IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

I just rattled through the walking dead compendium 3, issues 96 - 144. I much prefer catching up on series this way, I think waiting for this to get released on a monthly basis would suck the life out of it for me.

It didn't feel like much actually happened over 48 issues compared to the early parts of the story, but I liked the war arch against Negan and the whisperers thing was fun, with potential to get pretty fucked up. The Carl and Lydia storyline was pretty messed up, he got his socket licked lol.

I need to catch up on the Walking Dead, I finished The vol. 2 compendium and a couple of the trades after. I left off just about when the war with Negan was warming up...

I totally stopped buying it. I got up to about issue 115 and just got real bored with the story. There are only so many times I can see them wander around and fuck people up.

Winshluss' Pinochio looks really really good, can't wait to get a hold of it

It's great, story is pretty fucked up at times. Not sure if there's translated versions, but there's not much dialog in it, my French is terrible and I followed it pretty easily.

I totally stopped buying it. I got up to about issue 115 and just got real bored with the story. There are only so many times I can see them wander around and fuck people up.

That was kind of my issue with it as well the overall story was just getting tedious... It was starting to get old how they'd manage their way through some impossible situation only to be met by some even MORE bleak situation... I mean I know that's kinda the whole point, but by Neegan it was getting a little ridiculous as he just seemed like The Governor 2.0

By "need to catch up", I more so meant that at this point I'm well behind, but idk... I'll get to it eventually it's not on the top of my list of series' I'm following right now.

Edited by ghOsty

Finished reading the "Endgame" arc of Batman, which was pretty great IMO...

For those interested in getting the trade, get the Joker edition NOT the Batman: Vol 7! Tthe Joker edition adds in the additional content of the arc from the other Batman related tie-ins and fills in the story much more than just the 5 issues of Batman, with the full arc it was a pretty intense read. I'm sure I will check out the continuation of Snyder's run with mech-suit Jim Gordon just to see where it goes, but it really felt like a great closure to the whole Batman story.

I'll probably be going back to fill in the cracks on pre-New 52 arcs (which I have mostly completed my collection of) before I move forward... I also started reading Preacher a little bit ago so I'll probably continue with that for a while.

Edited by ghOsty

Picked up Saga TP1 and Injection TP1.

I like the premise of Saga, looks like it could get quite fun quite quickly.

And Injection is nicely quirky and keeping me interested. Wayland Smithy is just down the road from me too so it was pretty cool to see some local places dropped in

Im reading Doraemon

Doraemon.full.50763.jpg

I got these english-translation copies from kinokuniya, they are for Japanese learning english, so they are in both english and japanese, so a learning tool also, but this is the only in-print Doraemon comics in English that I know of, and they are really amazing! It's kind of like Calvin and Hobbes Japanese style :D Great characters, drawings and humor.

http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9784092270114?cm_sp=rec-_-bdp-_-plp

Guest bitroast

finally read star wars : dark empire. in preparation for star wars ep 7 i guess : >

it's pretty horrible. the writing .. the bland characterizations. resurrecting the emperor (several times). ugh.

having said that, the main draw to the series in the first place was the water colouring..

the water colouring ( and overall 80s ROTJ-esque weirdness ) is spot on :):)

not recommended. just look at pictures of it instead.

CZ1RzAi.jpglOx5R5Z.jpg

CjiQl8X.jpg

Edited by bitroast

Guest bitroast

It's star wars. It's never been particularly Mensa level SciFi. Isnt it basically a fairy tail?

That comic does look nice though

shit writing is shit writing.

got nothing to do with sci fi vs fantasy.

winshluss_26.jpg

grid-220411grande.jpg

pinocchio_guerre.jpg

preview_page18.jpeg

what did you think about it? Never talked with someone disliking it and I feel alone in that camp. I bought it several years ago because I liked the aesthetic and it won a big prize. then I read it and couldn't really appreciate, I thought it's no more than a patchwork of really dirty things happening one after the other but I couldn't find any line in it. I thought it was superficial and was pretty disappointed about it

• 1 month later...

Finally gotten around to reading Preacher lately, and I'm loving it so far, dark and very twisted. I picked up book 3 today.

Also decided to get caught back up on The Fade Out, picked up issues 7-11 and have issues 4-6 on order. I liked where the first 3 issues were headed and have always been a fan of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' work together. Plus Sean's artwork on the covers is gorgeous.

TheFadeOut08-2x3-300.jpg

Also recently picked up the first issue of DKIII, and the pencils only "directors cut" issue of Batman: Endgame. I have yet to read DKIII but heard it's actually decent so far. Maybe having Brian Azarello on board as a creative filter for Frank Miller is paying off?

Edited by ghOsty

• 2 weeks later...

I normally can't stand Brian K Vaughn, but Paper Girls has been really good so far. It has the usual lazy pop culture references and shit Whedon-esque dialogue, but it's the first book he's written where I wouldn't celebrate the deaths of any and all characters. Cliff Chang's pencils are also fantastic.

Some other recommendations from 2015: Descender by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen, Invisible Republic by Corinna (?) Beckho and her husband, whose name I have forgotten. It was a really good year for new SF comics.

Edited by doublename

winshluss_26.jpg

grid-220411grande.jpg

pinocchio_guerre.jpg

preview_page18.jpeg

what did you think about it? Never talked with someone disliking it and I feel alone in that camp. I bought it several years ago because I liked the aesthetic and it won a big prize. then I read it and couldn't really appreciate, I thought it's no more than a patchwork of really dirty things happening one after the other but I couldn't find any line in it. I thought it was superficial and was pretty disappointed about it

Still haven't read it, comics are crazy expensive. Hopefully I'll get it with Christmas money