IGNORED

E3 2012

Npoess

The Last of Us looks potentially even better than Watch Dogs.

Anybody have any idea how these sorts of games are functioning, technically speaking? The dynamic dialog and action elements?

As far as dialog goes, I think they just put different audio files in a bank and then program the trigger to randomly select one, or select a particular one based on other elements. I'm no programmer, though.

I'm pretty sure they use a max/msp patch for it.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

sandboxes and narrative are in no way mutually exclusive

Agreed. Yet, like many gimmicks, the technique often forsakes the function.

How many games succeed in this marriage? Skyrim? Surely not. GTA? Blah.

The Last of Us looks potentially even better than Watch Dogs.

Anybody have any idea how these sorts of games are functioning, technically speaking? The dynamic dialog and action elements?

As far as dialog goes, I think they just put different audio files in a bank and then program the trigger to randomly select one, or select a particular one based on other elements. I'm no programmer, though.

I'm pretty sure they use a max/msp patch for it.

What is that? Intrigued.

Guest zaphod

fallout 3 fell pretty far in terms of writing. there's all sorts of great narrative threads that are just abandoned due to laziness on the part of the writers. the lovecraftian dunwich building comes to mind. i like the idea of user created narratives, like separate experiences creating a unique story for each player, but this is never really the case. in skyrim i would see little hints at something great, like the giants stopping after i killed a mammoth and sort of mourning it, but that isn't really narrative. it's creative programming but it never comes together in a holistic way.

watch dogs looks interesting. i'm not ever convinced by trailers like this since they can script everything out and spend lots of time tweaking a specific area and often the game doesn't function on that high a level. but the acting was kind of cool. the asian looking guy had some nice facial expressions. we'll see...

probably says something that the best games i played last year were limbo and amnesia, both "indy" games focused more on gameplay than anything else. i think really immersive gaming should put gameplay first above functioning as a sort of interactive movie, which is what these things often do. it's sort of like writing a comic as though it's a film. you miss out on the advantages inherent to the medium.

Watch Dogs looks great, but I couldn't help but think, why couldn't they save this for the next generation consoles? The current consoles will be lucky to get the framerates of the gameplay video they showed. However, fuck playing games from an office chair.

Connect the PC to the TV via HDMI. Loll about on the couch with the keyboard on your lap and the mouse by your side. Works fine for FPS' or anything else. Done it for years now.

going to be weird playing Mario on an Xbox

hah

now this is a nice tech demo. http://www.agnisphil...m/en/index.html

Next gen here I come. *throws money at screen*

http://youtu.be/UVX0OUO9ptU

embedded for ease of checkening. It won't bloody full screen though. My brother was showing me the clip today on fullscreen. I can't be bothered finding that source though. It's probably around the place.

Watch Dogs looks great, but I couldn't help but think, why couldn't they save this for the next generation consoles? The current consoles will be lucky to get the framerates of the gameplay video they showed. However, fuck playing games from an office chair.

They haven't said it's a current gen game. And the games press seem to agree that it is a next gen title. Or am I missing something?

Guest Mirezzi

They haven't said it's a current gen game. And the games press seem to agree that it is a next gen title. Or am I missing something?

http://kotaku.com/5915685/heres-a-brand-new-game-called-watch-dogs-its-not-a-sequel-or-a-reboot

UPDATE 2 - While not initially disclosed, Ubisoft has since announced that the game is due on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Nothing about The Last Guardian? :(

Not a peep. Not a good sign, and probably means it will be delayed even further, if it comes out at all.

It has probably been cancelled. Didn't the director leave the company?

The latest mention out of Japan (and why it wasn't shown at E3) was they are still having "technical difficulties" - since Sony promotes cross-team sharing of techniques and assets, why not get the current masters of the platform like Naughty Dog or Guerrilla to offer any tips or assistance? I have a feeling it has more to do with the director's absence (even though he's still on contract basis) than anything else.

http://kotaku.com/59...uel-or-a-reboot

UPDATE 2 - While not initially disclosed, Ubisoft has since announced that the game is due on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

I hope not. There's no way it will look as good on consoles as in the trailer. Not even Assassins Creed 3 is close to looking so good.

ibs07bttktgLmm.gif

ibcWMIlcmLTRBe.gif

ixV1B2LC8M2o7.gif

iVvnMwvnY0ZiF.gif

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

i8GNC4YS2aA2Y.gif

ibjsZhIJCBDALG.gif

imj2l1B02LYRq.gif

http://kotaku.com/59...uel-or-a-reboot

I hope not. There's no way it will look as good on consoles as in the trailer. Not even Assassins Creed 3 is close to looking so good.

ibs07bttktgLmm.gif

ibcWMIlcmLTRBe.gif

ixV1B2LC8M2o7.gif

iVvnMwvnY0ZiF.gif

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

i8GNC4YS2aA2Y.gif

ibjsZhIJCBDALG.gif

imj2l1B02LYRq.gif

PC master gaming race ftw

What? No.... I can't stand pc gaming.

Fine, play it on the console where it won't look anywhere near as good as that.

No-one is forcing you to play it on the system where it'll look the best.

EZ guys, it doesn't get much more epic than iphone gaming, that's where it's at.

Guest Enter a new display name

Could you please remind me how much money you were planning to spend on your next computer? £4000 if I'm not mistaken.

heh, if they offered tips or assistance, the tips would be: outsourcing. Naughty Dog and Guerrilla make the most heavily outsourced Sony games.

I've heard about that - apparently their core team directs hordes of contract programmers to do the trenchwork while they finesse the details?

Could you please remind me how much money you were planning to spend on your next computer? £4000 if I'm not mistaken.

Could you please realise that figure is not required for a great PC gaming experience?

Archived