IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

After it gets going, Wytches is some good stuff.

If I'm gonna start reading Saga, get volume 1, or spring for the more expensive Book 1, that collects volume 1-3?

I'd just get the regular volume 1. I had a violently negative reaction to that series pretty much from the first scene. Have you read anything else by Brian K Vaughn?

I love the artwork in Saga. I only read it up to issue 10 or so, but I was enjoying it. I might collect the books/volumes when I have some extra cash.

Anybody reading The Vision by Tom King and GH Walta? I don't normally read many Marvel or DC books, but this one has been p great through 2 issues. Really interesting, non-superhero take on an Avengers character.

Edited by doublename

Yeah Vision is my favorite Avenger so I was waiting for the first TPB. What is his relation with Scarlet Witch now? This seems like the inverse of House of M, where she created her ideal family in her head.

Guest bitroast

currently on book1 fir berserk. i pretty much only really paid attention to this series after i caught a dark souls interview woth miyazaki n friends and gor talking about berserk influence and holy shit are they not kidding. so straight up im mainly reading this with a keen eye for the art and spooky medieval vibe. it is not disapointing !!

Reading The Wicked and The Divine, fucking love discovering Kieron Gillen again after all these years, he was my favourite reviewer when I was a nerdy teen devouring PC Gamer.

Yeah Vision is my favorite Avenger so I was waiting for the first TPB. What is his relation with Scarlet Witch now? This seems like the inverse of House of M, where she created her ideal family in her head.

I haven't been keeping up with the whole All-New All-Different relaunch, so I'm not sure what's going on with Scarlet Witch. Maybe it's explained in one of the main Avengers titles.

Edit: According to Amazon, the first trade isn't out till June 2016. This is why I hardly read Marvel books. FFS.

Edited by doublename

There's a big Inage Comics 50% off sale going on at Comixology right now. I scooped up all of Matt Fraction's Casanova for ~$30.

Thx for the heads up, I just grabbed the Fear and Loathing graphic novel for half off. And a bunch of free titles.

Picked up a few things over the holidays:

DKTMR_Cv2_1_25_var.jpg?14503773379781401220372_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

DKIII book 2 Janson variant cover:

This installment of The Dark Knight seems decent so far, but it's still early to really form full impressions. I never really did read Dark Knight 2 after hearing the mixed reviews... Also picked up Gotham Central Vol. 1, Always been a fan of Ed Brubaker's writing so I knew I'd be into this, it's interesting to see the focus taken off of Batman and more on the GCPD.

Also, on a non-Batman related note... I decided to pick up Issue# 1 of Limbo after the cover grabbed my eye on the way to the counter. It's interesting so far, but hard to tell where it's gonna go yet. The art style is pretty cool, lots of bright colors that give everything kind of a "neon glow" type of feel, despite the darker content. Gonna pick up the other issues out so far and might have to stick with this one

Limbo_01-1.pnginterview-1-600x615.jpgLimbo01_PreviewPage2.jpg

Where do you guys get the info of the GN you want to read?

I listen to a couple of podcasts (Wait, What and House to Astonish) and read the solicitations for upcoming books (http://comicspectrum.com/Current_Solicits.html).

Edit: Anyone reading Unfollow or The Sheriff of Baghdad from Vertigo? It's good to see DC publishing some good creator owned work again.

Edited by doublename

• 1 month later...

So I've been continuing to follow Limbo and it's pretty interesting so far, part detective noir, part "Stay Tuned", and a lot of inspiration from voodoo, that ties together in a way that actually works so far. As I posted previously the art style is pretty wicked also.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/limbo
4998110-03.jpginterview-2-600x615.jpg

Also been continuing to read Gotham Central, which is fuckin' fantastic so far. It is Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka writing together though so that's to be expected, Brubaker's probably one of my fav comic writers overall.

Edited by ghOsty

*pokes head in thread*

Does manga count?

I'm currently tearing through I Am A Hero - think Japan's version of the Walking Dead. Really good so far, and apparently it's being translated and released here.

*pokes head in thread*

Does manga count?

I'm currently tearing through I Am A Hero - think Japan's version of the Walking Dead. Really good so far, and apparently it's being translated and released here.

Glad to hear you liked this. I'm waiting on the library to get a few copies in.

scud is great. i think i'm getting into comics now guys. cept not comic books, i like graphic novels cause i rather just buy a book and read it and not buy a comic every, how often do new comics come out? i don't even know.

Guest bitroast

ye. i cant do comics comics. it makes sense to get into comics comics, but it means reading so many series at the one time and spreading the interests out over a whole bunch which may or may not be good, and wait every month or so for a new issue. single issues are way too short. i have no idea how people do it.

just wait for the tradeback and good reviews works for me + 2nd hand on TPB if cost of comic is too offensive.

ye. i cant do comics comics. it makes sense to get into comics comics, but it means reading so many series at the one time and spreading the interests out over a whole bunch which may or may not be good, and wait every month or so for a new issue. single issues are way too short. i have no idea how people do it.

just wait for the tradeback and good reviews works for me + 2nd hand on TPB if cost of comic is too offensive.

I mostly read trades, then it's easier to jump around between different titles and read more content at a time. There's a few titles I've been following by issue lately and it is a little tedious (missed my chance on the final issue of The Fade Out...but I'll get it eventually) but at the same time the wait and collectibility of them makes it kinda fun. I'm looking forward to picking up issue 3 of The Dark Knight III later this month.

Made my regular trip to the shop today, and grabbed:

Limbo #4

Batman: Europa 1-4

and Hellblazer book 4 trade.

also still making my way through Preacher and Gotham central but the shop doesn't have the volumes I'm up to, I'll probably seek those out next month.