IGNORED

EDM C2 / D4 / E1

calx

idk man, youre trying to say edm is a rip-off

A lot of it crosses the line from being an homage to a certain aphex era to being a copycat or directly replicating it. Directly replicating = ripoff, at least to me. If it wasn't a ripoff there wouldn't be so many people confused as to whether or not afx is involved in the earlier releases, A2/B2. Ripoff is too strong of a word. Fetishism maybe?

As a counterpoint, I find Trackermatte to be a homage but not cross that line.

Edit: I still haven't heard the CD or vinyl of this most recent release though. And I'm not saying I don't like the releases or that the guy isn't talented.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huh... i gave trackermatte a listen a while ago and had to stop because it all sounded like they were trying WAY too hard to sound like the tuss. edm doesn't give me that feeling

huh... i gave trackermatte a listen a while ago and had to stop because it all sounded like they were trying WAY too hard to sound like the tuss. edm doesn't give me that feeling

interesting...

I wonder if we are just characterizing what we deem to be aphex's "sound" to be, differently.

Ultimately, I really enjoy the EDM tracks, especially A2 so far. Can't wait to dig in to the vinyl and CD today.

A lot of JK tracks sound inspired. Although Aphex is clearly nog the only source of inspiration. Drexciya is an obvious other source (black narcissus..). A couple of tracks, especially on A2, sound so obviously Aphexian that I'm still wondering wether or not the gingerhead was somehow involved in production. But that doesn't hold for a lot of his other work, imo.

His work is too varied, I think. Some tracks are pure magic, others are barely able to keep my interest. To me, JK is a mixed bag. Often good, sometimes pure magic and sometimes painfully mediocre/boring.

Still haven't heard the vinyl, btw. There's no upload on "what". So there...

A lot of JK tracks sound inspired. Although Aphex is clearly nog the only source of inspiration. Drexciya is an obvious other source (black narcissus..). A couple of tracks, especially on A2, sound so obviously Aphexian that I'm still wondering wether or not the gingerhead was somehow involved in production. But that doesn't hold for a lot of his other work, imo.

Have you compared the first 10 seconds of MEN pt 2 and the Metz track?

Anyways yeah, what you said is what I feel in a nutshell.

Give trackermatte another go, I think that you'll find that it's not a tuss rip off sounding thing at all, once you get beyond immediate impressions brought about by the mind trying to relate one thing with a previously experienced another. Sure there are little drum ideas and melodic tricks that seem to come from the master and so forth but the music is so dense and tasty that you can't deny it the right to breath in your brain, at least for a moment or two.

i think putting it that way short changes jodey quite a bit. did jodey steal the idea of quality from aphex? noone else is able to have the sound be gorgeous? or the composition ace?

i wonder if what you guys are hearing is just the use of reamping or something like that.

There's a difference between being quality, sounding gorgeous, and having great composition, and being quality, sounding gorgeous, and having great composition while simultaneously trying to make your songs sound as much like aphex twin as possible.

I'm not drinking haterade or anything. I still like the music.

a lot of my favorite musicians sometimes sound like aphex. im glad as hell that they are making their music, its completely good, its not a hollow mimicry, the way the derisive term "rip-off" might be interpretted as meaning

a lot of my favorite musicians sometimes sound like aphex. im glad as hell that they are making their music, its completely good its not a hollow mimicry, the way the derisive term "rip-off" might be interpretted as meaning

note:

"Ripoff is too strong of a word. Fetishism maybe?"

Of course I'm happy they're making their music, but I sometimes think these artists immense skill would be better put to making something stylistically new rather than rehashing older eras, you know?

Aleksi Perala is a good example of this. I find his mental union series to sound pretty unique.

Guest mrgerbik

listened to EDM C2 a few times through... MUCH better that the first 2 IMO. and it doesn't sound like Aphex at all ;)

now off to get lost in Colundi 7 (which just arrived... woohoo!)

Guest tonfarben

Copycat discussion is annoying...let´s talk about the tracks! :biggrin:

I love the Mount Vernon OST! Favourites atm are Mount Vernon Theme and We Stand. So beautiful! My wife also likes it, which is good, she normaly doesn´t like electronic music.

The Cassette release is brilliant, too. No favs, all bangers, no fillers, boom! Also sounds Steinvordy in my ears sometimes.

The CD is hmmm... different. I don´t like the "your mom" tracks at all. Just personally I do not like the footwork genre or whatever that is. Other than that, really really nice. Special love for the eighties vibes of the TX81Z track. I assume he used only that Yamaha synth to produce it?

And finally we got Porch Road. PORCH! YESSSS!

The other ambient ones are also very very nice. Especially Prambanan. Sounds like FM Synthesis also. Love that.

One of the best releases this year. Jodey delivered again. :music:

Yay, got my set two days ago and have now listened to the CD and tape a couple of times. As for C2 I wasn’t really sure if I could like Your Mum tracks since the snippets brought Ultrademon to my mind which I’m not really into. They have some similarities sure but yet these are different enough and I was positively surprised. Hah, I’ve heard some parts of the J.K track several times but it hadn’t sprung to my mind that it is a Sister Ruth track. When I saw the title I could only then hear it having some similarities to the other two, especially to Sister Ruth II. Only track which I fully can’t get into is Big Bah; perhaps too goofy for my taste. The downtempo pieces are OK. G.W-C could be a Manhunt pt.2 and porch…well it’s a porch so there’s a recommendation enough. Most like the tracks from 3 to 5.

