IGNORED

Fox News host crashes live on air

awepittance

as if "winning" in a fox news argument takes any actual intellectual or emotional effort.

I am just saying that I think he handled being interviewed by a Fox news anchor better than anyone I've ever seen.

I think he's a cool dude, that's all. i'm not gonna read his book. I don't really care about his studies.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

he comes out guns blazing. i've actually read a couple of his books, but whatever, it's a sidenote. i like that he's on the defensive immediately, because the host is a twat. her question is bounded up in a fallacy, that a muslim should have to answer for writing an academic work on jesus. can't believe people in this thread are so internet that they're actually arguing in favor of fox news. jesus wept.

I can't help but feeling sorry for that anchor. For starters, I believe she was given some narrative by the people she works for. Those quotes she got on her interviewing cards and, what was it, the question from some caller which was brought into the show. Those were completely outside of her control. Given the info which was given to her, and the culture shoe chooses to work in, she did an excellent job oddly enough.

The phd guy was a bit obnoxious talking about himself in third person for a bit (he was pretty obnoxious as well on bill mahers show last friday), but made a good point about there being a distinction between a professional scholar and just some pundit spewing opinions.

Again, I can't help but feeling sorry for the anchor.

I don't feel in the least bit sorry for her.

If she didn't know what she was getting herself into by becoming a Fox news anchor then.......really don't know how to finish this sentence wthout coming across as a complete cunt but you know what I'm getting at surely.

He got some dumb questions alright but I think it's piss poor style to continuously bring up your four degrees and fluency in biblical Greek and whatnot. He could have been a lot more concise if he wanted to. Just because you're talking to Fox doesn't mean it's okay to be a dick all of a sudden.

He got some dumb questions alright but I think it's piss poor style to continuously bring up your four degrees and fluency in biblical Greek and whatnot. He could have been a lot more concise if he wanted to. Just because you're talking to Fox doesn't mean it's okay to be a dick all of a sudden.

The thing is, he wasn't bragging. She was painting his as some random Muslim off the street who out of the blue wrote a book about Jesus. He was just trying to make it very clear that he is a professional scholar. If he didn't emphasize that fact, then many people would have gone away with the impression that he was just some randon Muslim dude out to ruin Christianity. That distinction was a crucial one, and deserved to be pointed out multiple times.

I don't feel in the least bit sorry for her.

If she didn't know what she was getting herself into by becoming a Fox news anchor then.......really don't know how to finish this sentence wthout coming across as a complete cunt but you know what I'm getting at surely.

Sure, you can think of her what you want. I'm merely pointing out that much of what happened there could have been outside of her control and that she was just doing her job. Or trying to.

I don't know her work, but she doesn't seem to be one of those pundits having to sell her own opinion on something. And I think it would be wise to look past that part of the facade of media. She's a paid talking head. Paid to read cards, teleprompters and have the occasional interview. Just put this in perspective for a bit. It's the producers putting this on the air who probably had some kind of narrative they were aiming for. If you want to criticise people, aim your arrows at those people.

edit.: I do hope that if she has options, she'll leave that job immediately.

People like you (you know who you are :P) are the reason that I used to be very careful in displaying my intelligence (not showing off, but y'know, saying stuff). I stopped giving a shit, but the man does it for a good reason, and I still don't see what's wrong with it, even if it's a little over the top sometimes. Why do you even care if somebody wants to stress that they're well-educated and knowledgeable in the matter of concern?

Guest RadarJammer

maybe if this dude was sitting at starbucks engaging someone in debate he wouldn't have needed to fall back on his education to make a point but he had set and setting going against him pretty hard being in a studio environment with people buzzing all around bright lights and people trying to poke his face with a makeup brush

most people who go into these fox news shows end up seeming on edge and not at their best by any stretch

The interview at the daily show at the 17th was pretty interesting though.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-july-17-2013-reza-aslan

Just when I was pretty certain that Christian dude was some entirely made up character by the iron age Tolkien, he made it sound like there was this person who must have meant something around that time.

The thing is, he wasn't bragging. She was painting his as some random Muslim off the street who out of the blue wrote a book about Jesus. He was just trying to make it very clear that he is a professional scholar. If he didn't emphasize that fact, then many people would have gone away with the impression that he was just some randon Muslim dude out to ruin Christianity. That distinction was a crucial one, and deserved to be pointed out multiple times.

People like you (you know who you are :P) are the reason that I used to be very careful in displaying my intelligence (not showing off, but y'know, saying stuff). I stopped giving a shit, but the man does it for a good reason, and I still don't see what's wrong with it, even if it's a little over the top sometimes. Why do you even care if somebody wants to stress that they're well-educated and knowledgeable in the matter of concern?

Because it borders on authoritative argumentation and adds nothing to the discussion (if we can call it that). There are better, more scholarly and more accepted ways to show that your work is founded than "I have a degree".

I take it this guy has heard similar questions or opinions too many times and is just fed up. He starts going over his CV as soon as he gets the chance to speak. I think he does a better job of getting to the point later on in the interview after he got his credentials out of the way [which I think was a waste of time, even if the reporter was unlikely to consider any answer satisfactory] and starts speaking in terms of the merits of his work rather than his own.

If a lion had the ability to think like a human would it still kill zebras?

Humanity is not the issue, nature is what makes us the way we are.

But dont fear, we are very close to shaking off all primitive thinking.

maybe

probably not

Because it borders on authoritative argumentation and adds nothing to the discussion (if we can call it that). There are better, more scholarly and more accepted ways to show that your work is founded than "I have a degree".

I take it this guy has heard similar questions or opinions too many times and is just fed up. He starts going over his CV as soon as he gets the chance to speak. I think he does a better job of getting to the point later on in the interview after he got his credentials out of the way [which I think was a waste of time, even if the reporter was unlikely to consider any answer satisfactory] and starts speaking in terms of the merits of his work rather than his own.

Re-watch the interview. Right out of the gate he was accused of essentially being just some random Muslim dude who decided to write a book about Jesus. He's like "no, actually this is what I do for a living. This is what I've devoted my life to studying in a professional capacity."

Re-watch the interview.

Nothing wrong with authoritative argumentation if all they do is question his authority. They're all saying the same shit, and he's basically saying "I know what I'm doing, and I've been over this several times, so just look it up yourself". I bet he's arguing much more thoroughly with his researcher peers.

I'm judging solely from the vid in the OP btw, haven't seen any other interview. Tnx for the daily show link, godel.

I'm judging solely from the vid in the OP btw, haven't seen any other interview. Tnx for the daily show link, godel.

The web exclusive is the most interesting part, btw.

Yeah exactly. The interview wasn't about the content of the book. It was about Fox News questioning whether or not he was qualified to write the book in the first place.

And he was simply asserting that he was.

Archived