IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

There is some Untilted type beat stuff. But it's less dry, harsh and vacuum-like. Lush?

Damn! Along with non-4/4, I'm craving dryness. Less reverb than Oversteps? Please, pixelives!

the track we've heard, spl9, is kinda aggressive & dark (for lack of better words) compared to MoT/step over, the synth stuff towards the end sounds like a pretty crazy light saber battle imho lol, is it a good example for the overall vibe of the album (if there is such thing / if it's recognizable after only a few listens)? is there more mental material on there?

My understanding of pre-release promos is that they are meant to elicit pre-release impressions of the recording, thus promoting it.

of course, my only confusion is that promo copies usually cause tracks to surface on various radio programs. The fail me one is literally the only one so far, which seems odd. Did they break some kind of embargo that was specified on the promotional materials? There was talk of either Warp or AE getting upset at the Wire for playing 2 songs from Quaristice right after promos were sent out.

It's definitely weird. I would think that if Warp has an embargo until a set date, it would be for both broadcast and text review. Without audio samples a text review is pretty shitty marketing 2 months out from official release.

The release timetable is so protracted, given the realities of the internet, that I'm not sure logic has any part in this, mind you.

If you want to get kind of conspiratorial about it, though, the long build up, the faeks, the hundred page fanfolk frenzies, this... were this at all intentional (and I don't think Warp's that savvy), it would be damn good Jobsian marketing.

Edited by baph

One day, someone will reach out, and in my inbox will be a new album soley because I'm a good person and I deserve to be in company of other special people. Pixelives, you've made it clear you don't want to share (did you ever ask your source if it actually mattered?), but I hope you pay it forward somehow to someone in the future and do something nice and unexpected for a person.

Guest pixelives

There's a lot of reverb, but it's employed in a different way than Oversteps. Lots of modulation and dynamics. Sidechaning, tied to specific events, etc. So it seems tighter and less overall softness

It's rash for me to make a decision on purchasing music without proper reviews, samples, etc. but...

There's bits of Untilted in some of the beat fuckery, Oversteps lushness in pads, hints of 90's color and timbre. But done in a way that seems contemporary with production techniques of the more recent work. Big beautiful reverbs, etc.. Some very interesting twists and turns in some of the tracks so it is very far removed from the Quar linear jam type thing.

Standouts will take a while I think. I mean it's two hours of music. Fuck. It was a bit easier to nail that down with the last LP, this is a different beast.

Some of these tracks have things in them that seem like tracks within tracks to the point where I'm checking my itunes to see if it is actually a different song. Usually it isn't.

There is some Untilted type beat stuff. But it's less dry, harsh and vacuum-like. Lush?

...but holy damn. This is exactly what I like to hear. Especially for a description written for other fans, not like a press review that takes half the time just describing Autechre in general. Sounds to me like this one has bypassed all the problems I had from Q and O that had prevented them from getting regular plays in my stereo. Righteous. Fuckin pre-ordered.

Guest pixelives

It matters because he is one of my best mates and he takes his job very seriously and is very good at it.

He entrusted me to not let it out, because once it is, who is to say how this would effect future sales? (I'm thinking outside of this little bubble of watmm since most of you WILL buy it or already have preordered).

The main thing here is trust.

Yeah. Seriously, no more leak requests or talk, it can cost people their jobs.

I'm about to start replacing leak posts with my new calling card, which is as follows:

3DL45.gif

Your impressions are very welcome, by the way, pixelives. I still doubt your saxophone comment, but other than that, serious thanks. You've done a great service. Tell anyone who asks for a leak to kindly fuck off. It's ok to tell them to fuck off if you say "kindly fuck off."

Edited by baph

All day long I've just been growling "bbbbbbblllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo-ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!"

Edited by Obel

There's a lot of reverb, but it's employed in a different way than Oversteps. Lots of modulation and dynamics. Sidechaning, tied to specific events, etc. So it seems tighter and less overall softness

Mmm… cheers, pixelives, this is mostly music to my ears. Incidentally, I do like the way reverb is used on the "snare" in 'Treale'. Steady hits with more interesting rhythm created by the application of reverb. Or is that decay? #notanexpert

Your impressions are very welcome, by the way, pixelives. I still doubt your saxophone comment, but other than that, serious thanks. You've done a great service. Tell anyone who asks for a leak to kindly fuck off. It's ok to tell them to fuck off if you say "kindly fuck off."

Or, 'Would you mind fucking off, please?' And remembering to say 'thank you'.

Cmon everybody give us your best "blaaaadelooooooooressssssssss!"

(mine is attached)

Haha! This I couldn't resist downloading. Saved in "~/Music/WATMM/encey/".