IGNORED

Anyone interested in a WATMM night in London? (Update: Meet on 20th June)

MadameChaos

Main problem with cafe Oto is it's a bugger to book (perhaps due to being named the coolest place in the universe or something by Italian Vogue) so would be hard to sort out proper DJ thingy there. Does anyone know the manager/owner?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

yeah cafe oto can be great, terre thaemlitz & holly herndon have played there, i think salvoj zizek had a book launch there too

Best thing I've seen there in the past year or so was Robert Ashley's "Perfect Lives" opera in a new Spanish version, "Vidas Perfectas" if I'm not mistaken. It was beautiful and Robert himself was there, being old and gay and cool. Really moving performance, low hipster quotient too, cause they probably hate opera and contemporary classical will never be cool.

Oto has more in common with IDM than any place in London I know (experimental, bordering on noisy, often with DIY instruments, often electronics, for instance this Sunday, mostly improvised/avant/new music, Kernel and other good beers).

But I'm more than curious about IDM-proven places in this beautiful town.

Let's hear about them!

I love Oto, despite being in the epicentre of hipster tourist wankdom it's a great venue with some brilliant performances that you'd never see anywhere else in the city.

Yeah the location has always put me off going there, but if you say that there's good stuff playing I'll definitely have to pay a visit. I always thought there must be a place in London that plays good experimental music.

This Sunday could be interesting: http://www.cafeoto.co.uk/sunk-season-the-innercity-asterism-tidal.shtm

Lets all put our money together and get afx to play. He appreciates his fans, right?

Maybe like 15 years ago when you could send invitations to his email for parties.

You should probably reach out to boards of canada and hear if they would like to promote their new album by doing a free gig.

i'd be up for going (re: event, rather than the meet-up subtopic in this thread) if it's not actually a 'WATMM night'.. everyone would have to pretend watmm doesn't exist. also, there will probably be loads of foot licking and conversations about wine store girls that joyrex won't want associated with watmm.

hi i'm tauboo

i propose a Watmm pub crawl, culminating in a club of some sort. Ill do score cards for the drinks and bonus idm points for other shit that we can do along the way. Teams of 3 to be drawn out of a hat when we meet at first pub. that should break the ice.

I've met one watmmer in person, only found out he was a watmmer by accident because he mentioned the video of the Chinese lady pouring tangerines on her pug in her bath tub.

PS: Am I the only one who reckons MadameChaos is the Zodiac Killer?

Obel definitely didn't call me a cunt when he first met me.

Pair of you's in it.

Id go for a london meet up. Cant make the 25th though, Im going to some sweet music festus.

I'd love to meet some of the guys on these forums. Especially limpyloo lol. Just for that great first 30 minutes when you realise actually this guys alright then you start talking shit about music gear for ages.

Archived