IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

That would be quite awesome ! Vaporwave in general is in my opinion something that could be greatly completed with vocals, can't wait to hear your work :)

Edited by StocKo

That would be quite awesome ! Vaporwave in general is in my opinion something that could be greatly completed with vocals, can't wait to hear your work :)

For sure, it should be an interesting experiment... Thanks Stocko, i will definitely post the results (:

good track, lane. can i ask who did what with it? cus i know cat corp usually remixes other tracks but you always make your own sounds.

he's kind of the vaporwave musician's musician, in a sense. like he's very consistent and has a solid catalogue (at least from what i've heard). most importantly he knows when a track should end and when to move on to the next idea! this is what separates him from amateurs and i guess is why he is generally quite adored by the community.

Thanks Meshy! For sure, so that track is from the upcoming CRS 3 which is a split between CatCorp and I, but that track I posted here is all me. You'll see how the album is structured when its released, but in a sense, its two EPs-one from me and from him, together in one... we've been showing each other sketch ideas and trading thoughts and concepts that relate to the theme and narrowing in on a particular mood and atmosphere for the tracks we created. So the whole LP is centered around The Game and Consumer Recreation Services, as my CRS 2.0 was, but this time its our own specific little tributes. Side A is all Donovan solo tracks, and Side B js all CatCorp solo tracks (though i helped with a vocal tag in the intro and created a last track to fill in time, and close the theme). CatCorp's side is actually quite creepy and mysterious and very filmscore-esque. I love it. Mine side, I think, is somewhere between Corporate Mixtape and CRS 2.0, style wise, but there is a new kind of jazzy downtempo hip hop element with noir vibes that run through it which sort of tells the story of the movie through the lens of these feelings that character Nicholas Van Orton might be repressing--at least until the end of the film. These mood pieces, I feel, are further enhanced by juxtaposition of both sides, and gives context to and strengthens CatCorp's dark brooding Morricone-esque pieces. It's also interesting b/c this album has been simmering for quite a while. Several tracks even go as far back as a few years ago, so we're glad to close the era and get it out.

And yes, my tracks on the release are original midi-based composition/production. CatCorp's side is sample-based per his tradition.

Sorry for the pretentious essay on my own not even yet released work lolol

Edited by Lane Visitor

OK guys, I'm sharing with you my first proper vaporwave track (well, the first I'm being proud of). It's part of a project I'm working on and the main idea is to sample tunes I did years ago and add some production to turn it into something else.

I would love to have some feedback from you guys who have been actively listening and taking part to the genre because I'm really happy with what I did here but don't know if I should.

Thank you for your attention/listening, if it pleases you I'll try to post other tracks taken from that project :flower:

OK guys, I'm sharing with you my first proper vaporwave track (well, the first I'm being proud of). It's part of a project I'm working on and the main idea is to sample tunes I did years ago and add some production to turn it into something else.

I would love to have some feedback from you guys who have been actively listening and taking part to the genre because I'm really happy with what I did here but don't know if I should.

https://soundcloud.com/corporate-clegg/who-you-once-was-is-now-behind

Thank you for your attention/listening, if it pleases you I'll try to post other tracks taken from that project :flower:

Hey Stocko,

Wow cool, I didn't know Corporate Clegg was you :) I'm liking this, it makes me think of a drugged out INXS or something, very cool and unique vibe. That's impressive that your sampling your own work, would love to hear more of that in album or ep form.

Keep up the great work!

Hey Stocko,

Wow cool, I didn't know Corporate Clegg was you :) I'm liking this, it makes me think of a drugged out INXS or something, very cool and unique vibe. That's impressive that your sampling your own work, would love to hear more of that in album or ep form.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much for the kind words Lane, they mean a lot to me :) !!!

Well yeah I stumbled upon dozens of half-backed tracks I did from 2010 to 2013 - mostly loops and demos made in Buzz or tracks made with Garage Band (which are a very appropriate material to sample for Vaporwave imo).

I rediscovered those things during a harsh period where I nearly lost all of my self-confidence so my idea was to make sounds based on this material for nostalgic and motivational purposes. I'm thinking about releasing a whole LP presented as one of those "well being" books or methods - the name I've been thinking of for the album is "Self Motivational Sound Objects". It's quite challenging because I usually never put personal elements in my music but those tracks, in their structure and the samples they use only revolve around it.

So yeah, thanks again !!! I'll post more when it'll be a bit more fleshed out :)

Edited by StocKo

Hey Stocko,

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much for the kind words Lane, they mean a lot to me :) !!!

Well yeah I stumbled upon dozens of half-backed tracks I did from 2010 to 2013 - mostly loops and demos made in Buzz or tracks made with Garage Band (which are a very appropriate material to sample for Vaporwave imo).

