IGNORED

summer beers

BCM

I love wheatbeers/weisbier but not much of an expert on the smaller, less well known brews. I've only had the half or dozen or so that Sainsburys and Tesco dictate to me.

I'd love to go to Germany just to travel round on a bicycle drinking loads of them, an educate myself lol.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love wheatbeers/weisbier but not much of an expert on the smaller, less well known brews. I've only had the half or dozen or so that Sainsburys and Tesco dictate to me.

I'd love to go to Germany just to travel round on a bicycle drinking loads of them, an educate myself lol.

doing it with a bicycle would also work as you could stay in a small area of bavaria like niederbayern oder ostallgäu, there are really a LOT of breweries. the rest of germany isn't really known for it's weißbier, the people drink pils mostly.

using a bicycle is also a better idea than using a car on german roads where you are allowed to drive 100 km/h on every street outside of a town. weißbier also makes you drunk faster than pils (but well that's just my experience). otherwise it's great in summer because it is really refreshing with its light acid. a lot of weißbier have a special aftertaste, e.g. the Schneider Weisse tastes a bit like bananas, which is really impressing as all of these beers are brewed after the reinheitsgebot.

conclusion: do this journey, now.

also: buy a german keyboard when you are in germany, so that you will be able to write the ß in Weißbier ;)

I

doing it with a bicycle would also work as you could stay in a small area of bavaria like niederbayern oder ostallgäu, there are really a LOT of breweries. the rest of germany isn't really known for it's weißbier, the people drink pils mostly.

using a bicycle is also a better idea than using a car on german roads where you are allowed to drive 100 km/h on every street outside of a town. weißbier also makes you drunk faster than pils (but well that's just my experience). otherwise it's great in summer because it is really refreshing with its light acid. a lot of weißbier have a special aftertaste, e.g. the Schneider Weisse tastes a bit like bananas, which is really impressing as all of these beers are brewed after the reinheitsgebot.

also: buy a german keyboard when you are in germany, so that you will be able to write the ß in Weißbier ;)

sounds like my idea of heaven, I'd probably do the same in Belguim too!!

Im a boring man:

Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA.

No IPA i have ever, ever had beats this one. Not even close. Try to prove me wrong. I will drink it, frown and wince in disgust at its blatant flavour inferiority and then spit on this thread.

Sadly DFH doesn't distribute here... I've tried to trade for the 90 and 120 min IPAs but haven't had the opportunity yet. The one I posted above is a really chill IPA, nice and citrusy, not overly bitter. Very refreshing. I'm sure Pliny would give the 90min a run for it's money though (it did just take "Best Beer in America" in Zymurgy magazine. 90 minute took 3rd btw)

I fell in love with Saint Arnold's after visiting their brewery in Houston last year. Been drinking this lately.

Saint-Arnold-Fancy-Lawnmower-Beer-fb.jpg

That's a solid one. I was lucky enough to go to a wedding (open bar) where they had available!

Guest Mirezzi

Im a boring man:

Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA.

No IPA i have ever, ever had beats this one. Not even close. Try to prove me wrong. I will drink it, frown and wince in disgust at its blatant flavour inferiority and then spit on this thread.

It's damn damn good, but it's not an "all occasions" beer, let alone IPA.

Lately, I've been doing:

Terminal-Gravity-IPA--400x600.jpg

Widmer_Rotator_IPA_Spiced_IPA.jpg

IMG_2221.JPG

kilt lifter is pretty good stuff. that terminal gravity IPA is great too. I did not know that Pliny had been rated #1 in the USA (#1), that's awesome. it deserves a prize.

Haha yes!! Both of the beers I was going to post [and have been drinking all day] were already posted in this thread!

Widmer_Rotator_IPA_Spiced_IPA.jpg

Cerveza%20Pacifico.jpg

I'm drunk off these. Cheers! :beer:

edit - I was pleasantly surprised by the ryePA. I've always avoided Widmer Bros for some reason, but this one is really well balanced, very drinkable but still assertive with its hops and rye flavor. I like it better than Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye, which I recall being thicker and stickier.

And Mexican beers are the perfect Summer beers of course. Pacifico, Modelo, or Bohemia with a slice of lime. Bohemia is my favorite.

I

sounds like my idea of heaven, I'd probably do the same in Belguim too!!

So.... 2013 WATMM Deustchland Beer Cycling Tour it is then.

Who's in?

I'm actually not joking. I'm totally up for doing this next summer. Let's see if we can get any insular IDM fans out of their house and into the great outdoors on their bikes.

Maybe I should start another thread. Which will get zero responses.

I really have to add Tallgrass 8-bit as an amazing beer I've been indulging in a lot as of late too! So damn good, hop-rocketed before canning through a bed of delicious Galaxy hops. They had an event a couple months ago that featured this beer with added strawberries and extra dry-hops MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

8_bit_1.jpg

I'm actually not joking. I'm totally up for doing this next summer. Let's see if we can get any insular IDM fans out of their house and into the great outdoors on their bikes.

Maybe I should start another thread. Which will get zero responses.

sounds great, and something I would be very interested in....

a lot of my mates have settled down in the last couple of years with sprogs, so I'd be more than keen to do something like this with some of you lads.

I'd be interested too. But like I said, I'm liable to die after 2 weisbiers.

Part of the fun!

My flatmate wants to do it. Is it worth starting a thread?

Archived