D4 is like Plus 10; braindance how I love it. Side J is great with having some old favorites from the Jidomatix account. I’ve always considered Tengemu + I a as a little brother of Shiz Ko E. Nice little Braindance tune. K side is a beast. Have praised Ivinghoe Beacon to death but it simply is so good. It’s like a tranquilized version of Coronet. Both have this constantly changing beat. I also love the bass line. The bell-like sound in the beginning is a cherry on the top. As for the other tracks GW is ace and I think I spotted some almost HAB-like drum parts on 8tandie. I’ve waited Dad’s Birthday song to be released since the day I heard it on Jodey’s bangface set (thought it was called Mikolops though). Some sweetest drill’n bass there is available and his Penryn Space Agency set promises more like this to come. For me D4 is on par with A2 which is one of the best releases I’ve heard making this one of the best pieces of music I own.

Had my own prejudiced thoughts towards the tape but fortunately D4 has a good sound quality. Yeah, would’ve loved this to be on CD but will cope with this since I found a new player to replace my broken one. Hopefully the sound quality won’t deteriorate as time goes by. Sadly the only way I can enjoy of E1 is the Youtube rips. Having now listened to it once it sure is something I haven’t heard before from Jodey. Snippets didn’t do me much but hearing the full tracks is a whole other thing. It’s an interesting and to some point even mesmerizing release. Have to say @AdieuErsatzEnnui: very good use of brains with the tracklist. That could be the case. If so, I really love the title of the last track :smile: .

Anyway, great way to end a special year. Really hoping the series will continue but please, not too obscure formats.

A1 –Jodey Kendrick Mount Vernon Theme A2 –Jodey Kendrick We don't know A3 –Jodey Kendrick Royal Free Dash/Panic A4 –Jodey Kendrick Sunshine Oramorph 10mg A5 –Jodey Kendrick Verdict/The Truth A6 –Jodey Kendrick Fight Or Flight B7 –Jodey Kendrick We Stand B8 –Jodey Kendrick Strength Of Mind B9 –Jodey Kendrick Magnetic Resonance Imaging B10 –Jodey Kendrick Flee Ward 10 B11 –Jodey Kendrick All's Well That Ends Well

It seems as if the song titles on this album are an autobiographical reference to Jody's wife's cancer fight. I don't know the significance of Mount Vernon, but the fact that it is titled OST is telling, or it's actually an OST for something, and I'm applying my own subjective viewpoint as a narrative. Interesting either way. There is some obvious significance. I'd like to think it's something they did together during the battle as a means of coping with the struggle.

You hit the nail on the head. The videos from the Mount Vernon OST Vimeo channel also confirm this. The artwork from Heidi's English Electric is also a reference, being a radio therapy mask with which she was bolted on the table for treatment.

It gave me goosebumps listening to it with that in mind, amazing work. My fave from the set so far!

Copycat discussion is annoying...let´s talk about the tracks! :biggrin:

I love the Mount Vernon OST! Favourites atm are Mount Vernon Theme and We Stand. So beautiful! My wife also likes it, which is good, she normaly doesn´t like electronic music.

The Cassette release is brilliant, too. No favs, all bangers, no fillers, boom! Also sounds Steinvordy in my ears sometimes.

The CD is hmmm... different. I don´t like the "your mom" tracks at all. Just personally I do not like the footwork genre or whatever that is. Other than that, really really nice. Special love for the eighties vibes of the TX81Z track. I assume he used only that Yamaha synth to produce it?

And finally we got Porch Road. PORCH! YESSSS!

The other ambient ones are also very very nice. Especially Prambanan. Sounds like FM Synthesis also. Love that.

One of the best releases this year. Jodey delivered again. :music:

lol

in the same post, you say the copycat discussion is annoying but you say the cassette sounds like steinvord?

derp de-derp

Stupid-Realtor-e1268599207560.jpg

A1 –Jodey Kendrick Mount Vernon Theme A2 –Jodey Kendrick We don't know A3 –Jodey Kendrick Royal Free Dash/Panic A4 –Jodey Kendrick Sunshine Oramorph 10mg A5 –Jodey Kendrick Verdict/The Truth A6 –Jodey Kendrick Fight Or Flight B7 –Jodey Kendrick We Stand B8 –Jodey Kendrick Strength Of Mind B9 –Jodey Kendrick Magnetic Resonance Imaging B10 –Jodey Kendrick Flee Ward 10 B11 –Jodey Kendrick All's Well That Ends Well

It seems as if the song titles on this album are an autobiographical reference to Jody's wife's cancer fight. I don't know the significance of Mount Vernon, but the fact that it is titled OST is telling, or it's actually an OST for something, and I'm applying my own subjective viewpoint as a narrative. Interesting either way. There is some obvious significance. I'd like to think it's something they did together during the battle as a means of coping with the struggle.

You hit the nail on the head. The videos from the Mount Vernon OST Vimeo channel also confirm this. The artwork from Heidi's English Electric is also a reference, being a radio therapy mask with which she was bolted on the table for treatment.

It gave me goosebumps listening to it with that in mind, amazing work. My fave from the set so far!

I listened to Mount Vernon when I saw this originally posted. It gave me a different approach to hearing it from start to end. It's a beautiful way to put an album together. And it's an amazing record too, I love the last track!

Herr Jan: It makes sense now! I thought it was for something like that but couldn't put my finger on it. Mount Vernon OST + the Heidi Lord release really do work together at telling a deeper story.

I've listened to the cassette again and I quite like it. I kind of wish it wasn't on the cassette medium though, I'm not finding the lower sound quality adds anything to it...

CD and vinyl = great

Archived