IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

yeah it's definitely not a sign to give up producing remixes and sample based music as some people have indicated. i respect that people are considering taking a more original and homemade approach to things, and that's great, but i don't think it's the right way to react to this problem. so it's good to see even don hikaru can agree on this, definitely an interesting and probably accurate take on what will happen too.

Agreed, well said!

I think the problem is vaporwave trying to go down the 'normal' music direction. Doing runs of 100 tapes sold at way more than cost is a long way from artists uploading zips of anonymous mp3s. It's no surprise HKE is taking down the sample-based stuff from DC, as their latest releases are being made in runs of 500-1000 and distributed by Bleep. It's a completely different area of music distribution and thus has different rules.

Yeah im kinda with you on that. The classic mysterious & provocative vaporwave vibes are hard to come across now that all of these labels and fans are taking it in a more straightforward direction and a music marketplace has been established. I don't think it harms the spirit, but it just makes it not as "insider" or obscure as it once was. I still have a hard time with mentally filing ambient/drone/idm/dream pop/chill out as vaporwave, feels like it waters it down a bit. But on the other hand if the community & genre is inspiring all kinds of offshoots and even just new takes on unrelated pre-existing subgenres, then im all about it, and hey maybe that aspect of it will eventually turn out to have been just as or even more important and powerful than Eccojams & Floral Shoppe. This genre just feels like such a personalized experience for me, like I can listen to the Hologram Plaza cassette every day, and its so goddamn vapor for me, it doesnt even have to be labeled such. Good authentic vaporwave never gets old.

Edited by Lane Visitor

new donavan hikiru incld'd on dubby vape comp:

https://aetherselect.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-island-music

tumblr_mpwlcdhZDU1s2fo85o1_500.gif

melb cassette manufactcharrahz:

http://www.dexaudio.com.au/cassette.html

Thanks man, yeah this comp is dope! Kel from Adhesive Sounds' new label focused on Island - based vapor & related.. Really great packaging & concepts too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to show you guys the next Donovan CRS works (not 3.0 split coming soon with CatCorp (oh shit, wasn't supposed to leak that), but CRS 4.0 (and maybe 3.9).. Still have BTB Deluxe cassette coming May 23, so after that, is CRS 3, then finally the 3.9 / 4.0 adventure. It's basically all vinyl-sounding Bristol-style trip hop and lo-fi street hip hop instrumentals in a vapory / noir trip. I'm gonna totally re-brand (at least for the series - 3.9+). I think it can transcend the vapor thing into something in the Warp / XL Records vein - if that doesn't sound too pretentious- , while still being able to fit under the vapor arena, but ill probably make it contain no "vaporwave" tags. It's all really simple and minimal, but I'm trying hard at the moment to take aspects of it from kinda half bedroom/half legit-sounding lo fi to all out legit, vibey / analog / authentic... Succeeding so far, but it's going to take some time to tweak and simmer a bit, so I can't rush it even though I want to drop the "single" so badly haha :emotawesomepm9::sleep::music: .. i could also be in my own ridiculous world, and it could be just me and only me that's in love with it haha

Edited by Lane Visitor

^ Music video for the yet to be released track: Donovan Hikaru - Double Donovan (nano神社 (✪㉨✪ Remix)

From upcoming Business Travel Bonanza Deluxe Edition Cassette/Digital via Adhesive Sounds coming soon.

That new album idea sounds brilliant - really looking forward to hearing how it all comes together.

My next album was due out on Dream Catalogue which was really fucking exciting - sadly they've recently had to pull all their sample-based stuff because of legal issues. My one was mostly made along the lines of Nmesh's side of that telepath split, from old new age stuff, but there are a few more obvious samples in there - Tangerine Dream, most notably - that basically mean it's had to be removed from the release schedule. It should be out on Bedlam Digital instead now.

