IGNORED

SAW2 33 1/3 book and countdown

cebec

Over at disquiet.com there's a SAW2 'countdown' going on until the official release of Marc Weidenbaum's 33 1/3 book.

Here's the original post:

http://disquiet.com/2012/08/31/saw2for33third/

and here's a link to the post on the first track in the countdown:

http://disquiet.com/2014/01/20/aphex-twin-saw2-countdown-track-25-matchsticks/

I'm not really getting it, a book about the album? (Holy shit, 20 years ... ) Will it contain like new interviews and/or some research or merely artsy fartsy analyzing of the tracks?

When I read the thread title and the word countdown, I thought Aphex had actually announced a release of additional SAW2-outtake-tracks titled "SAW2 33 1/3" ... :cerious:

I've not read one myself but I've always heard those 33 1/3 books were really quite dull. Like a person just describing what's going on in the album with little insight as to the marking-of segment of them.

I've not read one myself but I've always heard those 33 1/3 books were really quite dull. Like a person just describing what's going on in the album with little insight as to the marking-of segment of them.

I have only read Reign in Blood and Loveless, and I found those two to be pretty interesting and entertaining.

I like the 'Another Green World' one but it contained a lot of info I had already found in other books on Eno. The quality and content can vary and I was initially hesitant to purchase this but... can't resist. Believe it or not the Celine Dion one is supposed to be a highlight of the series and not for the reasons you think...

i would like the Another Green World one if it wasn't written by a good friend of none other than Dominique distended breast/lactation fetishist Twattone, but yeah i have faith Marc Weidenbaum's will be pretty great actually.

I'm pretty sure I could write my own book about the album. In fact I have. I've written many stories while listening to it. Did you know I'm a writer? Yes.

Writing to music is one thing, but writing about music is probably not worth the effort.

I remember that my earliest experience with Aphex Twin research online lead to an interview between him and Weidenbaum.

Kinda interesting, started that Weidenbaum asked him what he had done and Richard replied that he taped off the remix for Beck.

Good listen, even years after.

Not sure about the book- the introduction did not really kept me, but the chapters are interestingly named.

Guest Drahken

I read and own the one about the Beastie Boys - Pauls Botique and it was a fantastic book. If this one is anything like it I'll be quite pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

I read and own the one about the Beastie Boys - Pauls Botique and it was a fantastic book. If this one is anything like it I'll be quite pleased.

this one is quite good, i enjoyed the sample list ones

- trout mask replica is also good

and i really enjoyed the ABBA one although it seems like the author really just wants to write about how Chic are the greatest band in the world

i'd prefer something on the first SAW, which had a bigger impact upon me when released. i'd expect it'd be hard to write anything substantial and correct, supported, about anything richard has done - he's always seemed bloody-minded about stating any interest in anything but the music is fundamentally misguided, hence (for me) the misinformation and exaggerations in interviews.

just started reading.... hmmm not convinced yet--- this is probably because I have my own incredibly precise image of what this album is and what good ambient music should be... so far marc hasn't even come close. Will continue reading and report back later

i was intrigued by the synopsis on Amazon saying it talks a lot about the dawn of the internet age and how it opened up a whole new world for listeners of niche music. Sort of tying in SAWII as a seminal album at the inception of all that

Archived