IGNORED

World Cup 2014

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It bothers me that people talk about "we" when talking about a sports team they cheer for.

Why? It's a well established social construct. Perfectly normal inclusive language.

Also the match was flattering to the Germans, but Muller is a machine.

To answer mirezzi: because Portugal have managed some decent results in recent international tourneys.

does it being well established make it less problematic?

the nationalism and boastfulness one sees in athletic competitions is quite worrying, also given the situation in many of the competing countries daring to say "we" is pretty disgusting

imo tbqh roflol

Let's keep the political bullshit and discussions on social construction of language out of this thread (guilty on this count myself).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Brazil played decently, Ochoa was outstanding, and Mexico played a really disciplined match. They didn't really offer much going forward, beyond peppering long-range shots at the Brazil goal - I think I only saw one in the second half that was on target? Still, as one of the commentators on CBC said - for a team that's supposed to win the tourney - Brazil need to offer a lot more.

Guest Mirezzi

Mexico played like The USA: badly, but with a great goalkeeper. Apparently it's a North American thing.

Disagree. Mexico played very well today. They deserved that point 100%.

yeah mexico dominated that game for the first 25 minutes of the second half - no chance in hell USMNT could manage that against brazil. I was really impressed with Mexico and proud to support CONCACAF teams.

Getting amped for spain chile tomorrow. the stakes are incredibly high for both teams

For a scoreless draw the BRA-MEX game was entertaining. Props to Ochoa and the Mexican team for playing such a disciplined game. Brazil did not look like championship caliber team and I expect trouble for them when they face a strong team.

Really? I thought Mexico didn't play very well, although they were playing Brazil. If their goalie hadn't been so on-it the score could have been much different. Mexico had 3 shots on goal and Bazil had 8, although Mexico had possession for more than I thought they did (47%).

Regardless, if USA doesn't get their act together for Portugal we're fucked.

Guest Roksen Creek

Jumping to conclusions:

Brazil isn't going to win this, it's going to be Germany.

I think it's going to be someone unexpected like Italy or France. Or maybe Spain will make a comeback.

The world cup winner is rarely someone obvious.

I think south america has fallen way behind europe in the last decade.

This post is the official kiss of death for europe, and it is now guaranteed that a SA team will win it.

Archived