^ Music video for the yet to be released track: Donovan Hikaru - Double Donovan (nano神社 (✪㉨✪ Remix)

From upcoming Business Travel Bonanza Deluxe Edition Cassette/Digital via Adhesive Sounds coming soon.

this is a pretty sweet tune

goddamn this is hitting the spot

reminds me of when i was a kid living in okinawa, looking out the window as we drove home for being off-base

awesome stuff lane! and that's both great / sad to hear about the DC release, ross. i can defs see your stuff on that label, it's a shame they're getting trolled, or david is getting paranoid, or both. it's understandable, but frustrating.

Nothing's been made public but he's definitely had reason for taking stuff down. Not surprising given how big the label is getting.

That new album idea sounds brilliant - really looking forward to hearing how it all comes together.

My next album was due out on Dream Catalogue which was really fucking exciting - sadly they've recently had to pull all their sample-based stuff because of legal issues. My one was mostly made along the lines of Nmesh's side of that telepath split, from old new age stuff, but there are a few more obvious samples in there - Tangerine Dream, most notably - that basically mean it's had to be removed from the release schedule. It should be out on Bedlam Digital instead now.

awesome stuff lane! and that's both great / sad to hear about the DC release, ross. i can defs see your stuff on that label, it's a shame they're getting trolled, or david is getting paranoid, or both. it's understandable, but frustrating.

this is a pretty sweet tune

goddamn this is hitting the spot

reminds me of when i was a kid living in okinawa, looking out the window as we drove home for being off-base

Wow, thanks everyone.. I was giddy over it myself, so happy to finally share it. :)

Damn, yeah sorry to hear man. You must have been hyped to release on DC (lol it always feels like I'm talking about an epic DC Comics superhero production. It's funny, that acronym is very fitting, as Dream Catalogue is sort of the pulpy dark Superman/Batman of the vapor world. Bedlam Tapes should take care of you though, Oscob is a cool dude. :) Best of luck with the release, and excited for it come to come out!

And thanks, I will definitely keep you guys posted on the future CRS material. I'd ideally love to get ver 4 pressed on vinyl as it already kinda has that tone. Man, if only I was stacked with cash.

Oh shit man, The WebTravel Channel aka deathofatelepath is incredible. Great conceptual muzak-ish material, and tons of it. I've been really excited as of late about SudSwap Audio Brewing label that I just discovered, who WebTravel has a release on.. Very interesting out the box stuff. Some of it glitchy IDM inspired vapor like JRPG Town by Lifebuilder or the UHALL album - should appeal to even the wider wattm crowd.

https://sudswapaudiobrewing.bandcamp.com

ooh dayumm... I'm ready for this! Hot sounds right there... I love the quirkiness and slight eeriness of that first one. Great visuals too.

just gonna place this right here...

more effective than like 75% of the run of the mill vaporware I hear/seek out:

Probably cuz it's completely intentionally vapid rather than ironically vapid, or post- post- or whatever:

i just want to lay in a cold clinical yet comfortable lobby/waiting room for 4 hours straight while this plays through shitty speakers attached to the ceiling:

Although I'm not typically into 70s library music, this stuff is just so dead on elevator, it hits the vibe so well.

Edited by Lane Visitor

I'm very excited about this, really have been trying hard not to post it before it came out, and here it is:

Posted from my Facebook post:

So guys, here it is.. This is crazy. Jazz Trumpeter Mac Gollehon (Bowie, Duran Duran, Blondie, Chic, etc) and his label got a hold of me, wanting an official remix for his new album... IN THE STYLE OF VAPORWAVE. So I took him on. No compromising... I gave him a classic vape meets latin late night lo-fi with dark muzak touches. All original production. Accepted. Album released today via True Groove Records out of NYC. The guy who played JAZZ trumpet all over the 80s / new wave super-hits that vaporwave is inspired by just went full-on vapor with the help of Donovan Hikaru's David Ben Jack alias. For anyone that said vapor is dead or dying is having the last laugh. Real shit y'all. Hope you enjoy! And would love to hear your thoughts!

Edited by Lane Visitor