IGNORED

Geinoh Yamashirogumi ‎- Akira OST

Adieu

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you need something to help you make up your mind check out the resell value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RARE-Akira-OST-Soundtrack-VINYL-LP-Geinoh-Yamashirogumi-/251508184244?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a8f0e54b4

The only reason I bought a copy is because I don't want to pay more later.

Granted, if they keep doing runs of this it won't be as valuable. This is like the third time they've done this I think.

fuck this shit. not buying.

learned my lesson with the Blade Runner 'limited' pressing.

What lesson was that exactly? You bought it for too much and they printed a bunch of them so it lost value? My personal feeling is that I just want this vinyl as reasonably priced as possible. I think the earlier runs were cheaper. Like 20 bucks or something.

done

cheers for the tip-off AdieuErsatzEnnui, good job my son

My pleasure.

fuck this shit. not buying.

learned my lesson with the Blade Runner 'limited' pressing.

What lesson was that exactly? You bought it for too much and they printed a bunch of them so it lost value? My personal feeling is that I just want this vinyl as reasonably priced as possible. I think the earlier runs were cheaper. Like 20 bucks or something.

done

cheers for the tip-off AdieuErsatzEnnui, good job my son

My pleasure.

it was marketed as a limited edition pressing, and sold at nearly £30 by all retailers. then after this initial numbered batch was sold, they pressed more - exactly the same (180 gram, virgin vinyl, red transclucent vinyl) but without a numbered sticker.

the fucking numbered sticker was what we paid for, in the end.

edit: found my posts about this last year

I'd like to say lol (about the sticker business), but I don't wish to upset you any further oscillik.

I think vinyl is becoming the new frontier of the record company rip-off, there are some nice ltd editions being made, but I think you have to be vigilant. Mass pressings selling at nearly 20 quid? You can get fucked mate (whoever you are)

I'd like to say lol (about the sticker business), but I don't wish to upset you any further oscillik.

I think vinyl is becoming the new frontier of the record company rip-off, there are some nice ltd editions being made, but I think you have to be vigilant. Mass pressings selling at nearly 20 quid? You can get fucked mate (whoever you are)

total agreement

My biggest vinyl rip-off was when Jack White's Third Man Records did some pop-up shop in London (Shoreditch 2009). I got there mid-day and they were selling double disc copies of Elephant for nearly 30 quid, I was under the impression these were one-off pressings just for the event, as they were so expensive (so I bought one). Got home and switched on discogs or amazon and found out they were just generic copies and were all over the net for about 14 pounds!!

So you paid for the sticker oscillik and I paid for the privilege of buying it at some hipster event. I've never forgiven that cunt Mister White for this (don't forget to chuck in the travel costs of 13 pounds). Almost 50 quid for a fucking record which I could of got for 15 including p&p. Flol.

pram prang pram prang pram prang pram pram prang bedum pram prang bedum prang kidang pram prang pram prang pram prang pram pram prang bedum pram prang bedum prang kidang

uh random thought but it's been a long time since i heard the four track version of the akira ost - the one that mixes in sfx and dialogue. Feel like I'd probably appreciate that version more now

uh random thought but it's been a long time since i heard the four track version of the akira ost - the one that mixes in sfx and dialogue. Feel like I'd probably appreciate that version more now

Man, I just found out about this particular version a couple weeks ago when researching the repress...I never knew there was an alternate soundtrack! Is it any good? The OG is one of my favorite aural experiences

I remember it having some interesting cues that weren't included in the regular version, and instances where the added sounds really brought everything together. The overall structure of the album is also entirely different - which has always been my stumbling block with the OG...you really have to be in the mood for half an hour of people reciting prayers in Japanese, with minimal musical accompaniment, if you're planning on spinning the whole thing

The animation quality in Akira is absolutely peerless: I am in awe every time I watch it.

Are cell-animated features of this level of quality still produced? All animation seems to be heavily computer generated now and it suffers for it in my opinion (and yes, I am aware that Akira featured some CGI as well, but it was very isolated).

Guest Roksen Creek

The animation quality in Akira is absolutely peerless: I am in awe every time I watch it.

Are cell-animated features of this level of quality still produced? All animation seems to be heavily computer generated now and it suffers for it in my opinion (and yes, I am aware that Akira featured some CGI as well, but it was very isolated).

Ghibli?

Also, can't stand the version with the dialogue, it's a cringefest and completely ruins the original compositions.

Ghibli?

Also, can't stand the version with the dialogue, it's a cringefest and completely ruins the original compositions.

Studio Ghibli are on another level. Princess Mononoke, The Cat Returns & Spirited Away will always be fond to me.

But Akira is the benchmark.

And the OST stands up as an album by itself imo. I don't think I'll ever forget listening to this whilst driving through the Dales, storm clouds gathered and this really fluffy snow began to fall and settle all around. Driving through that and watching it turn everything white whilst this was playing full blast was pretty magical.

http://youtu.be/5zbK1SXlVio

Ghibli?

Very true: Studio Ghibli are definitely keeping it real where quality cel animation is concerned (with a subtle and tasteful addition of CGI) and the storylines are second-to-none; Princess Mononoke is probably my favourite animated film.

But yeah, in terms of sheer aesthetics it really doesn't get much better than Akira. Disney's cel animation is fluid and skillful but they cannot approach the level of insane detail (eg. Tetsuo's transformation) in Akira. They even nailed the lip-sync, an oft overlooked detail in Japanese animation, due in part to them having recorded the dialogue before doing the animation which is rarely done in Japan.

Archived