Saw "56 Up" the other night.

8/10

I think I liked all of the other ones better.

It's nice to "catch up with" these folks and see how they are doing. Only problem is, the film now has so much ground to cover with exposition of each subject's history, that by the time you've caught up, you're moving on to the next. It gets a bit formulaic feeling. Almost clinical.

Also, I'm kind of sick of Michael Apted throwing in these little digs here and there about certain aspects of the individual subjects' personal situations.

I guess it's to be expected, but I wish he'd just leave out his voice altogether...

especially when he accuses the jockey fella of being a racist. I mean come on! His words and his actions speak for themselves. We can tell he is prejudiced because he talks about how his old neighborhood has changed and that his work is harder because of this large influx of immigrants. Apted doesn't need to pick a fight or put him on the spot to further degrade his character. It's just offensive.

It's also a little offensive how he continually insinuates that the subjects are "failures" or that their lives haven't worked out or that they gave up on their dreams. I guess some form of questioning in that area is par for the course, but he just comes off as an insensitive cunt.

I'd like to slap his nuts every time he says something insulting or degrading. Just fucking leave it out. Leave the story to the statements and the footage of the subjects, with the occasional narration.

ughh seriously that music and those people and just the vibe of it all... I need a long bath now. that was just filthy bad

Edited by isaki

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

I will give credit to Mendes for making Daniel Craig a star, Ivividly remember Craig's acting in Road to Perdition, think it was the best acting I've seen from him.

Have you seen 'Our Friends in the North'?

Easy A

i'm not 100% sure on how american high schools work but this was even more like a crazy surreal science fiction film than all the other high school comedies

Guest Mirezzi

nope, just checked it out on wikipedia. So Craig plays a bum? :-)

Eventually...

our-friends-in-the-north-006.jpg

_58844833_009471152-1.jpg

Holy shit, what a cast.

Is the series any good?

Guest Mirezzi

If you liked Playtime, you will very likely enjoy Mon Oncle and the rest of the Monsieur Hulot films.

I wanted to like The Trial but despite my love for the weirdo Perkins and the artwork, I was bored shitless. I may be a bad person.

I wanted to like The Trial but despite my love for the weirdo Perkins and the artwork, I was bored shitless. I may be a bad person.

first of all i wanted to understand it... first interrogation scene on his house is genius!!! it's a shame i couldn't keep much track of what happened next... but it's visually stunning!

the fly - who would have guessed how cool jeff goldblum acting skills were in the past... movie starts pretty solid but gets a bit silly along the way... 7/10

naked lunch - not much words can be used to describe the amazoness of this movie 9/10

wake in fright - someone recommended this as an alternative to american movies of the same genre, i liked it, although is just as silly as the rest of'em...

1984 - yeah boring as hell, could have been a fantastic sci-fi movie but it didn't do much for me, maybe i didn't understood it totally... 6,9/10

the idiots - my first experience with dogme 95, no i don't like this kind of cinema... it's not even film in my book, it's a story, that someone recorded with a camcorder, someone who wasn't even a cameramen lol

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest Ron Manager

nope, just checked it out on wikipedia. So Craig plays a bum? :-)

Eventually...

our-friends-in-the-north-006.jpg

_58844833_009471152-1.jpg

Holy shit, what a cast.

Is the series any good?

Definitely one of the best TV serials I've ever seen. It's excellent. A must now that the BBC has finally released it on DVD - it wasn't available for years!

Guest Mirezzi

the fly - who would have guessed how cool jeff goldblum acting skills were in the past... movie starts pretty solid but gets a bit silly along the way... 7/10

Come on, that's better than a 7!

1984 - yeah boring as hell, could have been a fantastic sci-fi movie but it didn't do much for me, maybe i didn't understood it totally... 6,9/10

Yep, really pitifully boring.

the idiots - my first experience with dogme 95, no i don't like this kind of cinema... it's not even film in my book, it's a story, that someone recorded with a camcorder, someone who wasn't even a cameramen lol

Have you not seen Festen?

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Holy shit, what a cast.

Is the series any good?

Brilliant IMHO. One of the best BBC efforts I've ever watched.

Have you not seen Festen?

the idiots - my first experience with dogme 95

:emotawesomepm9:

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON