IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

^ that last one is an example to me of how vaporwave can capture pure beauty and emotion in a single moment--by how what you said, kind of stretching out a euphoric passage into infinity and meditating on a repetitive version of it. .... Look at the how the emotion on her face changes--but in slo mo and with that music, you almost feel like you're there with her, or you're her. This is kind of a prime example for me of why vaporwave is just highlighting the beauty, absurdity, terror, sexyness, and drugged out bliss of audio from the dusty bins of a haunted past. It's just effective. And when you wrap a story around it, a concept, a full release, it's just that much more potent.   

lol, I used that same track for a Christmas vaporwave joke a couple years back

Hauntology is what got me into vaporwave in the first place and TBH I feel quite indifferent to a lot of vaporwave now because I don't have a personal interest or connection to a lot of it. In my definition of vaporwave - that hazy future past vibe of late 80s / early 90s music and media that was trashed and forgotten, artists like 1991 or Torn Hawk are FAR more vaporwave in tone and scope than many artists now but not "vaporwave" either in recognition or self-description.

It's a very diverse and broad genre/scene now and that's good (dream catalogue as a label, various interesting subgenres), bad (shitty memes, overshadowing and diminished value of original themes and aesthetics), and ugly (people literally labeling anything retro vaporwave without any proper and warranted backlash)

EDIT - I say this all as someone not involved in the scene at all, so i don't mean to shit on the state of vaporwave or even that thing posted earlier. "i get but i don't really like it" is kind of my stance, at it's harshest

Agreed, I was always really into the hauntology aspect of it as well. Before vaporwave was an established genre name I tried to put all the music that gave me that feeling into my second VJ mix Memorex, which I worked on throughout all of 2012. That kind of alternate reality, nostalgia is clouding your memory of the actual 80s feeling.

It might not "technically" be vaporwave but a lot of people were definitely feeling the same vibe in 2010-2011.

https://vimeo.com/55006097

Edited by six

when i said russian/soviet era vaporwave i meant something more like the actual definition of hauntology, the idea of the spectre of marxism existing in the present after the fall of the soviet union. there's probably some way to communicate that with old school russian music, a soviet visual aesthetic, etc. like if someone made vaporwave style music out of this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxvEPqhVVw

Hauntology is what got me into vaporwave in the first place and TBH I feel quite indifferent to a lot of vaporwave now because I don't have a personal interest or connection to a lot of it. In my definition of vaporwave - that hazy future past vibe of late 80s / early 90s music and media that was trashed and forgotten, artists like 1991 or Torn Hawk are FAR more vaporwave in tone and scope than many artists now but not "vaporwave" either in recognition or self-description.

It's a very diverse and broad genre/scene now and that's good (dream catalogue as a label, various interesting subgenres), bad (shitty memes, overshadowing and diminished value of original themes and aesthetics), and ugly (people literally labeling anything retro vaporwave without any proper and warranted backlash)

EDIT - I say this all as someone not involved in the scene at all, so i don't mean to shit on the state of vaporwave or even that thing posted earlier. "i get but i don't really like it" is kind of my stance, at it's harshest

Agreed, I was always really into the hauntology aspect of it as well. Before vaporwave was an established genre name I tried to put all the music that gave me that feeling into my second VJ mix Memorex, which I worked on throughout all of 2012. That kind of alternate reality, nostalgia is clouding your memory of the actual 80s feeling.

It might not "technically" be vaporwave but a lot of people were definitely feeling the same vibe in 2010-2011.

https://vimeo.com/55006097

That video mix is legendary, you were way ahead of the game. That tracklist is the kind of stuff I really dig in general - whether it's vaporwave or not it's the ethos in terms of production and vibe that I love. There's a sweet spot of producers that span different genres: chillwave, hypnagogic pop, beat scene - that forms a protovaporwave / early vaporwave sound that is still the most visceral and cathartic for me to listen to. Your videos really hit the nail on the head in that sense.

when i said russian/soviet era vaporwave i meant something more like the actual definition of hauntology, the idea of the spectre of marxism existing in the present after the fall of the soviet union. there's probably some way to communicate that with old school russian music, a soviet visual aesthetic, etc. like if someone made vaporwave style music out of this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxvEPqhVVw

Yeah see I'm such a layman I am not well versed in the actual definition but the musical writings of Reynold and Harper that took the idea and applied it to the "future past" idea in certain electronic music. I need to read up on it more.

It comes full circle for me personally because before I was into music I was really into military and aviation (specifically) history and technology and was absolutely fascinated by the cold war. There was a specter of it around me since my dad was in the USAF at that time, the early to late 90s, and we were often stationed at bases that were cold war garrisons and command centers that were literally at full alert less than 10 years before.

Donovan Hikaru & 猫 シ Corp.'s CRS 3.0 artwork revealed and release date announced!

Out Next Friday (3/17) at 12noon PST on digital and Limited Edition Sky Blue Cassette! 

[via Midnight Moon Tapes]

17191135_1186541671444912_73592302946801

Edited by Lane Visitor

Some random recent thoughts of mine, genre-related....

I wonder if you guys have a similar experience w this... So, it seems as time has gone on from the initial, let's call it the de-virginization period that occurred during the discovery of this genre... it's almost like I'm left perpetually chasing the high of that loss of metaphorical virginity when seeking our new releases or even listening to favorite releases of mine in general. Sometimes ill catch glimpses of that feeling and ill even be able to meditate on it and its like pure cyberpunk futurist bliss, but nothing compares 2 u, moment of floral shoppe / sunset corp vids / f500 releases era of yt/ bandcamp euphoria. But to know and realize "we were there" is often good enough :D

^ cool thoughts lane. there b just soooooo much vapors 2 out there 2 listen 2 ; sum artists b puttin' out 'albums' fortnightly lol so 'm still strugglin' w digesting the sheer amount of it all, + the same-same nature of most of it, + noone iKno IRL cares rly 4 it ha ha. concepts & aesthetic have sunk in 4me now, so its no longer a novelty there, hwvr - sumtiems still get a cranial & cochlear implant buzz wen hearing a new, 'original' take on the genre  eg. that trucking / c&w wave stuff posted a page or so bak - that is   f   h a w t  d a  a  a n n g ,   imo.  ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ 

tumblr_ob4497YlyH1tdhimpo1_500.gif

& yeh still ejnoy being surprised by the quality of said 'golden era' vapor; stuff like :

TOYOTAセリカ/TOYOTAセリカ

I wonder if you guys have a similar experience w this... So, it seems as time has gone on from the initial, let's call it the de-virginization period that occurred during the discovery of this genre... it's almost like I'm left perpetually chasing the high of that loss of metaphorical virginity when seeking our new releases or even listening to favorite releases of mine in general. Sometimes ill catch glimpses of that feeling and ill even be able to meditate on it and its like pure cyberpunk futurist bliss, but nothing compares 2 u, moment of floral shoppe / sunset corp vids / f500 releases era of yt/ bandcamp euphoria. But to know and realize "we were there" is often good enough :D

Yeah, the vaporwave high is over I think. There are occasional new things that come along that nearly reach it, but almost all musical styles are cases of diminishing returns. We're six years since the bulk of those classic albums, not many styles manage to keep up a regular stream of worthy records that long without morphing and changing dramatically. It's kind of why I've stopped looking for new stuff. I have a big 24 hour playlist of classics on my iTunes and it does the job nicely.

Yeah, the vaporwave high is over I think. There are occasional new things that come along that nearly reach it, but almost all musical styles are cases of diminishing returns. We're six years since the bulk of those classic albums, not many styles manage to keep up a regular stream of worthy records that long without morphing and changing dramatically. It's kind of why I've stopped looking for new stuff. I have a big 24 hour playlist of classics on my iTunes and it does the job nicely.

+1 Of course every new genre has its grand opening phase and every new fan of a certain thing has his/her honeymoon period with it so to speak, so its nothing unique to vaporwave i dont think and it doesnt mean its any less alive than it was--just different it seems.

But with all that said, one thing that still fascinates me is how a music genre/art movement born on the internet could be so potent and so captivating even without the element of irl connectedness or a live / visceral experience. It's quite an odd thing that this movement, which lacks a platform beyond 0s and 1s can have an effect like its the second coming or the presebt day punk rock at the very least. There's no doubt a collective consciousness that's bringing us together here, worshipping this awesomeness thats really just a bunch of dada / nonsense when it all boils down or at least from the surface. I think it's actually more wbout us and this community than this "sideshow" that is vaporwave (as the mainstream regards it). I mean we're the ones scavenging for or observing the stretched out audio euphoria of some passage from a 90s JoJo song, or the ones interpreting some wacky futuristic midi album like far side virtual as "an accelerationist masterpiece of eco-minded, tech-forward utopia and its absurd consequences on the human condition" (not an Adam Harper quote, but easily how I'd imagine him describe fsv). No one else really cares about some pitched down obscure italo instrumental from 1988 except us. We're the ones giving this stuff meaning and light. From the words of Underworld "you bring liiight in" :D

+1 Of course every new genre has its grand opening phase and every new fan of a certain thing has his/her honeymoon period with it so to speak, so its nothing unique to vaporwave i dont think and it doesnt mean its any less alive than it was--just different it seems.

