IGNORED

new squarepusher show (with new material) in march

d-a-m-o

2 tickets for London for sale tonight - my girlfriend is wiped out after Bloc, so we've decided to catch the Brighton show instead as that's where we live

Open to reasonable offers for WATMMers, drop me a line :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

twitter.com/VincentTetraedr/status/577571290321690624

Ow my ears.

Yeah that was the pretty harsh intro to the gig. Hope that one isn't on the album, as it was way below the other tracks he played later on !

Nice video, anyone care to spill the beans, their thoughts etc on the new material and show?

Enjoyed the video on the WATMM Facebook page too, wanna know what styles to expect.

I normally pre-order Squarepusher releases the moment they're available but just haven't felt enthused enough about the last 4 or so releases to buy without hearing first or having a really good idea of what to expect. Even if there's only a couple of tracks I dig that's enough to get me to part with my money.

I loved it last night, possibly my favourite SP gig. The new stuff all sounds pretty exciting. There was one that I wasn't as keen on as much but overall it was brilliant. Interspersed with a few classics too.

The encore was Tetra Sync which I've always had a boner for so it was a perfect end to an excellent show for me.

Was funny to watch a load of people leave before the encore then rush back in after missing half of TS.

Was a shame bout not being able to move around but at least I could see the entire time. Later on people started getting up and dancing about, only to be told to sit down straight away. I guess getting in people's way, but you feel the urge to have a boogie after sitting there waiting for a few hours.

Was a shame bout not being able to move around but at least I could see the entire time. Later on people started getting up and dancing about, only to be told to sit down straight away. I guess getting in people's way, but you feel the urge to have a boogie after sitting there waiting for a few hours.

you had to sit during the concert ? thats terrible ! when I saw him live i couldnt stand stil for one sec , jumping around like a crazy ballet dancer on ecstasy.

Should've written about this a few days when it was still fresh in my memory but ...

Yeah it was a really good set - was sat right in the back row which despite fears of not being to see anything actually ended up being fine due to the big projector screen thing he had and the really good sound system (in which I got to test out my ear protector buds which worked a treat - attenuated the volume nicely without harming the EQ at all).

Was kinda telling that he started off with DYKSP/Go Plastic era tracks with what sort of direction the set was going to take: A celebration of the tech of the early 00s gen Squarepusher mixed with the modern direction he's taken in recent alums. Each track started with quick flashes of sets of Reaktor ensembles on the big screen accompanied by a cool little drone, each track had a different set of ensembles on show, so I wondering if they were indeed the setups used to create each track he was about to play.

Of the new tracks being played they all seemed a technical improvement of his last few albums, some pieces were Ufabulum-esque, some were Just A Souvenir-esue, but (though this is difficult to tell whether this was just for the live performance or will be the same in the album versions) definitely seemed technically superior. It'll be interesting to hear whether the album actually captures some of the energy from the live performance or if the mixing & mastering will let it down again. There was one new track in particular which had awesome live reacting visuals that I felt as much rush of energy as some of his epic greats (a la Tundra 4 or Tetra-Sync) - there was so much going on in fact that the frame rate of the projection kept on hiccuping trying to display all the goings on !

After the selection of new stuff he came back to a couple of Ultravisitor era tracks (Steinbolt and the aforementioned Tetra-Sync) again sort of wrapping up what I guess is his premise of the album: A mixture of the new and old (well, old-ish, post-Selection Sixteen anyway!) Squarepusher all car crashed together, in a good way. The whole thing ended with him leaving the bass guitar on the floor with an infinite sustain of the wildly strummed last notes of Tetra-Sync - Perfick.

But ooh ... from hearing the preview track that was released a week or two ago I'm just worried that's not quite going come across in the album. But I so hope it does.

Should've written about this a few days when it was still fresh in my memory but ...

Yeah it was a really good set - was sat right in the back row which despite fears of not being to see anything actually ended up being fine due to the big projector screen thing he had and the really good sound system (in which I got to test out my ear protector buds which worked a treat - attenuated the volume nicely without harming the EQ at all).

Was kinda telling that he started off with DYKSP/Go Plastic era tracks with what sort of direction the set was going to take: A celebration of the tech of the early 00s gen Squarepusher mixed with the modern direction he's taken in recent alums. Each track started with quick flashes of sets of Reaktor ensembles on the big screen accompanied by a cool little drone, each track had a different set of ensembles on show, so I wondering if they were indeed the setups used to create each track he was about to play.

Of the new tracks being played they all seemed a technical improvement of his last few albums, some pieces were Ufabulum-esque, some were Just A Souvenir-esue, but (though this is difficult to tell whether this was just for the live performance or will be the same in the album versions) definitely seemed technically superior. It'll be interesting to hear whether the album actually captures some of the energy from the live performance or if the mixing & mastering will let it down again. There was one new track in particular which had awesome live reacting visuals that I felt as much rush of energy as some of his epic greats (a la Tundra 4 or Tetra-Sync) - there was so much going on in fact that the frame rate of the projection kept on hiccuping trying to display all the goings on !

After the selection of new stuff he came back to a couple of Ultravisitor era tracks (Steinbolt and the aforementioned Tetra-Sync) again sort of wrapping up what I guess is his premise of the album: A mixture of the new and old (well, old-ish, post-Selection Sixteen anyway!) Squarepusher all car crashed together, in a good way. The whole thing ended with him leaving the bass guitar on the floor with an infinite sustain of the wildly strummed last notes of Tetra-Sync - Perfick.

But ooh ... from hearing the preview track that was released a week or two ago I'm just worried that's not quite going come across in the album. But I so hope it does.

nice review !

Wow. The only copy of Ultravisitor I have is a pirated copy from years ago, and it didn't include Tetra Sync so this thread is my first time hearing it. Buy your music kids.

This video contains content from [Merlin] Warp Records, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Told ya.

Loving the live edits on these sets, Modern Bass Guitar is also great the way he mutes the drums and just lets the bassline play.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw him in Los Angeles this past Monday and...

HOLY. FUCK. TOM.

twas one of the best shows I've ever seen! just so good, the music and visuals were incredible. first half in space suit/fencing mask, then regular tom mode with bass git pieces for second half. I no longer have any doubts about damogen furies whatsoever and preordered my copy. can't wait.

Archived