IGNORED

Akira

Adieu

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmm

i never get the point of making something like this into a "real life" film. to me kaneda, tetsuo and kei are animated. anything else cheapens the integrity built by the original. can't we just assume this story takes place in a universe where those characters look like that and cannot be translated anywhere else?

besides, look what happened when they tried this with fist of the north star

As amazing as the film is (probably the most impressive animation ever done), the manga tops that, and then some. If I remember correctly, actually when the film was done the manga hadn't been finished yet, so there's a lot more stuff there, also more political implications.

Actually, for a Japanese guy, and for such a well-known mangaka who always published in mainstream magazines, Otomo seems to be a reasonably progressive guy, at least in his art.

The soundtrack is also awesome. The mix of gamelan and digital D-50-ish sounds works so well, plus nobody does that kind of digital sound like that. It just boggles the mind how great it all is...

edit: why live action? what's the point?

yeah, what is the point. Some, correction a lot of, people can't connect with animated worlds and characters. It's not part of their imprinted visual language i suppose.

I should watch it again.

it looks pretty exact like the mangamovie though i have no clue who that chick is

what is retarded like hellfuck is that they don't even speak japanese

are they still doing the hollywood bastard version with neo new york and leo dicaprio as kaneda? lol

it's still "underway" according to the currently signed director.

but having said that, this live action adaptation has been on the cards for the best part of a decade

I head it fell through because they can't get the 250 mil they want to shoot it. But yeah, the script is available somewhere. They made tetsuo and kaneda brothers because apparently the bond of friendship is not meaningful enough to americans.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Fucking travesty. The only thing that would do the original justice would be for Tatsuyuki Tanaka and Katsuhiro Otomo to collaborate again... and do whatever the fuck they want.

Watching that fan trailer made me realize anyone else would fuck it up, maybe even the original crew. The CGI, the music, the stupid expressions on the actors' faces, it's all so cheesy and wrong. The original had its flaws but it did so much right - it's still one of the most cohesive, immersive full length films I've ever seen. Trying to, I guess, legitimize it with a stupid Westernized live action rendition is an insult.

I think there are elements of Looper that could be carried over in cgi and effect style as well as tone that might make a hollywood version agreeable. But really the only way to make it good would be to have someone with intense vision and amazing creative taste which is never going ot be something that happens with mainstream hollywood folks.

Casting details for the new film, about two telekinetic brothers in rival biker gangs, have yet to be revealed.

wtf??????????????????????????????

Archived