IGNORED

dblue GLITCH

YEK

I was born in 1979 and grew up in Durham in the North East of England. The first computer ZX spectrum, which was a gift of ten years, from 1980-ies, which are still not satisfied with the computer

That's possible! But you'll never know if you don't ask.

So here's a real answer. I bought it about a year ago, and I like it, but feel that V1 is much better. Your mileage may vary.

They've increased the amount of control over each parameter, and having midi input is a plus, but I feel that programs like "the finger" do a much better job in that arena. Where V1 used to shine for me was the 'random' setting that would play a varying effect with each bar. It was fun to just record a long stretch of this and use the bits I liked for a track.

V2, on the other hand, plays the same initially chosen random effect each bar. This removes the unpredictable nature that I enjoyed in V1. V2 is the only one that runs 64bit and on a mac, though, so...oh well.

The glitchy effect sounds real 'obvious' too. I originally thought it was incredible but after a few playings with it couldn't make anything that didn't have the obvious dblue glitch sound to it.

The glitchy effect sounds real 'obvious' too. I originally thought it was incredible but after a few playings with it couldn't make anything that didn't have the obvious dblue glitch sound to it.

Me too. I used ages ago for a couple tracks, but the beats always came out real same-y. I just cut up my beats by hand.

with stuff like max4live out now, it makes little sense to actually use the most common go-to 'glitch' plugin.
It's just so goddamn easy to make a midi controlled or random effects switcher in Reaktor or max these days

plus I'm still a stickler for glitches done in the midi domain especially when it comes to stutter effects (or 2nd best option is to have changing short loop-points machinedrum or classic max/msp glitch style)

edit: there are also a lot of effects out there that only do one kind of 'glitch' like tape stopping or random re-arrangement of detected transients. I still use these effects sometimes but very sparingly, they aren't designed to just let run like dblue glitch. The key is just to use mini recorded passes of these for fills and things like that, relying on one for an entire layer of a track is just a bad idea no matter what fancy effect you use

dblue is cool, but i recommedn effectrix. which is kinda like dblue glitch but less.. cheesy? basically the same features as the first one but kinda better organized and slightly better sounding. dunno, i just prefer effectrix. and its for mac too. and cheaper than glitch2.

Turnado is another good alternative.

Turbinado and Effectrix are both made by Sugar Bytes

I haven't really delved into Turbinado yet, but I've been liking Effectrix. More control than DBlue with the grid style layout

I think the problem with DB Glitch is that it has a certain sound which easily identifiable.

The big problem with DBlue is the fact that people just put it on their drum track and let it go. It's painfully obvious when there's the same stutter edit in the same place on every x many bars.

It's much better to record its output to a separate channel and edit in the cool bits when appropriate. I do this a lot, tweak parameters while recording live to another track. Remove effect off main drum track and then edit together for cool, subtle effects and changes.

Archived