IGNORED

Why does EVERYONE talk like a valley girl?!?!?!?

Lane Visitor

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strongly disagree

on the inflection or the brains plugged in?

Australians can sometimes have that upward inflection at the end of some sentences, but at least it sounds as if their brains are plugged in

What about Scouse?

https://youtu.be/sWAUrHODRWM

Liverpool is such a melting pot,,,,,, the influence of northern Welsh is massive with the ywch/throaty hacking twang, lashings of Irish accents from all over the Emerald Isle, plus previous Hiberno-Norse & then all of the later industrial port-era migration that flooded the city.

A cunning linguist would give you a much more concise appraisal.

Strongly disagree

Australians can sometimes have that upward inflection at the end of some sentences, but at least it sounds as if their brains are plugged in

What about Scouse?

https://youtu.be/sWAUrHODRWM

Liverpool is such a melting pot,,,,,, the influence of northern Welsh is massive with the ywch/throaty hacking twang, lashings of Irish accents from all over the Emerald Isle, plus previous Hiberno-Norse & then all of the later industrial port-era migration that flooded the city.

A cunning linguist would give you a much more concise appraisal.

When I visit the UK, I want you to be my tour guide.

Strongly disagree

The brains plugged in bit.

No offense to our Oz-based WATMMoids.

The one I absolutely can't stand and has been tormenting me for 3 years now is "right???" with an outsized upward inflection as a confirmation response. "Everyone is talking like a Valley girl"

"I know, riiiiight???"

"It's annoying"

"Riiiiiiight????".

It's fucking everywhere. "Riiight?" and vocal fry are enough to makeep you want to throttle someone

Yup.. "Riiiight??" is the worst of them all. I find myself saying it from time to time almost unconsciously and i die just a little bit each time i notice i said it.

Wanna disgust yourself?

Here try this:

Keep your lips closed, and mutter just the faintest "wwww" that's more of a vibration like a millisecond long as a lip-propelling starting point of your "Riiight??", right before you say it, almost like "wwriiiight?" but sorta a silent ww.. you could also use the M consonant as mouth formation alternate if you'd like. Then your next task is to, one microsecond later, do an "rrrr" sound almost like a dog... then an "AHH" like your in the dentists office -- but not for long, like a half a millisecond.. followed immediately by "eeee" ... note: you may take as long as you'd like on this vowel as the "eee" can be anywhere from a millisecond to even several seconds.. go ahead try as long as 5 or 7 seconds to go for ultra valley girl.. the "T" at the end actually doesn't even matter.. most of the time, it's best to mute it as muting the "T" at the end actually accentuates the vowels which are by and far the most meaningful aspects of the word.

Occasionally I'll do it ironically with my friends, but nobody here (at least nobody I've met/remember) speaks with a valley girl accent.

sometimes, i hear americans talk amongst themselves here in Amsterdam. for some of them, but definitely not all of them, i can hear that they crave a validation for whatever they are saying. the intonations of the speak tell that to me. whatever is being said has so much longing that it almost leans into to the conversation partner, which practically forces the conversation partner to validate the speaker.

i think, coming from this observation, that 'like' and 'right' are just verbal outings of a deeper sense of recognition and validation of whatever is being said by the speaker.

is that common for americans?

i think, coming from this observation, that 'like' and 'right' are just verbal outings of a deeper sense of recognition and validation of whatever is being said by the speaker.

Well, I dunno, do I?

Probably the same as anyone else, innit?

Innit?

INNIT

sometimes, i hear americans talk amongst themselves here in Amsterdam. for some of them, but definitely not all of them, i can hear that they crave a validation for whatever they are saying. the intonations of the speak tell that to me. whatever is being said has so much longing that it almost leans into to the conversation partner, which practically forces the conversation partner to validate the speaker.

Deep.

Yep. Pretty much everyone everywhere talks like a moron.

Except the Inuits. They're spot on.

I read your post in the voice you are describing and it sounded like Euro trash

Archived