I rediscovered those things during a harsh period where I nearly lost all of my self-confidence so my idea was to make sounds based on this material for nostalgic and motivational purposes. I'm thinking about releasing a whole LP presented as one of those "well being" books or methods - the name I've been thinking of for the album is "Self Motivational Sound Objects". It's quite challenging because I usually never put personal elements in my music but those tracks, in their structure and the samples they use only revolve around it.

So yeah, thanks again !!! I'll post more when it'll be a bit more fleshed out :)

Anytime, frother! looking forward to hearing it!

alright alright colleagues... Donovan Hikaru presents himself has created 20 limited hand-signed and numbered cd-r's with bonus material of his new all-originally composed mallsoft EP "Kiosk Vibes". The first self-released item with limited pressing (with the exception of CRS 2.1 secret tape)

https://donovanhikaru.bandcamp.com/album/kiosk-vibes

0008611827_10.jpg

Been listening to this guy for awhile now; always kept forgetting to share on here:

https://soundcloud.com/emil-rottmayer/fade

Wow, JR, this is phenomenal stuff, thanks for sharing. It's like an ideal fusion of everything i love in electronic music (ambient house, nu-disco, chillwave, baeleric chillout, outrun, and hints of vapor)... I will definitely be checkinh out more of Emil's releases. Cool to see you drop by this thread.

P.s. any specific vaporwave releases or artists that youre digging?

Edited by Lane Visitor

hey not pretentious at all lane, nothing wrong with a comprehensive response! i should have realised it was a split, i've made that sort of mistake a few times where i assume x person and y person working on an album means collab on the same tracks. sounds like an interesting concept for a vape release.

how do people feel the style has fared over the past year or so? what sort of new directions have we noticed? i haven't listened to much new stuff tbh still going through some stuff from last year.

euglossine has a new album coming out soon btw

https://www.facebook.com/Euglossine/posts/659732367522225

Right on man, and thank you-im definitely excited for you to hear it (: These CRS series are some of the most exciting projects for me musically. Many by now know my obsession with the movie The Game, but there's so much vaporwave-ness about that movie and particularly creepy generic fraudulent corporation Consumer Recreation Services. There's something there in that energy that's just relentless for me that I feel I can never stop exploring from various angles. Super stoked to also share the almost-complete slow roasting CRS 4 w everyone as well. Im sure im mentioned it before (It's all o.g. Bristol style trip hop and weird gritty street hip hop-tinged vapor), but I recently had the artwork finished, i collabed w a fantastic pro artist from france whose also a vapor producer, KoSHRIMP, to do the cover art and an exclusive cartoon for the release thats very noir and pulpy and relates to the thene--actually goes very obscure (the imagery and concept comes from my re-imagined interpretations of the early script of The Game, and particular scenes that never made the cut in the movie). I've also collabed with an eccentric voiceover artist who features on the album that im planning to do a mini documentary with thats associated with the release. Good times!

Hmm, it actually seems like the ambient stuff which was huge for a while had simmered down a bit, and Ive been noticing more classic style stuff like eccojams and mallsoft. I also notice there are more and more resources available for newcomers to discover and understand what it's all about and new tape labels like every week which is super exciting. All good things imo... What do u think?

Edited by Lane Visitor

I think the disappearance of DC from the active vaporwave scene has cooled the ambient thing down a lot. Not only is DC doing a lot of non-ambient stuff, but it's making absolutely no concessions to vaporwave whatsoever now. So I think there's been a bit of a return to more standard stuff because of that. 

I've been totally out of touch with most of what's been coming out though. I think Twitter killed it off for me a bit, there are so many people arguing about it all on there, and some of it's got to the stage of bullying (some people have released fake albums as Oscob, which is going way too far). wosx came out with a load of transphobic shit (which he quickly deleted) and it's all been mudslinging since. Kind of puts you off. So I'm taking a bit of time away from it all and then going to come back and just focus primarily on the music again. 

Been listening to this guy for awhile now; always kept forgetting to share on here:

https://soundcloud.com/emil-rottmayer/fade

Wow, JR, this is phenomenal stuff, thanks for sharing. It's like an ideal fusion of everything i love in electronic music (ambient house, nu-disco, chillwave, baeleric chillout, outrun, and hints of vapor)... I will definitely be checkinh out more of Emil's releases. Cool to see you drop by this thread.

P.s. any specific vaporwave releases or artists that youre digging?

Not sure if you'd consider it Vaporwave per se, but I've noticed a trend of artists attempting to recapture the "80's sound", making tracks my wife swears she heard back in the day :dadjoke:

Some examples:

Here's a good collective that the aforementioned artists follow, as well as NMESH: https://soundcloud.com/stratfordct

• 3 weeks later...

God this is gorgeous, both track and video.. video footage of kowloon is like a surreal dream, both terrifying and memorizing.  Cool video.

I've actually never seen footage of the place, just photos in Nat Geo back in the day.