basically have one annoying melody that is repeated throughout the song without ever going anywhere; and (3) the chipmunk R&B vocal samples on a few tracks are like those in "Thank You" (although I think they sound awesome on both albums).

Not sure how over or under hyped this album is, but I listened to a few songs on the way into work and very much enjoyed it.

I love his take on 'hard techno' or whatever at the beginning of "Death Mountain," but then the Rugrats sounds come in and totally lame out the song. In a lot of cases, I feel like melodies that don't get developed and sounds that are deliberately obtrusive and goofy-sounding ruin the vibe I was hoping for, given the sound of my favorite tracks on this album.

Also, as far as the Hudson Mohawke comparisons -- I find (1) the horn-like synth in After Light is just like the horn-like synth line of "Thunder Bay"; (2) the varying hi-hat speeds on the (crappy) hip-hop takeoff "City Star" works just like Cbat (which I think is equally crappy), and both tracks basically have one annoying melody that is repeated throughout the song without ever going anywhere; and (3) the chipmunk R&B vocal samples on a few tracks are like those in "Thank You" (although I think they sound awesome on both albums).

Nice, tracks like Cbat and Thank You have way less fluff and glare, and have more Hip Hop influences than anything.

• 1 month later...

Now the hype has finally faded a little. I thought I'd give this a listen.

Okay the samples I heard of this lead me to believe this was just soft-cock music, a bit lame. But.

I presume if grasshoppers could make music and if those grasshoppers ate lsd for breakfast then this is the music they would make. So in otherwords is pretty fucking ace!!

Now the hype has finally faded a little. I thought I'd give this a listen.

Okay the samples I heard of this lead me to believe this was just soft-cock music, a bit lame. But.

I presume if grasshoppers could make music and if those grasshoppers ate lsd for breakfast then this is the music they would make. So in otherwords is pretty fucking ace!!

lol

Archived