IGNORED

Aphex Twin & Luke Vibert - Live @ Pukkelpop (22nd of August 2002)

Herr Jan

It's time to make a definitive thread on this mix. Basically it's my favourite mix of all time ever since I stumbled upon it at age 12. It's also still my most listened to set ever, but I never could find anything about the tracks played in it except for Yazoo - Don't Go... Over the years I added a few tracks to the list (just like their Ultrasound broadcast which is also almost complete + Aphex's Snowbombing set), but never got very far without proper jungle / hiphop / break knowledge. I do remember going nuts when Ceephax finally released that Turrican track and later when Luke released that Plug track, just because of the nostalgia from this set.

I always listened the 55 minute version but discovered years later that there's a 15 minute longer version, with even more acid + jungle + noise, which is exactly why this mix seemed so impressive to me compared to the typical 4/4 techno music I listened to at that age. The eclectic tracklist completely changed my mind about music and from then on I appreciated a lot of different music, so the influence from just this mix really can't be understated. Anyway, any help from watmm to complete this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwUN5LACu2I

Albert Cabrera, Carlos Rodgers & Eddie Krakaur - Why
AFX - 3 Slothscrape
Yazoo – Don’t Go
Kimberly - Misjudged Love (Barbarian Berrios Beats)
Tod Dockstader – Travelling Music / Eight Electronic Pieces #8 (throughout)
Hyper On Experience – Watchusnow
Ceephax Acid Crew – Turrican II
Victor Gama - Meninos Anjos Desceram A Rua
Plug – Drum ‘N’ Bass
(14m - 17m-ish) ?
DJ SS - Black (V.I.P. Mix)
Dillinja – Blaze It Down
Squarepusher - Kill Robok
Dynamix II – Purple Beats
MC ADE – Hit Harder
Trouble Funk – Trouble Funk Express
Herbert Eimert - Klangstudie II
MC ADE - Bass Rock Express
Kenneth Gaburo – For Harry
+ ??? (around 38m)
Ragga Twins - Juggling
+ random AFX noise throughout
Cut Chemist Meets Shortkut - Prince Of The Beats
Think Tank – A Knife and a Fork
KC Flight - Planet E (Hip Hop Mix)
Information Society - Hack #1 (also released under the name Think Tank - Hack One (The Internet Worm Mix))
Grandmaster Flash - Scorpio
Stakker – Humanoid
Ace Of Clubs - Classid Three
Frances Lynch & Alejandro Viñao - Borges y el Espejo (mangled voices over SL2 around 61m)
SL2 - DJs Take Control
More AFX noise over jungle tracks like:
Dillinja & Batmix - Tear Off Ya Chest
Last fast jungle track = ?

Click here to download the Ultrasound version (shorter)

Click here to download the full version

First off, yes this is probably the best DJ set I've ever heard. And it contained this one fucking awesome track that I listened to again and again, and although I tried, I never found out who it was, but I heard rumours that it was Ceephax.
So now I found out it was Ceephax, and the track was release FOUR YEARS AGO?!?! How could I miss it?! This seriously made my day, thank you so much! My #1 priority in life right now is to obtain a copy of Psychtapolis, I just love that track so so much.

[youtubehd]2ukcG-7MYgM[/youtubehd]

omg i was there when it happened :catnope:

I can't even describe my level of jealousness :emotawesomepm9: any good memories about it?

First off, yes this is probably the best DJ set I've ever heard. And it contained this one fucking awesome track that I listened to again and again, and although I tried, I never found out who it was, but I heard rumours that it was Ceephax.

So now I found out it was Ceephax, and the track was release FOUR YEARS AGO?!?! How could I miss it?! This seriously made my day, thank you so much! My #1 priority in life right now is to obtain a copy of Psychtapolis, I just love that track so so much.

Ha, I uploaded that vid immediately after release :) you can still read my excaite in the description lol. There were rumours it was Ceephax because Global Goon told watmm about it around 2003/4 (the thread is now gone but the post has been preserved):

"the first one is ceephax.

He used to live in the room opposite mine. He spent about 4

months working night and day on that track - going through

endless variations and numerous complaints from the landlord

who lived below us."

