IGNORED

Post your first computer

J3FF3R00

compaqii-2.jpg

my dad's work computer that he would bring home all the time and let me play with.

then he got a raise and a new position and they comped him a new computer and he got this:

Wus7K.jpg

only ours was 486dx2 66mhz, 12mb ram, 2mb ATI 3d video card. it was a beast, but it had no cdrom and no soundcard and no modem. so it was years before i finally found out what descent and x-wing SOUNDED like.

lol, my family had one of these, I forgot about the turbo button. They should bring back the turbo button.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from a bunch of Apple II systems at school, we were actually a little late to the personal computing party:

IBM PS/1 circa 1992, 80386sx; I think.

ibm_ps1_1s.jpg

I could never get Falcon 3.0 to work.

Amiga 600, but it was my older brothers' so maybe that doesn't count. My first very own computer was a Gateway 2000.

00205931.jpg

266 whopping megahertz!

Guest mafted

ehh, don't remember.. some 386 with WordPerfect.. fuck yeah. i remember having the one after that and saving up to buy a 486 overdrive processor, which upgraded it from 66mHz to 83mHz, so i could play Quake. a brand new processor to upgrade 20mHz, just to have the floating point processor. lol those were the days

Guest futuregirlfriend

In 1995 a second-hand Amiga 500 showed up, along with a case of pirated floppies and a handful of originals.

ehh, don't remember.. some 386 with WordPerfect.. fuck yeah. i remember having the one after that and saving up to buy a 486 overdrive processor, which upgraded it from 66mHz to 83mHz, so i could play Quake. a brand new processor to upgrade 20mHz, just to have the floating point processor. lol those were the days

83mhz ? you probably had some x-treme oc edition, i remember upgrading my 66mhz cpu to a 80mhz one.

142017zxspectrum_48k.jpg

my late grandma was cool, she had one of these. i used to play videogames at her house, took ages to load from tape. memmorriiieesss

s8UDc.jpg

Apple 2c was my first and only for like 15 years.

Since we're talking grandmas, mine had this one:

KGRVm.jpg

As used by Arthur C Clarke (might've been popular with an older crowd).

M6dMH.jpg

N5iAM.jpg

I remember it had a game where little letters and numbers and letters chased each other through grids of random punctuation.

5726.jpg

First one I remember getting a lot of time in on. I know we had some older one's because we had giant floppies of shit like Operation Wolf around. I use to load up DOS games like Megarace. Spent some time playing King's Quest, WC2, and a bunch of other games on this bad boy. Also remember being introduced to Rebirth on this machine.

We had an 8088 PC that my dad had cobbled together from parts that his workplace was throwing out. All i remember about it was that it had an amber monochrome screen, a word processor and a few games like Alley Cat, Captain Comic etc.. I was so amazed when we upgraded to a CGA graphics card (4 colours), then later EGA, oh my god, 16 colours fuck yeah!

Funny thing is, the 'soul' of that PC lasted until 2008 when I finally abandoned desktop PCs. In other words, every time it was upgraded, at least one thing from the previous incarnation survived. It was mostly minor upgrades, so it was always a cobbled together mess.

I forgot about the turbo button. They should bring back the turbo button.

Haha! Our 386 had one! I remember my dad getting frustrated at the slow speed of the computer because he forgot to activate the turbo button!

c64 with cassette deck, then started getting cartridge games stag as the awesome top down tank battle game called vindicators! Then got a mega drive.

Our first home computer was a 386, cant remember the make but i do remember playing loads of text based dos adventure games and loving windows 3.1

oh, and i didn't become computer literate until 2006, when i moved to new york and my lovely know-it-all girlfriend at the time showed me everything from graphics to coding & programming. i went from country boy to super geek in about 2 years. god i miss her.

so, my first computer was some laptop, probably by dell, with XP on it.

edit: though i remember working with one of her machines running windows millennium edition, and learning photoshop on version 5 !

Archived