IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Sonny is a stand up guy and seems pretty humble. I don't listen to his stuff but if it got played at a rave I'd dance to it. The aggression and mental nature of his basslines still appeals but as I say its not preference musically. What I found more depressing was when people were going wild over shit like 16-bit's "Chainsaw Calligraphy" and Doctor P's "Sweetshop" both of which have no bass weight whatsoever and sound even worse at volume and plus just sounded horrid to my ears anyways lol.

I think Sonny is a stand up guy and seems pretty humble. I don't listen to his stuff but if it got played at a rave I'd dance to it. The aggression and mental nature of his basslines still appeals but as I say its not preference musically. What I found more depressing was when people were going wild over shit like 16-bit's "Chainsaw Calligraphy" and Doctor P's "Sweetshop" both of which have no bass weight whatsoever and sound even worse at volume and plus just sounded horrid to my ears anyways lol.

You know, he's come off as arrogant in interviews, but a lot of it seems to be the pandering questions of the oft douchey interviewers. This gave me a terrible first impression. This video annoyed me too, when he "dismisses" haters he just takes on the issue of obvious trolls. He doesn't seem to want to tackle the issue that his fans and his peers have turned dubstep into something almost opposite of it's roots. There's a lot of ignorance and arrogance held by many of fans (albeit not all of them) that essentially turned "dubstep" into a dirty word. Notice how all of the original producers don't even use the term, and "Future Bass" and "Future Garage" are used instead? It's kind of like the term "emo," only that was tainted and misappropriated over a longer more gradual period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0MIxoM_o_8

That said, I think you make a good point, I think he's music is terrible but I see the appeal. He didn't choose to blow up and become popular. And why should he not continue to make music for his increasing fanbase? Also agree that his music is way less needlessly loud and aggressive as a lot of other filthstep and brostep. I rather have people go apeshit over his tracks than say, some fucking Borgore track.

He's seems like a nice enough kid in this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EPt6L0llg

My friend that teaches that Audio class started making brostep now... looks like the younger crowd in his class influenced him. I'm hoping that he can prove some type of point though with integrating other influences instead of him caving into the latest trend.

In general, I am fascinated by how rave "won". The Criminal Justice bill, "faceless techno bollocks", all of it seemed to have not mattered. My only nag is that I did not have the camaraderie and easy means to make techno that kids have now. I remain sad even in my 30's because I still never move beyond the virtual when it comes to the music I love and while Skrillex came to a local club here last summer (when that chick died), I'd have to be "that guy" among all the kids.

tl;dr Untitled-1.jpg

I consider myself lucky in that i've been surrounded by other electronic producers since i was 17. In every city i've lived there has been at least one person putting on decent, regular electronic nights. And now, i'm settling nicely into the chiptune scene which is fucking excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86khmc6y1yE&ob=av3e

hate aside, if i had to like any of his tracks it would be this one.

why don't you just admit that you like it?

i like it

all trolling in this thread aside, if you like something just say so. Why this false charade of using some psuedo-justification bullshit? "if i had to like any of his tracks it would be this one" What does that even mean?

i don't think i've ever heard an artist use the same exact sound in every song (at least every one i've heard so far). i wonder--does he just love that sound, or is he just giving the kids what they want?

it reminds me of this dave clark five best of my wife has, all the songs sound just like "glad all over", like the record company saw that hit and made them record an album full of them.

artistically bankrupt.

i don't think i've ever heard an artist use the same exact sound in every song (at least every one i've heard so far). i wonder--does he just love that sound, or is he just giving the kids what they want?

I wouldn't accuse him of doing it in every song. He actually has a decent amount of variety in a few (though not too many). I also think he legitimately likes what he's doing; he seems to be enjoying himself from what I've seen of him.

Archived