There's also a couple of pics from the gig (or are they?), the guy on the left looking a lot like Ceephax, not sure if it's him though!

afx+vibert@Pukkelpop20022.jpg

afx+vibert@Pukkelpop2002.jpg

I can't even describe my level of jealousness :emotawesomepm9: any good memories about it?

Vaguely, I missed the start and I think it was also a bit crowded at the time, and my buddies at the time weren't that much into Aphex. So we went in, went back out for a while, and went back in again. So it was a bit fragmented and I couldn't absorb it properly... I barely remember much of it. One thing I remember was the screens with the visuals had the word "cabinet" flashing on it. I need to listen to the live recording properly again, haven't done that since. I checked it briefly and noticed a fews bits that I do remember.

The pics could very well be of the gig. I do remember a red tent and those markings looks vaguely familiar.

Ha, I uploaded that vid immediately after release :) you can still read my excaite in the description lol. There were rumours it was Ceephax because Global Goon told watmm about it around 2003/4 (the thread is now gone but the post has been preserved):

who lived below us."

Yes, that's the post I read :)

It's available on Bandcamp, fucking perfect: http://ceephax.bandcamp.com/album/psychtapolis-acid-cormorant

had just graduated highschool and immediately moved in w my girlfriend and her fam :catsuicide:

At night I would get back to her place high as fuck and put this mix on while surfing the net and posting on watmm.

Edited by colunga

1 hour 2 mins is SL2 - DJs Take Control

1 hour 5 mins is Dillinja & Batmix - Tear Off Ya Chest

Thanks!!! :music:

I also finally remembered that Vibert track before SL2, Ace Of Clubs' Classid Three!

Vaguely, I missed the start and I think it was also a bit crowded at the time, and my buddies at the time weren't that much into Aphex. So we went in, went back out for a while, and went back in again. So it was a bit fragmented and I couldn't absorb it properly... I barely remember much of it. One thing I remember was the screens with the visuals had the word "cabinet" flashing on it. I need to listen to the live recording properly again, haven't done that since. I checked it briefly and noticed a fews bits that I do remember.

The pics could very well be of the gig. I do remember a red tent and those markings looks vaguely familiar.

Bummer man! Still jealous :)

Funny, for some reason I always pictured the gig as being for only a handful of people and taking place in the middle of the day in the sun. Probably because it was summer when I first heard it as a kid and I thought that nobody would listen to this type of music.

I've always wondered about the format, who played what tracks etc did they switch between tracks?

I'm positive it was Aphex who played Tod Dockstader, Frances Lynch, Kenneth Gaburo, Squarepusher and the other noisy bits. For some reason he's always doing that, see the Ultrasound broadcast, the Snowbombing gig and the Aphex + Hecker gigs, which was basically taking this concept further but he let Hecker do the noisey bits so he could concentrate on the ravey stuff.

Besides that it's just guessing :) Aphex claimed he didn't like Hip Hop, so that makes it a bit easier too to deduct too?

I'm more familliar with the shorter version of this mix, which for whatever reason I seem to remember was part of a belgian radio show called "Switch", in fact in the shorter mix a woman's voice can heard saying "switch" around the 20 minute mark. I agree w you about the Aphex selections^^^ and most likely Vibert played Scorpio but both are big on Dynamix... who knows!?

i made myself LOL hard when i pictured andy being accosted by the landlord about the "noise"

that would have been a real funny moment to record to film or audio

especially with andy's sense of humor.

who lived below us."

I'm more familliar with the shorter version of this mix, which for whatever reason I seem to remember was part of a belgian radio show called "Switch", in fact in the shorter mix a woman's voice can heard saying "switch" around the 20 minute mark. I agree w you about the Aphex selections^^^ and most likely Vibert played Scorpio but both are big on Dynamix... who knows!?

That is still my fave version too, downloaded from zilty (in horrible quality) I think. I always thought the 'Switch' sample was to indicate they would switch turns on the decks, but that's highly unlikely of course :)

I just skimmed through the Noyzelab interview in search for more unknown artists, and with the first one I found I immediately hit the jackpot with the first hit on YouTube:

Herbert Eimert: Klangstudie II (1952)

most likely another Aphex selection played over Luke's choice (I assume) - Trouble Funk Express (around 34 min. in the full set above).

