IGNORED

Akira

Adieu

Anything that gets remade by Hollywood is almost a guaranteed fuck-up, especially a cult classic.

Might as well just leave Akira alone altogether.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I treat Akira as a very long music video with some badass music and visuals, in that sense it's pretty fucking good.

After reading the manga a few times, I cant watch the movie the same. Of course i can stil appreciate the art and the music. But now feels like it has so many holes and is so tiny compared to the books.

I treat Akira as a very long music video with some badass music and visuals, in that sense it's pretty fucking good.

Yeah totally. When it comes to movies, narrative is just a means to an end for me. It's all about the aesthetic experience.

Yeah totally. When it comes to movies, narrative is just a means to an end for me. It's all about the aesthetic experience.

I kinda feel this way about Blade Runner, which I also love.

After reading the manga a few times, I cant watch the movie the same. Of course i can stil appreciate the art and the music. But now feels like it has so many holes and is so tiny compared to the books.

It's been a while since I read the entire manga myself. I might sound like a hipster for saying the manga is superior to the movie, but the former goes into way more depth. Kei's aunt Chiyoko and even American troops who were in the manga were absent in the movie. Lady Miyako had a much greater role in the manga as well. Regardless, both the graphic novel and the movie are great - both authored and directed respectively by Otomo.

i never read the manga but considering the time the movie was made, the handdrawn animations, the colours, the music and story

i'm still pretty much blown away

Another great example

I think that's the way everyone who loves Blade Runner feels, considering there's not much in the way of plot or narrative in Blade Runner. I mean, the film's ending, narrative and meaning are completely different between many of the thousand available cuts of the movie

the soundtrack should have tracks from burger/inks-las vegas. i remember the first time i read akira listening to that album. magickal...

UYkjD5J.jpg

lolll

• 3 weeks later...

I'm completely distraught. This morning when I read your post I killed my wife and children and am sitting in a clock tower with a sniper rifle as we speak. I just don't know how to process this information

Ahahahahaha.

Archived