IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

''We have just folded space from Ix...Many machines on Ix. New machines." "Oh. Yes." "But not better than those on BlaaaadeLoooores.''

tumblr_lcbgtr4GoI1qa6vxno1_500.jpg

Edited by xox

Guest pixelives
I'm curious about cloudline, any details pixelives?

cloudline has a bit of a Chastic/LP 5 vibe going on. It's like bladelores scary older cousin. It's slow and also has a bit of a Quar vibe too, but more dynamic. Then this intermittent decending bass thing with a pingpong stereo slap delay that recalls a bass sound from Depeche Mode to me.

Also: formant/vocoded/robot doing a robo scat.

Guest pixelives

there's definitely tracks with lots of ambiance, but no tracks w/o beats. the beats may be intermittent and not throughout but there are no strictly ambient tracks.

Guest pixelives
pixelives is there anything ambient-ish?

also are there any sounds like at 6:15 in under boac. Any sounds like :35 in qplay ??

Under BOAC in only 6:17 long right?, just checked and it's just silence at 6:15.

I'd say that dreamy Nord/Juno-ish sound at the beginning of qplay is a common type of sound for melody on a lot of Ae, so yes things like that///

Guest the anonymous forumite

Only 32 hours left before I chop my righ hand off. This better be leaking soon.

Edited by the anonymous forumite

I still think this thread should be locked. or maybe make it so that only pixelives can post in here, since he's the only one who actually contributes with something interesting.

agreed, but you're first to stop posting, k?

Guest pixelives

If I had the time (which I don't at the moment) I'd write up a review. Maybe later this coming week, though. At this point I'm moving past initial impressions and will need a few more listens to go deeper with it. Right now I can answer specific questions. I can also just leave it alone if it's bothering people. I understand that it might be ruining the discovery process for when you do hear it.

If I had the time (which I don't at the moment) I'd write up a review. Maybe later this coming week, though. At this point I'm moving past initial impressions and will need a few more listens to go deeper with it. Right now I can answer specific questions. I can also just leave it alone if it's bothering people. I understand that it might be ruining the discovery process for when you do hear it.

Wasn't talking about you. Your posts are awesome. Please continue.

"Exai has thing going on where there are definitive "changes" in tracks. like, "oh here's the B part/C part," so less slow evolution and more, "boom shut that door! new room!"

So kinda like the new Burial and Clark? I like the sound of this.

Kinda like Skrillex, burial is boring slow "evolution".

I personally really appreciate your little reviews. I would rather read something like this than listen to a leak. I know for a fact that there is no way it will sound anything like your descriptions do in my head, that always happens with reviews :P (I have a very odd imagination) but knowing specific things like "no beatless tracks" or "songs broken into distinct sections", it's good to know that stuff so I have SOME idea of what I'm in for.

Guest pixelives

There are some tracks with catchy, even upbeat melodies, but a good portion are counterbalanced by weirdness or crazy beats or taken over by ominous ambiences..

Synths are not necessarily pushed into the way background like on the early 2000's stuff.. So that's why it feels like a cross between Oversteps and some of that earlier stuff..

Guest pixelives

There is a track with a Legeti-esque male choir sample (could be Yamaha FS1R, though), and it's awesome... It's more soulful(?) and less scary than D-Sho.

Besides the robotic scat singing previously alluded to, what if any kind of fucked up vocal bits are there without spoiling them too much?