IGNORED

MARS, BITCH.

kaini

i know the whole point of this is for scientific discovery, but since they have such a high margin of error for the landing zone they always have to choose a really boring flat plain desert landscape for the landing. I say fuck the science and just land this baby on Mt Olympus next time, epic awesome panoramic views from a mountain taller than any on earth.

there's a big fuckoff mountain in the middle of the crater they landed at: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Aeolis_Mons

600px-673885main_PIA15986-full_full.jpg

it's 5.5km high

I'm wondering how big the rocks and such are in this photo, and all the photos. They should do one of those comparison things where they put a human in the picture, because I think that that stuff is much bigger than it looks.

Curiosity itself is huge (the biggest one):

Bpn8V.jpg

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

curiosity just tweeted they're gonna release the hires film of the landing soon.

here's a screenshot from the clip

674919main_pia16021-946.jpg

i wonder how many of us are going to watch that while playing Dayvan Cowboy

The chances against anything man-like on Mars are a million to one. Trust Ogilvy, man. And with all those lumps and bumps about I hope Curiosity has a self-righting mechanism.

But I'm fucking stoked for Curiosity as well. Had a soft spot for things astronomical since I read the novel of 2001 yonks ago.

curiosity just tweeted they're gonna release the hires film of the landing soon.

here's a screenshot from the clip

674919main_pia16021-946.jpg

Looks amazing, can't wait. My early cynicism is gone (kind of). I hope they find something interesting.

I wish we could see a video of the machine travelling thru the empty space. Space's emptiness is more fascinating to me than planets and stars

2910435507_6e2184593a.jpg

is curiosity going to be able to detect traces of water or ice on mars?

Yeah, it has bunch of scientific instruments, and its mission involves poking around the crater and the nearby mountain to zap rocks and detect organic compounds. Part of the intent in placing it near the mountain is to get a better picture of the environmental record by investigating the different layers up the mountain's elevation.

See, eg, http://www.space.com...ng-success.html

im hoping for dinosaurs on mars

Are you saying that dinosaurs escaped earth 65 million years ago and developed an underground civilization on mars?

dinosaurs-tv-show.jpg

i know the whole point of this is for scientific discovery, but since they have such a high margin of error for the landing zone they always have to choose a really boring flat plain desert landscape for the landing. I say fuck the science and just land this baby on Mt Olympus next time, epic awesome panoramic views from a mountain taller than any on earth.

You wouldn't actually see a difference from the top of Mt. Olympus since it's too large, you would have no idea you're actually on top of a mountain looking at the panorama surrounding you.

I'm just waiting for a human exploration of Phobos.

doom_map_you_are_here-1.png

haha, i forgot how much Doom was inspired by some of my favorite movies at the time, Evil Dead 2 and obviously Total Recall. I forget, is Doom 2 the one on mars?

I'm just waiting for a human exploration of Phobos.

doom_map_you_are_here-1.png

haha, i forgot how much Doom was inspired by some of my favorite movies at the time, Evil Dead 2 and obviously Total Recall. I forget, is Doom 2 the one on mars?

doom is on mars, doom 2's subtitle is "hell on earth".

Yes, the you enter hell via a portal on Phobos - it was created inadvertently during a teleportation experiment on Mars' moons conducted by a multi-national conglomerate called Union Aerospace Corporation secured by space marines. Bang on about the Evil Dead 2 and Total Recall references, especially the former. I completely avoided the Doom movie b/c it had some lame plot about viruses or some shit.

Archived