IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

the only reason i can see a 2 month lead time making sense is because reviewers tend to have day jobs (surprise, this profession most likely does not pay a living wage) and are probably a procrastinating bunch much like most people in the music industry. If you make a reviewer feel as if he/she has to 'rush' to write something in say a month or only 2 weeks, you're going to get a lot less reviews. Most reviewers and outlets would ideally like to maintain that image of having the 'scoop' or in this case the early word on what the album sounds like. 2 months is about the perfect amount of time to make sure you get maximum exposure. It makes plenty of sense why a band with as big of a cult following as AE would still need to (or more like Warp still needs to) go through the regular routine to promote a new work. Then when you cross into a bigger echelon of fame you'll have just a team of people constantly promoting you. Huge movie stars will still play these types of games, people get paid a lot of money for being hype men. And if you are Tom Cruise you can hire a lot of hype men to make sure you get positioned into the next role you want while combatting those nasty gay 'arranged marriage' and 'crazy scientologist' rumors

I suppose that would make sense except that how fucking long does it take to write an album review? Presumably these gentlemen get the opportunity to listen to the album on their commute to and from work, as well as in the evening time. I've written reviews for Ae Albums before and whilst I may not be doing it professionally it still only takes me like absolute max 2 hours to write a full comprehensive track-by-track review but most of these reviews will likely be shorter than this paragraph. Also pitchfork will be super lame.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

I really want to listen to Exai. I had the fortune of a Ufabulum leak. Why the universe hates me so much to show me how easy it is for this shit to get around but not give me what i want when i want ... i will never know.

wait... are you saying its 'out there now'... has it....... :wang:

??

the only reason i can see a 2 month lead time making sense is because reviewers tend to have day jobs (surprise, this profession most likely does not pay a living wage) and are probably a procrastinating bunch much like most people in the music industry. If you make a reviewer feel as if he/she has to 'rush' to write something in say a month or only 2 weeks, you're going to get a lot less reviews. Most reviewers and outlets would ideally like to maintain that image of having the 'scoop' or in this case the early word on what the album sounds like. 2 months is about the perfect amount of time to make sure you get maximum exposure. It makes plenty of sense why a band with as big of a cult following as AE would still need to (or more like Warp still needs to) go through the regular routine to promote a new work. Then when you cross into a bigger echelon of fame you'll have just a team of people constantly promoting you. Huge movie stars will still play these types of games, people get paid a lot of money for being hype men. And if you are Tom Cruise you can hire a lot of hype men to make sure you get positioned into the next role you want while combatting those nasty gay 'arranged marriage' and 'crazy scientologist' rumors

I suppose that would make sense except that how fucking long does it take to write an album review? Presumably these gentlemen get the opportunity to listen to the album on their commute to and from work, as well as in the evening time. I've written reviews for Ae Albums before and whilst I may not be doing it professionally it still only takes me like absolute max 2 hours to write a full comprehensive track-by-track review but most of these reviews will likely be shorter than this paragraph. Also pitchfork will be super lame.

it takes about a week usually, which includes listening, putting your thoughts on paper and write a coherent review about it. but don't forget the fact some music magazines are monthly, so the two months wait isn't that strange

No offense to Autechre, but I feel like no amount of reviews are going to make or break sales enough to hang their hat on. They have their fan base already. MAYBE from album to album they sell a couple thousand units to newbs.

I hate to bring them up, but look at Pitchfork. Their reviews come out like day of release. This gotta get it to reviewers early business is for the birds

No offense to Autechre, but I feel like no amount of reviews are going to make or break sales enough to hang their hat on. They have their fan base already. MAYBE from album to album they sell a couple thousand units to newbs.

I hate to bring them up, but look at Pitchfork. Their reviews come out like day of release. This gotta get it to reviewers early business is for the birds

reviews are for the people that wanna buy new stuff and for the fans that still don't know a new ae is comin. so it does make sense to have as much reviews as possible

LOL

You just can't take it that you didn't get a promo.

On a sidenote: there used to be radioshows playing a couple of tracks from new ae albums. Apparently such things stopped to exist? Or are we collectively out of the loop.

Apart from that one track, btw.

Edited by goDel

Regarding trilogies, I thought of confield-untilted as a trilogy, but it feels more like a gradient of evolution. I think quaristice and oversteps brought in more stereo and more reverb, warmer sounds, but confield shared some aesthetics with shit like ep7, and untilted is the most 'clinical' sounding to me, but also has some of that top notch production same as oversteps, in terms of sound throughout the album and mixing. Exai, along with the spl9 preview made me think of a mix of quaristice and overstep's reverb and warm sounds, with untilted's clinical fast beats, and when they even bring in a lot more variation in the tracks, that could be yet another evolution, since previous stuff was a little repetitive, even though it changed all through. im totally stoked for this shit, bring it on

(because as far as i know i've never heard the using an actual 303).

there is a real 303 on Windwind.

Does it really matter if it's a real 303 or not? Many synths can create pretty much perfect emulation, no matter how cool it would be to have a real one.

I understand I've become a complete airhead by now? To quote the air signifying my nothingness...

;-j

i wrote an in depth response to what you said, saw it on the screen after hitting 'post' then went to edit it and apparently it all got erased, sorry

Does it really matter if it's a real 303 or not? Many synths can create pretty much perfect emulation, no matter how cool it would be to have a real one.

I was just pointing out that they have used a 303 in a track before.

calm down.

it probably only matters to me because i much prefer to hear acid synth lines on things that aren't a 303.

I was just pointing out that they have used a 303 in a track before.

calm down.

photo-2241.jpg

Edited by vproc

Guest pixelives
Regarding trilogies, I thought of confield-untilted as a trilogy, but it feels more like a gradient of evolution. I think quaristice and oversteps brought in more stereo and more reverb, warmer sounds, but confield shared some aesthetics with shit like ep7, and untilted is the most 'clinical' sounding to me, but also has some of that top notch production same as oversteps, in terms of sound throughout the album and mixing. Exai, along with the spl9 preview made me think of a mix of quaristice and overstep's reverb and warm sounds, with untilted's clinical fast beats, and when they even bring in a lot more variation in the tracks, that could be yet another evolution, since previous stuff was a little repetitive, even though it changed all through. im totally stoked for this shit, bring it on

This is pretty spot on. Exai has thing going on where there are definitive "changes" in tracks. like, "oh here's the B part/C part," so less slow evolution and more, "boom shut that door! new room!"