• 1 month later...

Nice mix, never heard it before!

But what's up with the stereo split that happens from time to time in the mix? Is it on purpose?

who lived below us."

There's also a couple of pics from the gig (or are they?), the guy on the left looking a lot like Ceephax, not sure if it's him though!

attachicon.gifafx+vibert@Pukkelpop20022.jpg

attachicon.gifafx+vibert@Pukkelpop2002.jpg

These are pictures of afx & luke @ pukkelpop..

I know because I took em :)

Just made an account to verify that they are real..

Anywayzz I was like 18 years old and traveled to Hasseld belgium to check out aphex...

I was first put off by the remixes and dj set that I heard and couldn't believe it was aphex..

I even didn't know who luke vibert was back then ^_^

The venue where they played was called boiler room and the stage was quite high.. A couple of people tried climbing the stage to see either aphex or luke..

They where "corrected" by bouncers or security ... My 2 friends picked me up (the huge nerd/fan that I was/am) and I could snap 2 pictures with a trow away camera

Lost them in the digital decay as what I'm calling my "storage" system and happy to find them here..

Later on I "got" what was happening at pukkelpop by listing alot to this mix and understanding what aphex and luke did that day..

On a side note I think to remember that they either started earlier or later than scheaduled..

Edited by koro

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 11/28/2014 at 6:10 AM, Herr Jan said:

It's time to make a definitive thread on this mix. Basically it's my favourite mix of all time ever since I stumbled upon it at age 12. It's also still my most listened to set ever, but I never could find anything about the tracks played in it except for Yazoo - Don't Go... Over the years I added a few tracks to the list (just like their Ultrasound broadcast which is also almost complete + Aphex's Snowbombing set), but never got very far without proper jungle / hiphop / break knowledge. I do remember going nuts when Ceephax finally released that Turrican track and later when Luke released that Plug track, just because of the nostalgia from this set.

I always listened the 55 minute version but discovered years later that there's a 15 minute longer version, with even more acid + jungle + noise, which is exactly why this mix seemed so impressive to me compared to the typical 4/4 techno music I listened to at that age. The eclectic tracklist completely changed my mind about music and from then on I appreciated a lot of different music, so the influence from just this mix really can't be understated. Anyway, any help from watmm to complete this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwUN5LACu2I

Opening track - ?
AFX - 3 Slothscrape
Yazoo – Don’t Go
Kimberly - Misjudged Love (Barbarian Berrios Beats)
Tod Dockstader – Travelling Music / Eight Electronic Pieces #8 (throughout)
Hyper On Experience – Watchusnow
Ceephax Acid Crew – Turrican II
Victor Gama - Meninos Anjos Desceram A Rua
Plug – Drum ‘N’ Bass
(14m - 17m-ish) ?
DJ SS - Black (V.I.P. Mix)
Dillinja – Blaze It Down
Squarepusher - Kill Robok
Dynamix II – Purple Beats
MC ADE – Hit Harder
Trouble Funk – Trouble Funk Express
Herbert Eimert - Klangstudie II
MC ADE - Bass Rock Express
Kenneth Gaburo – For Harry
+ ??? (around 38m)
Ragga Twins - Juggling
+ random AFX noise throughout
Cut Chemist Meets Shortkut - Prince Of The Beats
Think Tank – A Knife and a Fork
KC Flight - Planet E (Hip Hop Mix)
Information Society - Hack #1 (also released under the name Think Tank - Hack One (The Internet Worm Mix))
Grandmaster Flash - Scorpio
Stakker – Humanoid
Ace Of Clubs - Classid Three
Frances Lynch & Alejandro Viñao - Borges y el Espejo (mangled voices over SL2 around 61m)
SL2 - DJs Take Control
More AFX noise over jungle tracks like:
Dillinja & Batmix - Tear Off Ya Chest
Last fast jungle track = ?

Click here to download the Ultrasound version (shorter)

Click here to download the full version

I'm pretty sure 14-17 minute mark is an unreleased Plug track called King Ring