IGNORED

iPhone iOS 7

J3FF3R00

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the new look is a damn sight better than the web 2.0 bubble-gradient nightmare that was ios 5/6

Yeah, skeuomorphic design had it's heyday, but I think it's time things moved on. Ironic - we now have the colours and resolution to render highly realistic textures and simulate real-world materials, but now the trend is heading back towards flat abstract colours and shapes.

I like the new ringtones and sounds - finally sound decent and not like they were copied from an AOL CD.

Skeuomorphic design already plagues nearly every other facet of society, nice to have an interface that is actually designed for the sake of itself:

4216_fake_shutter.jpg

175_P_1337974933507.jpg

5-10--wood1.jpg

The thing that bugs me the most is that a lot of the "classic" sounds sound different.

It's almost like they were re-recorded. Some of them have a "harsher" sound to me now.

You just need a diffuser innit. Too many nulls dawg

I like this better than I thought I would. Turned off the parallax effect because it seemed a bit much for my 4S to handle, and some of the white backgrounds are a bit searing. Otherwise, most things feel like actual improvement. It's really simple and obvious, but being able to create an "unread only" smart inbox is sort of fantastic. The biggest improvement is it's a lot harder for me to accidentally bring up an Emergency Call from the lock screen. :cerious:

Guest jasondonervan

Updated my iPad Mini (sold off my iPhone a few weeks ago, so I'm out of that game). I like it on the whole, but the brightness slider bugs me. It's great that you can now just pull it up from the bottom of the screen, but when you go into Control Center it dims the screen slightly - so when you amend the brightness level, it isn't reflective of the actual brightness once you close the Control Center... bit silly, non?

Guest bitroast

im pretty comfortable with my 4s running ios 6.1.3

wondering if anyone with 4s (or 4? .. to a lesser extent) can comment or post good reviews on how the upgrade is.

if it improves the phones performance (not really interested in the new features) or if it sort of brings the iphone out of its comfortable happy area it is atm and slugs it down?

HUGE issue.

When you hold down the camera shutter, it takes like 5 pics per second now.

Before, I would hold down the shutter and let go at the right moment for just about every pic I took.

Now, if I want to use the camera at all, I need to commit a fair amount if time to deleting forensic of multiple images in my photo album.

I really don't like that this iOS has new features like this that you can't turn off/on. It would be better if they simply gave you a choice.

:facepalm:

wondering if anyone with 4s (or 4? .. to a lesser extent) can comment or post good reviews on how the upgrade is.

if it improves the phones performance (not really interested in the new features) or if it sort of brings the iphone out of its comfortable happy area it is atm and slugs it down?

iOS7 on the 4s is pretty useable. Haven't noticed any performance hits (except a slight hit to battery life), and I did need to turn off the parallax effect on backgrounds (it was really choppy and distracting). I turned off background app updates to save a little battery.

That said, there doesn't seem to be a performance advantage, either. The UI has a lot of "pretty" animations that add a few milliseconds to app opening, etc. it's not severe, but it's not exactly "faster."

When ios4 came out, it rendered my 3G (basically iPhone 2) absolutely useless. Nothing like that here, thankfully.

The 4s still has pretty good components and can handle most of ios7. Arstechnica had a review up on ios7 and the older (single core, low memory) iPhone 4, and apparently the 4 doesn't do very well at all and probably shouldn't be updated.

HUGE issue.

Before, I would hold down the shutter and let go at the right moment for just about every pic I took.

Now, if I want to use the camera at all, I need to commit a fair amount if time to deleting forensic of multiple images in my photo album.

I really don't like that this iOS has new features like this that you can't turn off/on. It would be better if they simply gave you a choice.

Why did you hold down the shutter button though? I noticed while taking photos tonight that the button is even quicker to take photos than it was before. I don't see any point in holding the button down.

One thing I've noticed though is that the keyboard is either less responsive, or the keys are in a slightly different place. Mostly when I go to insert a punctuation symbol. I type pretty fast so sometimes it inserts an 'n' instead of an exclamation point, for example..

I have a 4, and the whole thing is running smooth as butter on a baby's ass. The new, slightly longer animations are annoying (lock screen fades in instead of being instant, app transitions are smoother and slower), but they're very pretty, and overall the UI looks very nice and modern. I don't get the nice frosted glass effects on the control center and notification center because I don't have a 4s, nor the parallax effect, which I would have disabled anyway. I hate how the weather appears in notification center now. Rather than an instantly informative picture, it's a small sentence saying 'partly cloudy with a high of 21 and a low of 13. chance of showers tonight.'

Overall it's slightly faster than 6.1.3 on my 4, and prettier to boot, so I'd go for it.

One thing I've noticed though is that the keyboard is either less responsive, or the keys are in a slightly different place. Mostly when I go to insert a punctuation symbol. I type pretty fast so sometimes it inserts an 'n' instead of an exclamation point, for example..

I actually prefer the key placement now, I mistype less.

I'm running it on the 4s and it's fine. I'm not totally blown away by it, but I'm definitely struck by the confusion caused by black-white vs. white-black interchanging that occurs while you're moving around in the UI.

I constantly look up and think, "Oh shit, I'm running out of battery."

Also worth noting that I'm losing battery faster with iOS7.

HUGE issue.

Why did you hold down the shutter button though? I noticed while taking photos tonight that the button is even quicker to take photos than it was before. I don't see any point in holding the button down.

Like I said, I hold it down and let go when I feel I have the right moment.

i prefer the new aesthetic over the previous versions, hate skewmorphism but ios 7 does a few issues, itunes is a mess to use, skipping through a track is a nightmare with the super thin line and all the button are to close. i think if they just reskinned the previous version it would of been perfect.

Archived