IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STAR.WARS.EPISODE.1-3.DESPECIALIZED.EDITION.720p.BRRiP.XViD.AC3-LEGi0N

(uploaded by user Drarbg on TPB)

Don't let the "Episode 1-3" part fool you, that's an intentional jab at the prequels.

About halfway through A New Hope and it's fucking glorious. Looks and sounds very much like a professional HD remaster on BluRay. Han shot first.

Now someone please do the same with THX-1138. Fucker ruined that one too.

I read a trilogy where Grand Admiral Thrawn was in charge of the remainder of the fleet, which naturally still posed a considerable threat. It's been a while since I read it though (~12 years). The Rebellion did acquire the power on Coruscant, which is probably what we'll see.

None of this exist anymore, it's never happened. There is no "New Republic" as far as we know, it never existed. I think they are working on a series of comics to bring eveverything "up to date" with the new movie. But they've swiped 30 years (in the SW chronology) of history.

i'm going go go out on a limb here and say watch New Hope again if you think Lucas 'ruined the franchise'. What i mean by this is clearly Lucas had a different vision of his own that he set out to create with a New Hope, it is a significantly different feeling movie than Empire or Return of the Jedi. I would almost describe parts of A New Hope as American Graffiti in space, it's campy as fuck in a lot of parts. Han Solo's lines are almost all comedy for the entire film. So if it weren't for Lucas' other collaborators, like the screenwriters and other people who directed Empire and Jedi we might not have been so shocked with the way the prequels turned out. In a lot of ways the prequels tonally make sense if you compare them directly to A New Hope, so Lucas's voice is clearly in those movies but the difference was when he made New Hope, THX1138 and American Graffiti he wasn't nearly a billionaire. Lucas should have given up the franchise to new talent to begin with just like Disney is doing now, because the most fond memories of star wars had partly George Lucas' voice under the direction and screenwriting of people far more talented than him. wild guess: Empire and Jedi would have turned out far cheesier (and less memorable) if Lucas dealt with them the same way he dealt with the prequels.

Well both of Abrams parents are producers, and his sister is a screenwriter so he was basically raised in the studio system. And his big break was Felicity. BARF

lol nice to know he worked his way up the studio system

i still give Abrams some props for Fringe, i think that's his greatest achievement .The Star Trek movies were decent but besides aspects of the visual effects and the tightness of the script the movies were pretty run of the mill

i'm going go go out on a limb here and say watch New Hope again if you think Lucas 'ruined the franchise'. What i mean by this is clearly Lucas had a different vision of his own that he set out to create with a New Hope, it is a significantly different feeling movie than Empire or Return of the Jedi. I would almost describe parts of A New Hope as American Graffiti in space, it's campy as fuck in a lot of parts. Han Solo's lines are almost all comedy for the entire film. So if it weren't for Lucas' other collaborators, like the screenwriters and other people who directed Empire and Jedi we might not have been so shocked with the way the prequels turned out. In a lot of ways the prequels tonally make sense if you compare them directly to A New Hope, so Lucas's voice is clearly in those movies but the difference was when he made New Hope, THX1138 and American Graffiti he wasn't nearly a billionaire. Lucas should have given up the franchise to new talent to begin with just like Disney is doing now, because the most fond memories of star wars had partly George Lucas' voice under the direction and screenwriting of people far more talented than him. wild guess: Empire and Jedi would have turned out far cheesier (and less memorable) if Lucas dealt with them the same way he dealt with the prequels.

are you trying to say it's bad? i can't follow what you're getting at here..

all star wars is campy (that's the point) but it's also shot in the 70s and early 80s so part of that is the timing. I think Jedi is the cheesiest and campiest (with jabba's shitty 80s lounge band, ewoks and the rebel planning sessions are cringeworthy) everything save the final battle with luke and the emperor I think is fairly pedestrian and signals a downfall of the franchise. I think this is partly because the emperor is a great character and is the best actor on the screen save a few harrison ford moments. He was also the best part of the prequels by a country mile.

Despite it's shortcomings, Jedi is respected for its technical achievements. I've heard it called the most complex photo chemical compositing in film history. Just look at that final space battle, back then every single ship, and background was a separate element composited over and over until completed. There's definitely too many of them!

Watching ANH 2.5 and I am at a loss for words. Absolutely stunned by the crispy, visceral quality, everything feels so intimate and real, even the audio is so up close you can hear the orchestra shuffle about. Very weird to feel this way about a movie I've watched so many times.

Kind of an eloquent statement on the problem with the prequels, they're all distant, smothered in bloom and retouching, like a far away dream.

And yes ANH is campy but it's also cozy, brilliantly paced and designed.

Guest bitroast

err. have you watched the phantom menace??

it's not cheesy at all. it literally has no flavour. it's like eating weetbix without milk..

Amidalabeforesenate.jpg

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I've ordered 2nd hand copies of those limited edition dvds as a result of this thread, thanks.

Gonna DVDShrink the theatrical versions and then drop all the rest off at a charity shop.

the despecialized edition that you can find on tons of torrent sites is about 5x better quality than the DVDs you just bought fyi

Need to see this, gonna track it down. I found a decent rip of the laserdisc trilogy in the bowels of the internet a few years ago, well worth seeking out if you can't be arsed to buy the laserdiscs and a dedicated player just to play them on. Much better than the DVDs if you're after the unaltered versions of the films

The Lowry restoration is a joke, my theory is Lucas wanted a "stopgap" restoration from a 2k master, so once again years later they could do a 4k restoration and make us buy them yet again. I refuse to buy those blu-rays, the contrast is a joke. And the Nooooooooo! Didn't help.

Guest bitroast

And the Nooooooooo! Didn't help.

Remember this?

I love that that sound is supposed to come out of this guy's mouth

guinnessalecbio.jpg

bahahaha. this flipped me out so much when watching the bu-rays and i completely forgot about it.

not only was the change completely unnecessary, the way it's forced into the mix is just so poorly done. plus the sound is ridiculous and cheap as >?? my god.

Guest bitroast

lol yeah. or that sick horn sample.

altho that may get the tusken ravers breakin out into dance instead of getting them scrambling as obi was intending,..

Remember folks, the trilogy torrent doesn't have 2.0 of ESB, you're going to want "The Empire Strikes Back Despecialized Edition (1980) Harmy Fan P" for that

Archived