IGNORED

When CTD came out what was your reactiion forget video

amnesia

What was your reaction when CTD came out? Forget seeing the video.

I find CTD to be my least favourite Aphex song purely for the fact that its the closest thing to "rock music" and I hate rock. I felt as though he was trying to cash in on the NIN territory plus it was also pretty much a standard song with verse chorus etc.

What did you think again not thinking about the video if possible.

the video was cool. ;-p

That EP had some very nice music on, but i always skipped come to daddy. It's pretty throwaway. I don't have a vicious dislike of it though, just don't want to listen to it, but can see it's value it achieves it's purpose as a hard pop song. Plus it made his music way more visible, which opened more minds to his thing, so it's all good.

I love this song, it's very straight and has a top production. Also it's kind of funny. True that it's way cooler to listen to underground stuff nobody knows but this song happened to have some success. shit happens

I heard Drukqs and Windowlicker when they came out, but only heard CTD after those two, around 2003. I was really, really impressed by the climax of the shouting part, me being an angry teenager and all. I think it was a gateway track into my ventures into extreme metal, but the track itself lost its value pretty quickly + it has since been completely ruined for me because of that horrible, horrible cover some band (won't even credit them) did. Like delet, I always skip the track when listening the EP.

Last time I heard it was Dour 2009 when Aphex played it as his finishing track, turned into a nice moshpit. It felt almost nostalgic, remembering my pissed off teenager days while jumping around in a moshpit :)

Coming off of RDJ album and seeing him play Seattle right before it came out, it was exciting. Liked the track; Loved both EPs to death.

but seriously I really wouldn't put this song on the same level as a hit from a teenager-aiming pop metal band because there is a nice mixture of emotions to it. It has this direct aggressive thing you're particularly inclined to notice as a teenager, but there's also weirdness and humor to it. that's how I feel about it anyway.

It was the first Aphex track I heard.. I remember seeing the video when Trent Reznor guest programmed Rage (late night music video show in Aus) and I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd heard/seen.

Kinda hard to separate the music from the video though; I haven't really listened to it by itself more than a few times. It was interesting hearing it on the radio special the other night, I realised I hadn't heard it in a long time!

Thanks to this thread I don't even remember there was a video for Come to Daddy.

I liked the song (didn't watch the video), nice textures and such. But not really my fav, IZ-US from the EP is much better.

I can't even really separate the track from the video, probably saw the video on MTV before I heard the song on its own. The music felt pretty gimmicky, but fun, tongue in cheek and over the top. I still have the Come To Viddy VHS somewhere.

It was the first track I heard from Aphex. I was probably less than 10 years old. Pretty sure it was an older cousin who showed the video as an attempt to shock us little kids at some family function. Didn't care much for it then, and as far as I can recall, it took almost 10 years before I checked out anything else by RDJ.

I think it's aight, but I reckon his other well-known tracks are better.

i thought it was funny at the time and also an enjoyable song. I always sort of saw it as a parody of Marilyn Manson but somehow being better produced than anything than Manson ever did. The video only reinforced this idea for me with a sort of creepy almost 'smells like children' type of vibe, but also again more truly disturbing than anything Manson did either

I thought the album & video were great.

The song was great too. I don't think he was exactly trying to "cash in" on the whole NIN association. I was already a big fan of his, at the time and took it as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek poke at scary industrial metal. Everyone else seemed to project this idea that it was a genuinely freaky thing onto it. I just thought it was him having a goof.

It's followed by "Flim" on the EP. That, in itself is a bit of a button on the joke. It's like him saying "ok. Joke is over. Back to pretty music."

I think Richard has even said it was a bit of a joke.

I also remember that "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball" was literally mind-blowing, at the time. I hadn't heard anything like the ball-bouncing beats, before that. It was great to play for stoned people to watch them freak out.

i thought it was funny at the time and also an enjoyable song. I always sort of saw it as a parody of Marilyn Manson but somehow being better produced than anything than Manson ever did. The video only reinforced this idea for me with a sort of creepy almost 'smells like children' type of vibe, but also again more truly disturbing than anything Manson did either

Yeah, interestingly I managed to find the quote of Reznor introducing the clip and he says something similar:

Next up is a video by the Aphex Twin, who is Richard James and, ah—kind of a madman of sound and process, and he's been a big influence in the NIN camp. This video, when it came out.. Chris Cunningham, I believe, directed it; this is Come to Daddy. I remember sitting around in the studio when we first saw this and I was—um—we were all pretty pissed off because it was so good and it was horrifying and it was—ahh... I think you'll like it.

I discovered the video first on Warp's website in skippy Real Audio (maybe one frame/second in a tiny window) at my cousin's house on a late weekend night. The immediacy of streaming the clip was pretty thrilling, and the low bit-rate added to a song like Come To Daddy. The video and the audio go hand-in-hand in my mind and is the best experience of that particular song. When I got the CD, Flim quickly became the go-to track of the album and I loved it / it fucked me up emotionally before the second "chorus" hit. I don't remember ever disliking Come To Daddy the track on that album, but Flim was obviously the star track of the EP and the other tracks were all second to Flim, only Iz-us came close, though the other tracks were fun and interesting to discover. Back to Come To Daddy the track, once I got ahold of Dillinger Escape Plan's cover, I started really enjoying listening to that one and putting it in a lot of my mixtapes, it segued really well with a Stock Hausen & Walkman track called Trick Piano from Oh My Bag, which in turn segued really well into Hallo by Astrobotnia vol. 1.

It was the first Aphex track I heard.. I remember seeing the video when Trent Reznor guest programmed Rage (late night music video show in Aus) and I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd heard/seen.

2001/2?! I had the exact same experience

Ah yeah, I remember seeing Windowlicker not long after Come To Daddy, late at night on Alchemy! I think the contrast between those two tracks (and the tracks on the NIN remix albums) led me to investigate further, heh.

I think it was a gateway track into my ventures into extreme metal,

Haha to me it was the other way around, I used to be a metal kid when I was younger but nowadays there's only a handful of bands I still listen to.

I loved Come To Daddy when I first heard it, but nowadays I always skip it.

I love the rest of the EP though.

Funny that americans posters thinks about NIN or marilyn manson coz when i first heard the track, i thought it was rather related to Firestarter by Prodigy, a HUGE track by then (1996), like doing scary techno with grimace/screaming vocals, in the AFX mode, like AFX getting scarier than Keith Flint. I love the ep.

Archived