IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

Maybe he's Jurassic Worldifying the script to make it more in line with his artistic vision.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode VIII delayed til December 15, 2017

Also, it's rumoured Rian Johnson (director) is doing "extensive rewrites" - I hope Episode VII wasn't a fluke...

Supposedly the script was written before ep7 debuted and introduced a lot more new characters, but when they saw how well received Finn Rey & Poe were they revisited the script to focus on them more & give them bigger parts.

Good news, imo.

Guest bitroast

Good news, imo.

agreed.

would like to see the big top cats see internet react positively to the delay and realise more time is better, but deep down we all know they're more interesting in pumping out the "Quality Produce" as quickly as Po$$ible.

Unfortunately, it looks like Star Wars won't top Avatar's worldwide record - while the Chinese opening weekend was a record-setter, it's already been dethroned at the top spot there.

Sitting at 1.87 billion, analysts are now saying it may not even top Titanic's 2.19 billion, and optimistically will land somewhere in between Titanic and Avatar (2.79 billion).

Still, that's a big inroad to making back the 4.5 billion they paid Lucas for the franchise...

but doesn't this thing have a much stronger long-term reach?

i.e. there is not a titanic 2.

and if the next SW eps come out, people will watch the old eps again etc etc ETC

Unfortunately, it looks like Star Wars won't top Avatar's worldwide record - while the Chinese opening weekend was a record-setter, it's already been dethroned at the top spot there.

Sitting at 1.87 billion, analysts are now saying it may not even top Titanic's 2.19 billion, and optimistically will land somewhere in between Titanic and Avatar (2.79 billion).

Still, that's a big inroad to making back the 4.5 billion they paid Lucas for the franchise...

Do those figures include like, DVD/blu ray sales etc?

Guest bitroast

star wars is the franchise that keeps on giving (original trilogy, prequel trilogy, whole saga boxsets, clone wars, tv shows, new movies, spinoff movies, dvds, blu-rays, videogames/EA partnership, battlefront, etc. , etc. , etc. )

in the long run, who still cares about Avatar ?

that 4billion purchase was a steal.

Not sure whether i would agree with those analysts. I'd expect a longer tail (amount of tickets sold after x time after release) than those analists probably used for their predictions. Nowadays shorter tails seem to be the norm, but I suspect star wars will be an exception. More people with multiple views, and possibly more demands from the audience even to keep star wars longer in cinemas than what is currently the norm.

Disclaimer: i'm not saying this because i believe this is such a friggin good movie ( i went to see the h8ful eight instead of star wars recently, and i'd rather pay to see the big short instead of sw, alright), but because my crystal ball is sooo much better than all those overpaid analysts ;D

blah blah blah

This movie better improve after the 45 min mark. And this is supposed to be the best one?

re: my earlier complaints about ESB, it did get a lot better after the first 45min. The scene where they froze han was good.

So I finally watched it today. Though I'm not necessarily a die-hard Star Wars fan, I thought it was well-done overall. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley were the right choices as protagonists. And it was a trip, seeing three of the original 1977 cast members as well. Also, WAY better than any of the prequels...I thought.

But damn, that part where

Han Solo got killed by his own son...was a big "oh, shit..." moment for me.

Anyway, well done, J.J. Abrams.

been really enjoying reading about the drafts for Star Wars Sequel after the original 1977 film.

there's two main drafts/storys to read from.

one is the novel by Alan Dean Foster called Splinter of the Mind's Eye, written as a story outline for a possible lowbudget sequel in the event the first film wasn't financially successful. didn't have harrison ford signed for a sequel yet so the story focuses on luke + leia crashing landing on a jungle planet and in search of a force enhancing red crystal, which darth vader is also in search of. + hints of apparent luke and leia sexual tension ?? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

secondly, there's a script called STAR WARS SEQUEL, written by Leigh Brackett.

this one gets pretty wacky and again seems to establish the idea that most of the star wars universe wasn't exactly figured out but more made up as the films were being made.

http://scyfilove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-Brackett-Draft.pdf

there a countless web articles summarizing the two if you search for them, etc. - http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-wars/251045/star-wars-dissecting-leigh-bracketts-rough-draft-for-the-empire-strikes-back

check out the cover for Splinter of the Mind's Eye, as painted by star wars concept artist / matte painter ralph mcquarrie ..

byBuOxQ.jpg

I had the Dark Horse Comic adaption of that novel. A favorite of mine was Alan Moore's contributions to Marvel's SW comic series. Weird, weird stuff. They were reissued in the 90s as "Devil Worlds Vol 1 & 2"

tilotny3-png.png?w=600

Fucking love anything to do with pre-ROTJ drafts, early EU books and other weird SW spin-off stuff of that era. ANH especially has just enough of a foot in the door with other 70s era sci-fi to make it still feel and look a bit different than the others. I love that aesthetic, the same shit that also adorned Dayvans and was subject to "Stardust Cowboy" music and other kistch 70s Americana, including SW ripoff/homage stuff.

rust-never-sleeps-movie-poster-1979-1020

Guest bitroast

nice! had no idea on the alan moore star wars comics..

( also need to pick up some comics with williamson illustrations because ...

Photo+Dec+04,+9+34+16+PM.png

Archived