But with all that said, one thing that still fascinates me is how a music genre/art movement born on the internet could be so potent and so captivating even without the element of irl connectedness or a live / visceral experience. It's quite an odd thing that this movement, which lacks a platform beyond 0s and 1s can have an effect like its the second coming or the presebt day punk rock at the very least. There's no doubt a collective consciousness that's bringing us together here, worshipping this awesomeness thats really just a bunch of dada / nonsense when it all boils down or at least from the surface. But maybe its something more spiritual and highly meaningful in fact, the nostalgia, the statements on consumer / pop culture, technology, our lives etc... I think it's actually more about us and this community than this "sideshow" that is vaporwave (as the mainstream regards it). I mean we're the ones scavenging for or observing the stretched out audio euphoria of some passage from a 90s JoJo song or Kate Bush refrain in order to get an instant sugar rush, or the ones interpreting some wacky futuristic midi album like far side virtual as "an accelerationist masterpiece of eco-minded, tech-forward utopia and its absurd consequences on the human condition" (not an Adam Harper quote, but easily how I'd imagine him describe fsv). No one else really cares about some pitched down obscure italo instrumental from 1988 except us. We're the ones giving this stuff meaning and light, and we've all constructed a community around this phenomenon. From the words of Underworld "you bring liiight in" :D whatever it is, maybe its brought us together for reason?

I mean if anyting, it's absolutely undoubtedly the second wave of cyberpunk. We're all techno-junkies trapped in virtual reality and we like it this way as self-destructing as it is. I mean in a world / era that's already beyond cyberpunk's predictions, everyone in the modern world right now is experiencing and living it--many of us are just self aware and have chosen vaporwave as a means to celebrate it, whether ironically or not. ... stops before ranting about AI / IoT / human nature blah blah blah

Edited by Lane Visitor

Just released a new 2 hour mix that falls under the vaporwave/ambient/IDM umbrella. If you like Oneohtrix's R Plus Seven, Nmesh, or Lifeforms era FSOL this should be up your alley.

Hyper-Reality (Part 1: Bismuth)

Remember - 私を愛して Love Me
Nmesh - Favorite Places
HKE - HK
Linkwood - Outside In
Blank Banshee - B:/ Shut Down Depression
Antwood - Lung
Mark Pritchard - Dawn Of The North
Konx-Om-Pax - Rainbow Bounce
Oneohtrix Point Never - Along
Antwood - Realization
Telepath テレパシー能力者 - 光る目
Nico Niquo - Ersatz Athene
Oneohtrix Point Never - Inside World
Oneohtrix Point Never - Americans
Nico Niquo - Maru Dai Dawn
Antwood - 65.222.202.53
VHS Logos - ノワール夜
Nmesh - たそがれの夢
2814 - 2814スカイライン
Nmesh - NΞΘN DRΞΛMS INFINITY

Hyper-Reality (Part 2: Yolk)

Nmesh - Arctic Cat®: Taking Charge!
Oneohtrix Point Never - Cryo
Oneohtrix Point Never - Still Life
Future Sound Of London - Ill Flower
Future Sound Of London - Spineless Jelly
Oneohtrix Point Never - Meet Your Creator
Kuedo - Love Theme
Ruf Dug - Treatment 17
Max D - Hummingbird
v1984 - Crying Beneath The Surface Of The Ocean As The Sunset's Rays Flicker Into The Indefinite Horizon
Nico Niquo - Perta Ine
Nico Niquo - Pandimension
Maxwell Sterling - Feeling Without Meaning
Remember - エレベーション Elevation
Edited by six

Here's an enjoyable, to me, crappy vaporwave I made in 2004 after listening to the BoC Old Tunes leaks, taking lots of psychedelics and becoming obsessed with slow motion. It's not really original as it's just Phil Collins - Another Day in Paradise slowed down with reverb and flange added. I made a couple from that same Phil Collins song. I started slowing down and adding effects to everything. Worked really well with a lot of psychedelic rock like Pink Floyd's Remember a Day. I had just made this stuff to have the fun of hearing songs played like that and showing some friends.

https://anvilstereo.bandcamp.com/track/paradise-2-747music-2004

The YouTube channel "Peel" has some awesome vaporwave gems on there. Like this one: