IGNORED

Is this (SYRO) the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

mcbpete

Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

• Yep
    • Nope

As in Aphex rather than the other aliases. This'll be my second (Drukqs being my first, since I bought Come To Daddy and Windowlicker on a whim in the late 90s after hearing my brothers copy of his mix for NIN). Remember the excitement from the brief Afx237 v.7 snippet followed by the two track sampler (or was it the other way round ?) - when the album was finally released I nearly wet my pants.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I got hooked on Aphex via the John Peel show, just before the On EP came out in late 93. SAW II was the first album that was released after that; I bought it on cassette the day it came out.

Nice - proper ol' skool :) SAWII ended up being my first album purchase myself too, though by that point it'd been out many years beforehand. Think my album buys were something like:

SAW II

I Care Because You Do

SAW I

Drukqs (on launch day)

Richard D James Album

26 Mixes for Cash (if that counts)

Nope. I was an instant fan after hearing "...I care because you do", shortly after that was released. I heard about the "Richard D. James Album" upcoming release from my trusty local music store ("Music Matters" in St. Augustine, FL), and we super-excited. Been following the Twin ever since.

Negative. Been following him since 1994. Bought SAW2 on a whim based on the CD artwork. Lucky guess. Loved it, bought what else I could, and have gotten everything else as it was released.

I got into aphex around mid-2000, so Drukqs was first for me. I had a dialup connection so didn't get to hear much of it at all, just a snippit of the middle of Taking Control (on the warp site maybe?) and Avril 14 from the leak because the file size was relatively small. Those were the days, of having to wait until the CD was in your possession before listening! I couldn't order online either, so had to keep calling the record store and asking if they had it in.

No. It was drukqs. Although a launch of a new album seems like an entirely different beast in the internet age. Before I basically had to be lucky enough to read a review in a music magazine. You know, paper magazine. Or the promo material in my favourite record store. Come to think of it, I only started doing pre-orders in the days WARP started to be an online shop.

In the old days I just stumbled across new releases without any anticipation.

No. It was drukqs. Although a launch of a new album seems like an entirely different beast in the internet age. Before I basically had to be lucky enough to read a review in a music magazine. You know, paper magazine. Or the promo material in my favourite record store. Come to think of it, I only started doing pre-orders in the days WARP started to be an online shop.

In the old days I just stumbled across new releases without any anticipation.

Absolutely man, back then I'd learn most of news/new releases at the time from Future Music magazine. I think I even bought NME once as it had Avril 14th on the CD, so snippets were hard to get hold of (I didn't get the internet till close to release of Drukqs, and the dial up speeds made downloading leaks pretty much prohibitive) . This definitely has a different feel than Drukqs launch

Never bought any Aphex Twin apart from an analord mp3.

Weird! Always bummed CDs of mates, was back in the day. Forgot to listen to Drukqs for like 6-7 years after release.

This is despite him being #1 & #2 on my last.fm.

I have, however, filled his coffers with fuckin loads of live gig moolah and am trying to buy the stupid limited edition LP to make up for it all.

I own fuckin loads of squarepusher CDs tho, I always thought he looked like he needed the money more.

I have bought and owned several afx t shirts tho, the new green/red shirts are SO SHIT, last like 2 washes, utter garbage. Warp did some blissful ones back in the day that lasted for ever and ever.

Aye, had the Aphex black T-shirt with white logo for many many years. Ended up giving it to a clothing bank years later still in good condition as the 'large' size was like wearing a bloody tent - don't know why I used to buy my T-shirts so big back then.

no, but the excitement never been that huge

Same here! I completely agree with Aphex (one of those snippets from the recent interviews) that music has never been as good as it's been lately. New Aphex--especially with the confirmed tracks--only adds to the improving body of recent tunes!

Guest jasondonervan

I bought Drukqs on release, but all pre-Drukqs Aphex was listened to on tape and minidisc for me. The main source was my friend's sister's boyfriend, who was at university while we were still at college - he was the catalyst for me getting into all things Warp, MoWax, etc. He sent us loads of tape rips of albums, that's really where it all started for me. During college I'd pick up the NME on a weekly basis, this was around the time that they barely needed an excuse to post an article about Richard... how times change.

I was excited for Drukqs, but Syro is definitely on the next rung above that. Being swept up in all the excitement with everyone here really adds to the fun, as witnessed with BoC and Autechre releases in recent times.

Spent ten weeks of the summer '96 working at a slaughterhouse. Took the money and went on an autumn holiday to London for a week. Came home with Polygon Window, Analogue Bubblebath, I Care Because You Do and a bunch of other records. Then bought RDJ Album brand new a couple of months later.

Like many I got in to Aphex thanks to the higher profile after the Come To Daddy/Windowlicker videos.

I remember downloading Soulseek for the first time in '01 because that was the easiest place to get hold of Drukqs just prior to the release. Im pretty sure it was the Joyrex.com mb that sent me there too lol.

Archived